Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #196
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeighs View Post
I've had 4 of them now, no two are the same, and they all have hues to one degree or another. I've decided that the perfect PW screen is as elusive as Bigfoot.
I agree and it's a shame. I seem to be especially sensitive to the hues as I have yet to see one that is actually perfect with zero hues (to my eyes) whether online or in person. I was really hoping they had fixed the problem. I'm starting to think the next version may suffer from the same problems too, especially considering many people don't notice the hues at all.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #197
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I am thankful I got one with no color blobs or splotches at all. It's a 503 but the screen has no issues. The font could be darker but I can deal with it due the light being adjustable.
Thankfully, the font on the one I'm keeping is perfect. Lighter font would be a dealbreaker for me. I can adjust to a certain amount of color hue differences (within reason), but text/font that isn't dark/sharp drives me batty lol.
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #198
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I agree and it's a shame. I seem to be especially sensitive to the hues as I have yet to see one that is actually perfect with zero hues (to my eyes) whether online or in person. I was really hoping they had fixed the problem. I'm starting to think the next version may suffer from the same problems too, especially considering many people don't notice the hues at all.
I haven't seen a clear one either --except maybe the ones in Amazon's ad. Even while browsing on this forum, I've seen uploaded pics of PW's with "perfect screens" and I see rainbows. The one I'm keeping, though, is pretty good. I have to look real hard to see the hues. Still, I shouldn't see them at all no matter how hard I look. The more I read, the more I'm thinking that it's the cheap LED lights they are using that are causing the issue.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #199
TheSacredSoul
Mithrandir
TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
All these hues problems is making be crazy nervous. Getting mine in 4 days... And as I am getting mine from a 3rd party importer(Amazon doesn't ship here). requesting an exchange from Amazon is going to be a challenge.

May I be as lucky as Blossom.
TheSacredSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #200
CindyLynn
CindyLynn began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite, Nook HD
Thumbs up

I got mine yesterday and its a 503 with no color hue problems and the lighting is pretty even. The bottom 1/2 you can barley see any shadowing. Even in a completely dark room with the light all the way up. glad my internet got turned on early. and I decided to try the amazon prime. (free trial) now off to read the sample of "what to expect when your expecting" and possible borrow it from the prime library , even though this is my 3rd baby. sorry im rambling. lol
CindyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #201
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSacredSoul View Post
All these hues problems is making be crazy nervous. Getting mine in 4 days... And as I am getting mine from a 3rd party importer(Amazon doesn't ship here). requesting an exchange from Amazon is going to be a challenge.

May I be as lucky as Blossom.
Good luck with yours. I just got mine (after 3 months of waiting! - Amazon shipped mine Oct 5, so it was one of the first batches sent out) and I have pink and green blotches all over my screen (not to mention 3 tiny, glowing specks). Contacted Amazon hoping they'd ship me a replacement here but no, has to be a US address. So I'm keeping it for a while, hoping I can learn to live with the rainbows. They gave me a $20 credit on ebooks for "my trouble", although I would have been happier with just a better screen.

Oh, the customer service agent I spoke to on chat still insisted this problem was "normal" and told me I could have a replacement (sent to a US address) but if I still had the same problem, they wouldn't be offering another replacement again.

(Btw I ordered two Kindles - one for me and one for my mom. She seems to have had the better luck of the draw, because while hers also has blotches, it's only in one color (green), and faint, so it comes out more even in the dark, and not quite as distracting.)

Last edited by xtine; 01-05-2013 at 08:47 PM.
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #202
TheSacredSoul
Mithrandir
TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
Good luck with yours. I just got mine (after 3 months of waiting! - Amazon shipped mine Oct 5, so it was one of the first batches sent out) and I have pink and green blotches all over my screen (not to mention 3 tiny, glowing specks). Contacted Amazon hoping they'd ship me a replacement here but no, has to be a US address. So I'm keeping it for a while, hoping I can learn to live with the rainbows. They gave me a $20 credit on ebooks for "my trouble", although I would have been happier with just a better screen.

Oh, the customer service agent I spoke to on chat still insisted this problem was "normal" and told me I could have a replacement (sent to a US address) but if I still had the same problem, they wouldn't be offering another replacement again.

(Btw I ordered two Kindles - one for me and one for my mom. She seems to have had the better luck of the draw, because while hers also has blotches, it's only in one color (green), and faint, so it comes out more even in the dark, and not quite as distracting.)
Argh man. That's a tough hand to be dealt. Looks like I'll have to live with a screen if I get it. One thing I don't get is how all the reviewers seem to get perfectly normal screen. I've literally seen tens of reviews of the paperwhite and the only screen issue they all had was the shadows caused by the LEDs. No hues or blotches anywhere. In fact, I only found out that such a problem exists on the PW after coming on to mobileread.
TheSacredSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #203
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSacredSoul View Post
Argh man. That's a tough hand to be dealt. Looks like I'll have to live with a screen if I get it. One thing I don't get is how all the reviewers seem to get perfectly normal screen. I've literally seen tens of reviews of the paperwhite and the only screen issue they all had was the shadows caused by the LEDs. No hues or blotches anywhere. In fact, I only found out that such a problem exists on the PW after coming on to mobileread.
If it helps, I read on it til 2am last night and the colors didn't bother me much once I was fully immersed in my book. Doesn't mean it doesn't bother me when I'm actually aware of them though :P I might wait til the Paperwhite is officially sold in my country before trying for a replacement again. Good luck with yours, hopefully you'll get one of the later ones that seem to have fewer problems
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:28 AM   #204
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
I haven't seen a clear one either --except maybe the ones in Amazon's ad. Even while browsing on this forum, I've seen uploaded pics of PW's with "perfect screens" and I see rainbows. The one I'm keeping, though, is pretty good. I have to look real hard to see the hues. Still, I shouldn't see them at all no matter how hard I look. The more I read, the more I'm thinking that it's the cheap LED lights they are using that are causing the issue.
I don't have a color issue with mine but seeing how the technology works. It makes sense that LEDS could have issues. All the front lit does is light up a normal eInk screen. Have you tried turning it all the way down and see if you have color discoloration?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:40 AM   #205
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
It would be nice if Amazon would add yellow leds to the mix, for a more warm feeling.
I'd love to be able to switch between current hue, and like the yellow-orange-sunset orange setting.
Perhaps in the future the ppw will have 3 color leds, with 256 color variations :-)

@Blossom:
It's funny but the pink blob on your edited photo's is exactly where it's visible on mine (not everywhere on the screen, but only faintly where your photo shows the color deviation.
The same style of pink too!

I'm thinking, the color deviation could be from light waves canceling each other out, but another theory I've been devising, is the one of a prism.
When light bounces in a glass substrate, many times along the whole screen, it might not be surprising that the colors start acting up like on a prism.
Like, if they had created a 20 in tablet, with the same glass substrate (only larger), and a few more leds for bigger power output, we might not only have seen pink, but yellow, light green, and perhaps even blue-ish deviations as well further away from the leds.
Perhaps it would have been wiser from Amazon to put even smaller leds in the device, both on the top, and bottom of the device.
That would help even out the colors on the screen somewhat, as well as better take care of the shadows on the bottom.

So aside from the wave cancellation theory, there might be a theory of wave refraction/reflection with prism effect, that could be the cause of the color deviations.

If that be the case, then unless they do something obvious, like changing the thickness of the screen, or amount of Leds, ALL kindles will have these color blobs.

And lastly,
I was reminded of some kind of middle age century painter, which I forgot the name of, who painted his paintings using too much red in his later life.
Turns out old age affected his eyes, and he became partially color blind (he could not differentiate between true colors, and colors with too much red in them, perhaps losing the sense of being able to see red in his eyes?)
Anyway, color blindness, or old age, may affect your ability to see these deviations.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #206
JLeighs
Addict

Quote:
I don't have a color issue with mine but seeing how the technology works. It makes sense that LEDS could have issues. All the front lit does is light up a normal eInk screen. Have you tried turning it all the way down and see if you have color discoloration?
That's why I think it's the LEDS. If I have the light turned all the way down, it looks almost identical to my K3 screen and there are no color hues at all. Same thing with the other devices I was sent.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #207
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
@Blossom:
It's funny but the pink blob on your edited photo's is exactly where it's visible on mine (not everywhere on the screen, but only faintly where your photo shows the color deviation.
The same style of pink too!
Quote:
That's why I think it's the LEDS. If I have the light turned all the way down, it looks almost identical to my K3 screen and there are no color hues at all. Same thing with the other devices I was sent.
I too believe it has something to do with how the frontlight works. Still much better than any clip on light can do. And the colors are there in the pictures.

I am thinking some Photoshop magic is in order. I took liberty to edit the pictures in PS. First of all the artifacts of the jpeg compression already in the "original" are quite noticeable. What I changed is this (to each photo including my own) exactly the same:

1) Convert to 32bit / channel rgb color (for higher accuracy during next steps)

2) In Hue/Saturation: Modify Saturation to +98, Lightness -60 (reduced lightness to keep similar look of the image instead of overexposed looking)

3) Convert back to 8 bit / channel (so it can be saved as jpeg) with HDR toning setting: exposure/gamma set to exposure=0.0, gamma= 1.0

4) Only on my photo: reduce image size to 25% as I was working with the original image right out of camera up until this step.

5) Save for Web with enough quality for not adding to many extra artifacts

Findings:

- I tried to do above image manipulation in 8bit/channel. Horrible. Going 32 bit made a huge difference in bringing out the color information I was looking for.

- Blossoms pictures turned into very low quality when she compressed them for smaller uploads - that was very noticeable only once I enhanced color.

- Her camera setting added to the mix of colors. Notice on the edit-blossom-pw1.jpeg how her flash or AF illumination light or lighting casts light on the middle of the picture illuminating the black of the bezel. If you ignore that, than that screen would look even more even color wise. The yellow round blob is purely from the camera, not from the PW. Even with that camera defect the picuture looks very good.

- My picture comparing my 2 PW was shot in the bathroom with light turned off (as close to dark as I can get) and light set to 24. Other than the screen hardly anything is lit up. The lightest is the flap of the cover on the right PW - that is lit by the PW shining on the flap. Very noticeable: the color temperature from left one to right one is very different. And this shot was done at the same time, so not a issue in camera setting or white balance.

- All PWs appear to be tinted a little bit greener on the top part of the screen - although this effect is much exeggerated by turning up saturation in the files.

- I love both my PW and consider them looking great. If they are too rainbowy to you, then a PW is not for you. I also would not mind using Blossoms PW - looks great.

So in short: yes, there is colors in them pictures, no doubt. Yes, that is not the same as looking at the device first hand. Yes, our cheap consumer cameras don't do justice to reality. No, judging from a picture only it is impossible to tell if you would mind in person. I consider my Nikon P500 cheap as well, but one has to compromise on quality and price. And not making any money off photography, it is unreasonable for me to get a good camera.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 01-21-2013 at 07:55 PM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #208
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
- All PWs appear to be tinted a little bit greener on the top part of the screen - although this effect is much exeggerated by turning up saturation in the files.
This is something I see on everyone's PW's (although my eyes see it more blueish) so it's interesting to see it mentioned. Great post, Duckie. Thanks for taking the time.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #209
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
This is something I see on everyone's PW's (although my eyes see it more blueish) so it's interesting to see it mentioned. Great post, Duckie. Thanks for taking the time.
You are very welcome. I was surprised to see the results this clearly myself. But there is no denying it. Some will always see it, and others don't see it as much if at all. If I look long enough and search for the hues on my PW I can see maybe some hint of it, but that is looking way to hard even for me reading or to be bothered by it.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #210
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
You are very welcome. I was surprised to see the results this clearly myself. But there is no denying it. Some will always see it, and others don't see it as much if at all. If I look long enough and search for the hues on my PW I can see maybe some hint of it, but that is looking way to hard even for me reading or to be bothered by it.
After all the replacements, I'm very happy with the one I have now in general and I do love it. (It's become the only e-reader I use.) It is so much nicer than reading with a light on my touch. However, I do think some people's eyes are very sensitive to the colors and see them more than others and unfortunately for me, I'm one of those people. I still haven't found one where I don't see the same color hue patterns, but some are definitely better than others.

I don't see them at all on the Kobo Glo or the Nook (but to me the Nook looks worse in other ways) so it makes me wonder what could be done differently to avoid them altogether. I guess we'll see what happens with the PW2.