Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-13-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
mocheesehead
mocheesehead began at the beginning.

Device: Viewsonic G-Tablet
Covers not changing

Hello All,

This is my first post. I've been doing eBooks for a couple of years but new to Calibre!

Many of the books I have, have covers that I'd like to change. When I go to "Edit Meta Information" and assign a new cover, it shows up just fine. When I double click the book to view it in the little reader utility it shows the old cover.

How do I delete the old cover and insure that the new cover works?

Thanks,

mocheesehead
mocheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Changing the metadata in calibre does not change it in the file. Metadata is only written when using: save to disk, send to device or downloadinf using the content server. Since your viewing the book in calibre the metadata changes have not been written to the file. Do note that metadata writing is highly dependent on the format. PDF for instance cannot have a new cover set.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Changing the metadata in calibre does not change it in the file. Metadata is only written when using: save to disk, send to device or downloadinf using the content server.
Doesn't it also get written when converting as well? Since the common remedy to for instance fix an out of date EPUB cover is to just do an EPUB->EPUB conversion...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Doesn't it also get written when converting as well? Since the common remedy to for instance fix an out of date EPUB cover is to just do an EPUB->EPUB conversion...
Yes, conversion sets metadata. I knew I was missing some.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
mocheesehead

Thanks for your quick response User!

I should have provided more information. Most of my files are mobi's converted to epubs or just straight epubs. I guess my question is what is the point of being able to edit metadata or covers if it won't save to a file? Shouldn't a warning pop up and say something like, "you are changing "cover". The epub (or mobi) format does not support editing of metadata".

Calibre is a nice piece of software, but if I cannot save metadata / cover edits, it's utility drops significantly.

Thanks again,
mocheesehead
Old 04-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
mocheesehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Yes, conversion sets metadata. I knew I was missing some.
So what your saying is if I edit everything (metadata / covers) in the mobi format, then covert to epub, the changes should stick!

That would be really cool!
Thanks,
mocheesehead
Old 04-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #7
user_none

Metadata editing can be a very intensive and slow process so calibre only saves the changes to the file when absolutely necessary. Most of the time that means when taking the file out of calibre.

EPUB supports changing the cover. However when you use the viewer it just opens the book within calibre. Since it's not leaving calibre the metadata in the file itself isn't updated.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocheesehead View Post
So what your saying is if I edit everything (metadata / covers) in the mobi format, then covert to epub, the changes should stick!
Yes, editing all of the metadata/covers in calibre prior to conversion will set everything in the ePub just fine.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #9
Janette55
Connoisseur
Janette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it is

Device: Sony 900
I have a question in this area.

I had downloaded books to Calibre, sent them to my reader. Realized that some didn't have covers and so picked some off the internet using the metadata and put new covers on them.

Now, I know that doing so on Calibre doesn't do anything on my reader.

I have downloaded some more books and am fixing the covers before I send them to my reader.

Is there a way I can fix the old covers (from the previous downloads) when I send over the new books? Can I just highlight them and send them again, or will that cause problems?

I guess what I am wondering is, if I send them again, will they "copy" themselves with the new covers?
I am thinking of when you make a change to a document you have saved in word it just overwrites the old one, so does this happen also?
Janette55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:06 PM   #10
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Provided you haven't changed the book metadata (like giving it a different title/author name) and you haven't adjusted your settings for the device (like setting a different file template path) it should just overwrite the copy on your device.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:27 PM   #11
Janette55
Connoisseur
Janette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it is

nope, haven't done any of that. Only thing I have done is continue to feed my addiction for books by downloading another hundred books, I am now up to 296 (133 for grandkids).

I have changed some of the tags, but that has been it. Sheesh, some of the books had over 10 tags. A bit much, in my opinion. Unless that fits what you are saying, as it is Greek to me.

Last edited by Janette55; 04-15-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:34 PM   #12
kiwidude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette55 View Post
nope, haven't done any of that. Only thing I have done is continue to feed my addiction for books by downloading another hundred books, I am now up to 296 (133 for grandkids).
Lucky them
Quote:
I have changed some of the tags, but that has been it. Sheesh, some of the books had over 10 tags. A bit much, in my opinion.
If you want more info on handling tags, there are loads of threads about it. Here is a fairly recently active one from today with some suggestions in it. I would suggest you post in that if you have further questions on that particular topic.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #13
Janette55
Connoisseur

Thanks,

I get a kick sometimes when I read some of the tags, and I go sheesh, whoever it was was really stretching for that one. Silly,really. Just keep it simple; science fiction, murder, romance, and such.

Thanks for the help.