Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 06-11-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
touchbooks
touchbooks began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Can You Recommend a Good eBook Software?

Can someone recommend a legitimate safe (spyware/virus free) eBook software? I found one called ebookgold or something similar, but when I tried to download the demo my mcafee sent up warning flags. I'm just not so sure about it.

This is basically what I'm looking for

- user clicks order now button, is taken to paypal or similar site, purchases and then is delivered to an eBook login page
- unique email and password delivered to the user's email or onscreen
- ability to change the number of login's allowed (up to unlimited)
- only allow the eBook to be viewed on up to 2 computers (track ip address)
- convenient, easy to read format
- no save, no print

Is there anything out there like this? I don't want to use Adobe because I don't really trust their security features for an online download in this way.

Thanks
touchbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:59 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think what you want does not exist thankfully.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:50 PM   #3
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
"- only allow the eBook to be viewed on up to 2 computers (track ip address)"

So, reading is only allowed on two, internet connected computers. What if I want to read your ebook on a portable device without an internet connection? You mean I am forced to sit in front of a computer to read your ebook?

"- convenient, easy to read format"

Already, it doesn't sound very convenient to me. As for an easy to read format, that would be a reflowable format like epub. That format would also be more convenient for me, being based on open standards.

"- no save, no print"

Again, this doesn't sound convenient to me. Locking up content so that I can't use it as I need to (not as you think I should) is a bad idea and very unfriendly for the customer.

"I don't want to use Adobe because I don't really trust their security features for an online download in this way."

In other words, you don't think that Adobe's brand of DRM is draconian enough for your purposes. I don't have any idea what type of ebook you want to distribute (fiction, secrets of the universe, or what?), but you are taking the wrong view of things. Using DRM, restricting normal use of content and treating your customers like criminals is dinosaur-brained thinking.

Rather than blow in here and alienate everyone with your first posting, why don't you actually read some of the postings on the forums and get a feel for the needs and concerns of people like us, who actually read ebooks and could be potential customers. See how we feel about DRM, formats, ease of use, etc. and what our reasons are. If you do this, you will see that it is possible to publish ebooks without any of your original "requirements", not treat your valuable customers like thieves and still make money.

PS: I went to the trouble of writing a lengthy response because I am hoping it will do more good than simply telling you to "get a clue" and running you off.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:22 AM   #4
Fathermole
Connoisseur
Fathermole began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Oh no not again .
Fathermole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:54 PM   #5
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
I guess we ran him off after all. Oh well, I tried to enlighten
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote