Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-14-2008, 07:06 AM   #1
harrynewman
harrynewman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Converting DRM'd ebooks to LRF

Hi there,

There is an ebook that I want to purchase. It is available in the sony connect store, but being in the UK I can't buy it (stupid, stupid sony).

It is available here: http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/eBook30686.htm?cache

It is available in Secure Mobipocket, Microsoft Reader, Adobe Reader 7; all of which are DRM'd.

Can I safely convert one of these formats into LRF, if so, which one would be the best to convert and what tools would I need to do it?

Please note that I will be buying the book - as far as I am concerned i'm entitled to make it work on my device if I have paid for it.
harrynewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:23 AM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
You can buy it from the Sony Store if you can persuade someone in the US to buy a gift certificate for you.
One forum member, Leaping Gnome, has done this for a number of us Britons.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2008, 08:37 AM   #3
Fitzwaryn
Connoisseur
Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Download it to your MSReader (be sure your MS Reader is activated).

Use ConvertLit to convert it to HTML then load it into Book Designer and convert to LRF and load it on your Reader.
Fitzwaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:05 AM   #4
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Or use ConvertLIT to just remove the protection, leaving it as .LIT and load that into libprs500 which does a great job of converting LITs to LRFs...
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:05 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you have an MS Reader format eBook without DRM, you can use lit2lrf to do a very simple conversion.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Bumping an old thread, I know. I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but want to review.

Specifically, a book from the Sony Connect store is $17.46. The "Kindle Edition" of the same book is available at Amazon for $7.99. I'd obviously prefer to purchase the cheaper version.

I understand that a "Kindle Edition" is a DRM'd Mobi book. I understand there is a mobiDeDRM tool, though finding it and using it is a personal decision etc. That will produce a non-DRM Mobi book. And there are tools, including libprs500, that will convert the mobi edition to LRF.

Is that essentially correct?

In other words I want to confirm that there is a conversion path from Kindle to LRF.

[EDIT]I'm assuming you can buy a Kindle Edition without having a Kindle. This looks like a bad assumption, though... I don't see a buy and download to your PC option on Amazon. You can only purchase via Whispernet.

I emailed Sony Support about the price disparity. I also pray for world peace.

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 03-29-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:59 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You cannot purchase Kindle eBooks without having a Kindle registered to your Amazon account. Also, not all the eBooks are .AZW eBooks. Some are what's called Topaz. So if you get a Topaz eBook, you cannot remove the DRM for sure.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:59 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You cannot purchase Kindle eBooks without having a Kindle registered to your Amazon account. Also, not all the eBooks are .AZW eBooks. Some are what's called Topaz. So if you get a Topaz eBook, you cannot remove the DRM for sure.
Yes, but I have a rule of thumb about the Kindle formats. If an ebook is available in Kindle as well as another format, then I bet the Kindle ebook will likely be AZW, not TPZ.

This is only a working theory. I don't have all that many Kindle ebooks, so it could be wrong.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote