Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
bucketree
bucketree began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless
New user suffering!

Hello everyone,

I've recently purchased a Kobo Wireless, and whilst I'm loving the device I've having a few teething problmes what I hope someone can help me with.

Firstly, I have purchased a book through ITunes which I cannot upload onto my Kobo. A friend of mine has informed me that you cannot swap books purchased through different internet stores with other devices, the reason I bought the Kobo was because I was told I wouldn't be tied to one place for purchasing books. Sorry if this makes me sound daft but I'm new to all this, I used to books that don't need charging and can be read anywhere. Can you remove the copy protection so this book can be read on my Kobo?

Second - I have purchased several books from the Kobo store, when I turn the page I get a line across the top of the page, this disappears when the text refreshes so it's not really a problem just an annoyance. This does not happen with the free books I've downloaded.

Many thanks for your help, I hope it doesn't sound like I'm complaining as I really do enjoy reading on the Kobo.

Best regards.

bucketree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
While you are not tied to one particular book store, not all book stores are compatible.

The real issue is that different vendors use different DRM (copy protection) schemes, and unfortunately, the scheme used by Apple is not at all compatible with Kobo, or any other, non Apple, reader.

There MIGHT be tools available to remove the DRM from Apple but I am not sure (and also, MobileRead does not permit a great deal of discussion on DRM removal).

The other caveat is that there are different formats of eBooks; the main formats are ePub and MOBI / KF8 / AZW; the latter set are used by Kindle's. Yes tools DO exist to convert between formats, but again, they all assume no DRM on the books.

All I can say for DRM removal from ePubs and Kindle formats is to Google for "Apprentice Alf".

Format conversion is best done via a tool called calibre (see the calibre forums here for more info).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
Welcome to the crazy world of ebooks! This is where books bought from iTunes will only work on Apple devices and books from Amazon only work on the Kindle. Image buying a Sony music cd and it would only work on a Sony device!

The epub format used by the Kobo reader has the most flexibility. There are several other ebookstores that support the format, the Sony eBook store included. Public libraries lend their books in this format. So you still made a good choice.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote