Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-19-2007, 12:48 AM   #1
Falstaff
Falstaff has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Falstaff has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Falstaff has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony eReader
The Complete Plays of William Shakespeare

I have just uploaded the plays of Shakespeare in .lrf format to http://www.falstaffshouse.com.
I originally wanted to create one big lrf file, but the formatting I used was too much for the reader to process along with 10,000+ pages of text, so I broke the plays into comedies, tragedies, and histories. These lrf files were created using the XML text cited on the web page and are freely distributable.

The lrf files have only been tested on the PRS-500. I should also mention that they were created with new software that I wrote, so please report any problems you encounter while reading them. I have been reading them with no problems, but I'm just a sample of one...

Last edited by Falstaff; 02-19-2007 at 12:56 AM.
Falstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:32 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Look Great!

These look wonderful - Thank you.

I do have one question: Is there a way you can add a Table of Contents for the title of each play within each of the 3 categories you have listed?

Thank you,
Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:36 AM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
They are clean and easy to read on the Sony Reader. Wonderful job!

However, without a Table of Contents it is a long slug. If I want to read "All's Well That Ends Well" there is no problem. "The Winter's Tale" takes a lot more work. For me it is not usable in this form.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:06 AM   #4
airlik
Connoisseur
airlik began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I tried various ways of reformatting "The Complete Works" from Gutenberg, but ran into that problem... having a SEARCH function would have sufficed, but lacking that I ended up just downloading the individual plays. I noticed that if I got the right version of each one, they didn't have that occasional 1/2 page blurb re-asserting the rights of the organisation that donated the text to Gutenberg... I found those rather disruptive to the flow and mood of the reading.
airlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:06 AM   #5
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I have downloaded all 3 of the files. All have a Table of Contents that make it easy to get to one play or another. Plus each play opens with a table of contents so you can go to any act in the play. Great Job Falstaff!
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:17 AM   #6
Falstaff
Falstaff has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Falstaff has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Falstaff has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

The main table of contents shows to a list of plays in the book. If you select a play from the list, you arrive at a table of contents for the play, which allows you to jump to any scene.

You have to go to the table of contents using the menu -- I took the pages out of the main page flow to help speed up page turns.

It was the lack of a nice table of contents in the other available versions that drove the creation of this edition.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:52 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's absolutely wonderful, Falstaff - thanks ever so much!

Any chance of doing the Sonnets and other poems the same way?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:19 AM   #8
Falstaff

It's possible, but I don't have an XML version of them. Now that you mention it, there probably is an XML version somewhere on the net...
Old 02-19-2007, 10:26 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That was in no way whatsoever intended as a criticism of what you've done - please don't take it as such. I'm a big fan of Shakespeare and having the plays in this format is an absolutely wonderful resource. Having the poems, to make a "Complete Works", would just be the "icing on the cake".

GREAT work!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:05 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Where did you find the Table of Contents? I can't seem to locate it!

(And they absolutely look stunning in my Reader.)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:35 AM   #11
Falstaff

I don't have my reader in front of me, so I don't remember the exact button pushes. But you have to go to the book's table of contents, which then has a
'Table of Contents' entry (along with 'about this book', 'copyright', and 'begin reading'), which lists all the plays. If you pick a play from list, you will go to a further table that lets you pick the Scene or Act you want.

All the books I have purchased from connect have been set up this way, so I followed the lead from Sony.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:25 PM   #12
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I take back the second part of my original post. I reloaded the Comedy file and somehow this time it did have entries under the "Table of Contents" tab.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:57 PM   #13
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Excellent work!

I did find a formatting issue though.

Table of Contents for Second part of Henry the Fourth the Epilogue line is cut in half.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:59 PM   #14
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib
Where did you find the Table of Contents? I can't seem to locate it!
On the ebook menu where it offers "Continue Reading" press 1, you will find "Table of Contents" is press 5.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:22 PM   #15
Falstaff

Thanks for catching the formatting error. I plan on making a new release fixing any errors that are found.

I also need to add a few more "short names" for characters (for example, I use "Richard" on his lines instead of "King Richard II") so any suggestions for those are welcome as well. I think I'll leave all those "Dromios of Whereever", though, since that play is confusing enough as it is.