Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 10-25-2009, 06:05 AM   #1
rocklobster
rocklobster began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Convert size of pdf to sony prs-505 format

After two days of reaserch and trial and error I address myself to you:

I do not manage to convert the size of an exsiting *.pdf file to an appropriate size readable using my Sony PRS-505. The font of the pdf stays too small to read.

I tried:
- Acrobat 8 - changed of font size and layout (page setup in pdf printer) -no result font still too small -unreadable
- unsed pdflrf - no result - font still too small -unreadable
- used calibri - lrf file - text entirely gone pics displayed correctly
- converted the pages into jpegs using pdflrf - too big for reader
- tried various pdf-to-word converters - output either scrambled - text gone- import if rtf/or doc fails

pdf: generated by acrobat 4x from an *.indd document. pdf Size: 4,65 x 7,36 inches

does anybody has got another idea?
Any hint will be highly appreciated

TIA
rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
If you have the original .indd source, you're better off going back to InDesign and changing the layout of the source file and remake the PDF from that.

Other than that, I'd suggest sopdf -- but it's not a miracle worker. If your PDF uses too large a page size and too small a font size, it's going be difficult to make it work. (Still, at 4.65 inches wide, I don't see why the font should be that small... unless the original is just poorly made.)
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2009, 12:53 AM   #3
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
I've had great success using StarOffice 8.0 (the Sun version of OpenOffice.org) to create my ebooks. I take the source document, save it as an OpenDocument text file, format the OpenDocument file for the Sony Reader (I set the page size to 3.5" x 4.75" with 0.2" margins), and then export it as a PDF.

As long as StarOffice/OpenOffice.org (SO/OO.o) can open the original file, or you can convert the file into a format that SO/OO.o can read, you should have little trouble creating a PDF from the document. Unfortunately, I checked the list of formats that it can open, and .indd isn't listed. I'm not familiar with the extension, so I don't know if an .indd file can be converted into a format that is compatible with SO/OO.o.

I hope that helps.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:43 AM   #4
tanzifi
tanzifi began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Hi,

This was my old problem; but I handled it to my best, which COMPLETELY fits my Sony Reader PRS-600 by
1- Converting .pdf to .lrf using PDFREAD software,which you may find in this forum, by activating 'no edge enhance' and 'optimize PNGs', setting 'Cropping Percent' to zero, and using "prs505-p" profile
2-Converting .lrf to .pdf using CALIBRE software in this forum and setting margins to zero , and 'Chapter Mark' to 'None'

Do the above exactly and you'll find that the result is outstanding.

Regards,
tanzifi is offline   Reply With Quote