Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-01-2011, 11:49 PM   #1
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Do you get tired of using the same ebook reader over and over?

Do you get tired of using the same ebook reader after reading many books on it, and secretly yearn to get a different reader, just so you have something different to play with?

At least, with a paper book, you get to hold a fresh book with a somewhat different form (different cover, thickness, font etc) in your hand after you are done with one.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:02 AM   #2
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
Do you get tired of using the same ebook reader after reading many books on it, and secretly yearn to get a different reader, just so you have something different to play with?

At least, with a paper book, you get to hold a fresh book with a somewhat different form (different cover, thickness, font etc) in your hand after you are done with one.
No, quite the opposite... I have yet to read a book on my Sony 650. I feel quite guilty having bought it and not used it.

I really love reading on my kindle, and I suppose I concentrate more on the content of the book I'm reading than on the reading device, and I haven't seen any books that I want, that's not available for the kindle.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 12:08 AM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
nope! every book I begin is a new adventure!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:26 AM   #4
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
No, not at all. In fact, I absolutely love reading on my K3. I love the the screen and am very happy to be able to read all my books on it.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:48 AM   #5
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Not yet. But then I alternate my Kindle reading with paper books. And I like to get art books and graphic novels, so plenty of visual/physical variety there.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 12:52 AM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I like toys.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:52 AM   #7
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
I used to get annoyed with my iRex Iliad because it used to take forever to boot up (no sleep mode). But with my Sony reader I couldn't be happier.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:35 AM   #8
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
After six months or so with my jetBook Lite I began to tire of the fact that every eBook had the same weight and feel. As a result, I joined the Doubleday Book Club and the Quality Paperback Book Club.

By alternating the JBL with hard cover and soft cover books, I again enjoy the variety.

But to answer your question, I have not been tempted to buy a second eBook reader.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:08 AM   #9
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
No, not really. I get bored of a lot of things, but not my ereader. I do want a new 650, but I'm not unhappy with my 505 in the least. (and I've had my 505 for over 2 years)
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:54 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
New toys are always fun, but these days I do pretty much all my reading on my Kindle. It's just so well thought-out in terms of ease of use. Things like annotations (which are vital to me for proof-reading books) really couldn't be easier.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:46 AM   #11
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I spent fifty years looking for books that opened left to right because I was tired of the normal right to left. And scrolls. I really want my John le Carre books to be on scrolls just so they'd be different. I consider cutting all the pages out of the book and scrolling them but I just read the book instead.

For me, the device is irrelevant. I want to read books. If I wanted to play with a new toy I'd be doing business with Apple, obviously.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #12
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
Not in the slightest bit.
To the contrary. I don't like changing them. It always takes some time to get used to the new h/w & s/w interface. It distracts a bit (if it is a good ebook reader such as Sony) or from quite a lot to next to unbearable (if the ebook reader sucks) from reading.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #13
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
No. The device is just a tool; I wouldn't get tired of my hammer, for instance. But I'll switch if my tool doesn't do as much as I need.

I settled for a Kindle because it was the best device for me at the time. I was really waiting for a tablet, but it wasn't clear then when a viable one would emerge. Then iPad came along and it's currently the best device for my needs. I'll switch when other devices emerge that can significantly better serve me. Otherwise, I'm happy to use my device till it croaks, which would save me money.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #14
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Not in the slightest bit.
To the contrary. I don't like changing them. It always takes some time to get used to the new h/w & s/w interface. It distracts a bit (if it is a good ebook reader such as Sony) or from quite a lot to next to unbearable (if the ebook reader sucks) from reading.
I only have that problem when I'm switching from my BBM to my Sony... (or rather, the other way around...) I always use the paging buttons on the Sony and not the sweep. But those two buttons are on the bottom left side. On my BBM, I generally use the two buttons on the bottom, but they are on the right side... I often see the menu if I read on my Mini
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:03 AM   #15
khintul
Enthusiast
khintul doesn't litterkhintul doesn't litter

Device: Kindle2, Kindle 3, PRS-300, PRS-350, PaperWhite 1, Kobo Aura HD
Not at all - the Kindle reading experience is so superior to other readers I've tried, I hate to read on something else.

I recently got a Sony 300, just because I wanted to try the library lending feature, and it was the least expensive way to do that. Now that I have it, I'm finding I really do not like the reading experience it provides. Perhaps other more expensive Sony models are better, but this one is just pretty bad. Only if I got a really, really intriguing book from the library do I want to read on it.

Otherwise, my Kindle is so much more pleasant to read with!
khintul is offline   Reply With Quote