Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-23-2010, 07:56 PM   #61
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Now -that- is a cover. I love the texture. What is it, distressed leather?

I really want to write a western twist story. But, I'm not well read enough in the genre to take a stab at it. Something steampunkish would be awesome. But my TBR pile and TBW pile are getting way too long...

How do you shrink them down to 150px?

Last edited by jaxx6166; 05-23-2010 at 07:58 PM.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:11 PM   #62
Dusty Bottoms
Banned
Dusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipse

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Now -that- is a cover. I love the texture. What is it, distressed leather?

I really want to write a western twist story. But, I'm not well read enough in the genre to take a stab at it. Something steampunkish would be awesome. But my TBR pile and TBW pile are getting way too long...

How do you shrink them down to 150px?
It's actually a mixture of old paper textures sourced from deviantart and other places with different blends:

To resize go to Image > Scale Image (remember to File > Save a Copy and not File > Save) Once you've resized save the copy out then do a quick Undo so you don't lose your original size mistakenly (Like I've done more than once )

Want to write a western, read one of each of these Max Brand, Louis Lamour, Elmore Leonard and then watch Deadwood TV series...the rest is just having fun

EDIT: I've sent you a PM with my private contact details. If you need any help on covers or just to bounce around ideas, you can reach me there in the coming weeks (I don't have the time or the inclination to be around here at the moment)

EDIT 2: If you want any of the original gimp XCF's to play around with and use in your own designs, just drop me a line at the email I sent and I'll whisk them over to you.

Last edited by Dusty Bottoms; 05-23-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Dusty Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2010, 08:19 PM   #63
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
do you know bittbox ? probably yes but just in case i thought i'd mention it. i LOVE that guy ; he posts all kinds of amazing ultra-high res textures you can download for free, and makes crazy photoshop and illustrator brushes and tutorials as well. i have learned a lot just wandering around his site and gotten some unbelievable ressources too. everybody should have his site bookmarked. oh, and he makes fonts too.

seriously, the guy is awesome.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:52 PM   #64
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Never heard of him before today. Zelda you're my hero. You've given me yet another thing to waste precious writing time on :-)

Karma cookies to you!
Old 05-24-2010, 09:19 AM   #65
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Never heard of him before today. Zelda you're my hero. You've given me yet another thing to waste precious writing time on :-)

Karma cookies to you!
heheh, glad to pass along the info. i should warn you though, don't go to that site unless you've got several hours free...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2010, 06:36 PM   #66
jaxx6166
Wizard

Here's the newest one. I gave up on the Wilfrey books for JuNo. The intricacies made my brain hurt. I need something quick easy and fun for JuNo. So, enter Blood Moon. My weird western.

Quote:
Jake Dollop is a man down on his luck. The rumor of gold in Diablo Hill is too good to pass up. But, the mountain holds a secret. A secret that the people of Apex Village died for. A secret that could change the world...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blood Moon.png
Views:	224
Size:	908.5 KB
ID:	52531  
Old 06-29-2010, 06:05 PM   #67
jaxx6166
Wizard

My buddy's designing a cover for his work right now. Here's his rough...The issue I have is there's no blending between the two images. Any idea how to fix this?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DEK.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	54298  
Old 06-29-2010, 06:38 PM   #68
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
My buddy's designing a cover for his work right now. Here's his rough...The issue I have is there's no blending between the two images. Any idea how to fix this?
Really hard to do (at least beyond my meagre thrown together skills). I'd go for a full page on the images and break them down the centre with a sword splitting the image. I'll see if I can do a mockup.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #69
jaxx6166
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Really hard to do (at least beyond my meagre thrown together skills). I'd go for a full page on the images and break them down the centre with a sword splitting the image. I'll see if I can do a mockup.
That'd be great. I've cut them in half and hit every filter I can think of. I'd suggested originally that he beak them up with a jagged edge, but can't figure out how to do that. Sword sounds like it could work.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:46 PM   #70
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

This is extremely rough (rougher than an arse made out of sandpaper) but it should give you something to mess around with, and if you need the sword image from this to use, I have the link to the SXU page (I used these swords before, they're quite cool).

EDIT: Source for the sword image. http://www.sxc.hu/browse.phtml?f=download&id=324062
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mockup.png
Views:	166
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	54299  

Last edited by Moejoe; 06-29-2010 at 06:49 PM. Reason: added link
Old 06-29-2010, 08:14 PM   #71
jaxx6166
Wizard

Heres a quick mockup on my end..

sent your mockup to my buddy. He's loving the different take on what he came up with. I like the full page. And the sword. Trying to mess with it to get a similar effect, did you hit it with that cloth filter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DEK2.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	54301  

Last edited by jaxx6166; 06-29-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #72
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Heres a quick mockup on my end..

sent your mockup to my buddy. He's loving the different take on what he came up with. I like the full page. And the sword. Trying to mess with it to get a similar effect, did you hit it with that cloth filter
No filters. Just duplicated the sword about four times or so and used a burn blend on the topmost sword. I dropped a paper texture over the top as well and 'overlay' on the blend.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:48 AM   #73
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
Is this sort of what you were originally looking for?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BlackGodsWarCover.png
Views:	179
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	54413  
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:31 PM   #74
jaxx6166
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by capidamonte View Post
Is this sort of what you were originally looking for?
Holy crap yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. You're my new hero. How did you manage?
Old 07-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #75
jaxx6166
Wizard

Blood Moon has a new name and a new cover. I still can't figure out this text from paths thing though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Beyond the Hills.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	54455