Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-12-2009, 06:57 AM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Is the enclosed a pirate site? Delete as necessary.

I've come across a site called Scribd (sorry, delete if needed, but please answer query), and I'm unsure whether this is a public domain site, self publishing e site like Smashwords, or an in copyright file sharing site.

Please enlighten me.

I have downloaded Strunk's English usage book from here, but I assume that's PD.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:00 AM   #2
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
It's... well, kind of all of the above.

It's a legitimate site... it sells (I believe) and has much that is in the public domain and licensed, but people also frequently upload copyrighted material.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:18 AM   #3
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Yup. As Gideon said, it's sort of somewhere in the middle, though more towards the legitimate side. Think of it as YouTube for text. People are uploading anything and everything, and the site is trying to weed out the copyrighted stuff if they're informed of it.

Also, to further muddy things, they've recently signed some deals with publishers in an attempt to become even more legitimate. But remember that just because you found something there, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's in the public domain or that you can legitimately download it. Which means grab it while you can, cos it may not be there tomorrow.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I've come across a site called Scribd (sorry, delete if needed, but please answer query), and I'm unsure whether this is a public domain site, self publishing e site like Smashwords, or an in copyright file sharing site.

Please enlighten me.

I have downloaded Strunk's English usage book from here, but I assume that's PD.
You can find a much nicer copy of The Elements of Style in ePub format at Feedbooks (if that's what you were reffering to by Strunk's) http://www.feedbooks.com/search?query=strunk+and+white
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:52 AM   #5
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Yea I think Youtube of books is the right way to look at it, it started off as something for people to load docs up to an of course people loaded copyrighted material which was illegal but there is a lot of stuff on the site that is legal and good. A couple of the blogs I follow use it to post up docs related to articles like government or company filings because you can embed it in a site easily

I don't know how much luck a person would have just trying to search for copyrighted material on there anyway (most of the time people change the title so it can't be easily found by owners) but if you find a new book on there free something is probably fishy

They recently signed up with Simon and Shuster to provide their books on Scribd, I havent used it but here's their announcement http://www.scribd.com/doc/16342197/S...n-and-Schuster
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Personally, I don't like the user interface on Scribd -- nor on Smashwords. Simple is best!
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote