Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #31
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
from FictionWise:
Along the Scenic Route - Harlan Elison
The Three labors of Bubba - Bud Webster

Cory Doctorow has a bunch for free download on his site: http://craphound.com/
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:09 PM   #32
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
My favorite short stories in the sci-fi vein are Ray Bradbury's. I also enjoy many of the stories in the Magazine of Science Fiction and Fantasy.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:20 AM   #33
Thjan
book addict
Thjan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS-650
I can't believe that no one here mentioned the works of Philip K. Dick

Blade Runner, Total Recall, Minority Report, A Scanner Darkly are all based on his novels or short stories. Gutenberg.org has some of his works available. Kindle Store seems to have pretty much everything, especially some Anthologies.
Thjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:24 AM   #34
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertold View Post
Arthur C. Clarke's complete short story collection is very
hard to beat. Some of the best SF short stories ever written.
I have the paperback version and its great ... would LOVE to have this as an epub! In the meantime, I've made do with The Sentinel and Tales From Planet Earth, two short story collections by Arthur C Clarke that ARE available in epub!

Last edited by frquixote; 10-22-2010 at 04:30 AM.
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:38 AM   #35
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thjan View Post
I can't believe that no one here mentioned the works of Philip K. Dick

Blade Runner, Total Recall, Minority Report, A Scanner Darkly are all based on his novels or short stories. Gutenberg.org has some of his works available. Kindle Store seems to have pretty much everything, especially some Anthologies.
I thought they had, but maybe a different thread. Personally I'm entirely unimpressed with P.K. Dick
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:37 AM   #36
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
The APEX Book of World SF
http://www.apexbookstore.com/product...ok-of-world-sf

These stories are unlike anything I've ever read before, from cultures all around the globe. The feel is closer to Haruki Murakami stories than classic science fiction.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:54 AM   #37
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I've always liked Issac Asimov's "I, Robot" collection of stories featuring Susan Calvin and the people of U.S. Robots. It's out in ebook format through Mobipocket.com, or at least it was when I purchased a copy. And Amazon has it as well. http://www.amazon.com/I-Robot-ebook/...7813205&sr=8-2
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:46 AM   #38
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Hi all,

I quite enjoyed Larry Niven's short stories, but one that really tickled my sense of humor is Damon Knight's We Only Wish To Serve.

Like others, I am fond of Clarke and Asimov, though I don't regard Asimov so highly.

Cheers,
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:02 PM   #39
SidneyW
Zealot
SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Gerard View Post
Hands down, the best sci-fi short stories I ever read. Ray Bradbury.
I love Bradbury too. The Illustrated Man is a great collection that includes a lot of SF from him.
SidneyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:18 AM   #40
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I had been planning on buying this but hadn't before now. Glad I waited, because the ebook is now on sale for $2.99 (regularly $4.99)

http://worldsf.wordpress.com/2010/10...r-wsb-readers/
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:29 AM   #41
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I just read "The Lake" - Ray Bradbury's first published story....creepy...

BTW, not sure if I said it above but his "Frost and Fire" has been my #1 SF short story forever...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #42
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I've been reading classic Sci-fi short stories this week.

Arena by Frederic Brown (there was a Star Trek episode based on this)
The Quest for Saint Aquin by Anthony Boucher
Surface Tension by James Blish (a different story about the first "space" flight.)
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:04 PM   #43
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
I had been planning on buying this but hadn't before now. Glad I waited, because the ebook is now on sale for $2.99 (regularly $4.99)

http://worldsf.wordpress.com/2010/10...r-wsb-readers/
Yeah. Sigh. I paid full price + shipping for the pbook a few months ago. It was good enough that I'm still glad I bought it, but seeing it at $2.99 stings.

Let us know what you think of it after you read it.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:29 PM   #44
SidneyW
Zealot
SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The Nine Billion Names of God by Arthur C. Clarke is an interesting one.
SidneyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #45
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
I recommend "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream" by Harlan Ellison and "Printcrime" by Cory Doctorow.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote