Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
Marrko
Marrko began at the beginning.

Device: eSlick
Multitasking

I tried to understand what it can be a "multitasking" for e-reader.

It was mentioned somewhere here while comparing Boox M92 to PocketBook 912 (with that feature). One can find in User Manual of the PockeBook that multitasking means to be able to switch from one task to another through simple Task Manager.

Sounds great, but it seems to me that - at least in case of readning books - it does not produce anything new or better in terms of usability. This is because of two key reasons:

a) even without multitasking, any decent ereader will remember last viewed place in a book before closing it.

b) even with multitasking, you can not see two books at the same time on screen (as there's no windowing interface available).

On the other hand, implementing of a global copy & paste function could be something really productive while attemting to work with a couple of docs at the same time.

How do you think about that ?
Marrko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrko View Post
I tried to understand what it can be a "multitasking" for e-reader.

On the other hand, implementing of a global copy & paste function could be something really productive while attemting to work with a couple of docs at the same time.
Where to would you paste it?
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
Marrko

Example of copy & paste need

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
A case I was analysing is - by definition - working with a couple documents at the same time.

Example - I work with two notes: I read one note, and write second one as ad vocem to the first one. So I need to quote some text from the first note within the second one. Hence this copy (from the first note) & paste (to the second note) operation is a core activity which must be performed.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
Floghi
Floghi began at the beginning.

Device: M92 onyx boox
The multitasking is very interesting cause you dont have to load (wait time) books or webpage, when you swap to on of them
Floghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
Backi
Connoisseur
Backi has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: PB912 Matt White
Quote:
Sounds great, but it seems to me that - at least in case of readning books - it does not produce anything new or better in terms of usability. This is because of two key reasons:

a) even without multitasking, any decent ereader will remember last viewed place in a book before closing it.

b) even with multitasking, you can not see two books at the same time on screen (as there's no windowing interface available).
There is a better usability, because you can (within books) switch between books faster. You don't have to close one book, go to the menu/library, open another one, read something, close it, go to the menu/library, open the one before...

Have a look at the task switcher:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TaskSwitch.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	81551  
Backi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
kamizase
Connoisseur
kamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backi View Post
There is a better usability, because you can (within books) switch between books faster. You don't have to close one book, go to the menu/library, open another one, read something, close it, go to the menu/library, open the one before...
This.

Maybe not so usefull with literature, but when working with textbooks, scientific papers and/or having a webpage open, this feature is da bomb. Can't wait till Onyx implements it.

/thread
kamizase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
Marrko

In theory ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floghi View Post
The multitasking is very interesting cause you dont have to load (wait time) books or webpage, when you swap to on of them
In theory "you dont have to load (wait time)". But in practice it all depend on the true technical mechanism of "multitasking". It is not for granted that performance of it in such a special architecture like ereader with limited resources will be not poor.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:06 AM   #8
jian1
Banned
jian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toys

Device: Onyx Boox M92
With those petite memory M9x has, multitasking can be a pain in da arse.
jian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:35 AM   #9
kamizase
Connoisseur
kamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox 60
What "petite memory"?? It has 256MB, just like PB903 and multitasking works just fine there, as evidenced by jbaach's video.

If someone doesn't like it, one doesn't have to use it............. so what is the problem exactly?
kamizase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:57 AM   #10
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
A case I was analysing is - by definition - working with a couple documents at the same time.

Example - I work with two notes: I read one note, and write second one as ad vocem to the first one. So I need to quote some text from the first note within the second one. Hence this copy (from the first note) & paste (to the second note) operation is a core activity which must be performed.
I know what copy and paste is. I use it all the time on my tablet and on my PC.
I use text from a book, transfer it to a note, a database, a wordprocessor, email. This seem to be purpose of c/p.
What do you do with the notes?
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #11
Marrko

I got confused with your questions, Snyder. Look again at our conversation:

Me:

On the other hand, implementing of a global copy & paste function could be something really productive while attempting to work with a couple of docs at the same time.

Snyder:

Me:

Snyder:

What do you do with the notes?

Seems to me like your questions are a kind of weird ...
Old 01-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #12
jian1
Banned
jian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toys

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamizase View Post
What "petite memory"?? It has 256MB, just like PB903 and multitasking works just fine there, as evidenced by jbaach's video.

If someone doesn't like it, one doesn't have to use it............. so what is the problem exactly?
You've probably been overconfident in Onyx engineers' skills, as I've been aware, they can't even write a proper trimming algorithm and asked me for writing their codes (paid service ,sort of).

for them, multitasking on M9x means 1G ram with 2ghz CPU...

Last edited by jian1; 01-21-2012 at 04:04 PM.
jian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #13
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
Come on, even iRex devices had multitasking since 2008 or earlier. I am sure hardware supports it.
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #14
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
In theory "you dont have to load (wait time)". But in practice it all depend on the true technical mechanism of "multitasking". It is not for granted that performance of it in such a special architecture like ereader with limited resources will be not poor.
Oh, please. Today's ereaders have much faster CPUs and much more memory than engineering and scientific workstations from 20 years ago. Although those workstations were much slower than computers today, they did real multitasking just fine. The resources required for the mere task switching being discussed here are well within those provided by ereaders and the linux kernel. Even the 1984 macintosh with 128KB RAM (2000 times less) could task switch.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #15
Marrko

Tales about IT 20 years ago are a bit off topic, don't you think so?

Coming back to the present state of affairs, you need to realise that ereader hardware architecture is underpowered in many ways because of two requirements - a) battery must last weeks, not hours; b) thickness and weight of the system must be very small. Which in turns means that the heat emission from mainboard must be almost null. Hence computational power is limited.

Last but not least, core function of reading (reading app at the high level and driving e-ink screen on the low level) is computationally very much resource consuming. Keep in mind that this function must deliver reasonably short wait times while redrawing pages, even if processor is operating only at 800 Mhz max.

Last edited by Marrko; 01-22-2012 at 03:59 PM.