Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-19-2011, 04:00 AM   #61
GregoryP
Enthusiast
GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Google Nexus One
The apk is actually smaller in the latest version, 7MB instead of 7.3MB. Where did you see 14MB ???
GregoryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:16 AM   #62
gamermd
gamermd is on a distinguished road

Device: archos a70s
i went to settings>applications>manage applications
it says "mantano reader 13.86MB. (total: 13.86mb; application 13.86mb, data 47kb)"
it does mean it uses 13.86mb of my system app storage right?
gamermd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:35 AM   #63
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
I have a few questions about how Mantano handles/displays pdf files.

So far, in every other ereader that I have tried reading pdf files in, I've had to zoom in/increase the font to a comfortable size for reading. This then caused the need to scroll down the page to read it and sometimes scroll from side to side to read a whole line of text THEN you clicked to turn to the next page and had to do the same thing.

My ideal would be to have the font large enough on the screen for me to read comfortably and then to be able to just turn the page to get to the next screen-full of text.

I'm currently using Aldiko as my reader and convert any pdf files I have into epub to be read there. Unfortunately, this leaves in the header/footer/page numbering that the pdf version has embedded in in. I've learned to basically overlook that in the epub converted file but would dearly love to just not have to convert the pdf's.

I hope I explained myself clearly in this as I have been in a continual search to find an ebook reader that reads epub, pdf's, and even html files, has an adequate font size for reading without scrolling the page down or side to side before turning the page.

Is that how your program handles pdf files??
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #64
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shykat View Post
Is that how your program handles pdf files??
There is no need to ask. Install the free 7-day trial version and see for yourself.

I did, based on this thread. And I have now bought the full version.

And to try to answer your question:

It is possible to activate reflow on PDF:s. Then you can scale the font. This usually works fine on pure text PDF:s. But one problem is that the reflow still respects pagebrakes. This means that with a larger font a page may be rendered as one full page, followed by a partly empty page, This can also be considered as a good thing, since page headers always appear at the top, and page footers at the bottom, only not on every page if you scale up too much.

If you scale the font so a page is rendered as *almost* two full pages, you (almost) get what you desire.

Another way is to activate reflow and scale the font until the page almost fills the screen. The reflow maximises the use of the screen, so one full page may be rendered with a larger font and smaller margins around the text. Without reflow a lot of the screen may be poorly used.

I actually find the PDF reflow useful in Mantano, even if it is not as good as for epub, of course.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:17 AM   #65
GregoryP
Enthusiast
GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermd View Post
i went to settings>applications>manage applications
it says "mantano reader 13.86MB. (total: 13.86mb; application 13.86mb, data 47kb)"
it does mean it uses 13.86mb of my system app storage right?
I get that (and even a little more) when I install the app on the phone rather than on the SD card. Did you try moving the app to the SD card from the app manager settings ?
For the purpose of testing I tried the same thing with Aldiko and got the same result : the app is small when installed on the SD (doesn't take too much internal memory space), but if you move it completely on the phone it takes up the same 14MB.

@Shykat
We offer 3 different features that could be used in your case :
1. Reflow mode (like stated by Adoby)
2. Manual crop, or auto-crop : you can configure our reader to crop PDF margins, and this setting is kept for a given PDF. When the margins are cropped, there is no scrolling, they are just completely removed, so left/right swipes will bring you to the previous/next page
3. Horizontal/vertical fit : very useful in landscape mode on a phone, that's the mode I use to read PDF files : the pdf is zoomed to completely fit the screen (horizontally or vertically depending on the mode). In landscape and with horizontal fit, you can scroll vertically to read the whole page (at a decent size), and horizontal swipes will change the page. This setting is kept while reading, so you just read from top to bottom and change page.

I rarely use reflow as it really breaks the overall page layout, and as Adoby said, you have some undesired line breaks all over the place.

@Adoby
Thanks for the help, very clear and detailed explanation ^^
Old 06-20-2011, 07:11 AM   #66
gamermd
gamermd is on a distinguished road

Device: archos a70s
thanks for the reply Gregory.
with the 14mb displayed in the application manager, the program was "in the SD card" (had to put it in the quotation marks coz not everything is transferred, right?). i tried it the other way around and moved the app to the system storage. from 14 something mb, it ballooned to 20 something mb! so i guess it works this way when the app is "moved to the SD card": 7mb moved to the SD card, 14mb remains in the system storage - which is huge. The app is really great esp that i know development / improvement is on going and i'm not willing to give up just yet. i just hope it won't take up too much app storage.

btw, since you guys are working on the whole "select option" within the files, may i suggest that you look into moon reader's? among the readers i have tried their select text option has been the most convenient. thanks again!
gamermd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:58 PM   #67
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
My review, I've been using the eReader for about 3 days now. Here are my impressions so far.

Love the UI very easy to navigate. Possibly the best UI, simplicity without sacrificing features. Rendering is great both for PDF and ePUB. PDF render speeds are impressive. I have RepliGo and ezPDF, the rendering here is faster than both. Bookmark feature for PDF is excellent, I can't believe no PDF reader had implemented this feature. It's unclear if highlighting on PDF is an internal solution or if it uses the PDF annotation, the latter is the desired feature.

TTS is good, but it does not highlight text as it is read.

Here are the cons

In reflow mode, it's difficult to scroll for left handers. The gesture bar, for brightness adjustment, is to thick and makes page scrolling difficult for lefties. The result is that scrolling down to read the bottom of the page darkens page as well as scrolls down. A thinner gesture area or a placement option(right, left, top, bottom) would greatly help.

Difficult to highlight, makes highlighting guess work, would love to see the kindle method used, or even the gingerbread solution. Highlighting PDF is very sluggish which makes it even harder to highlight text.

Dictionary is very hard to use, would love colordict or similar option.

Margins are to thick, setting margins to zero does not seem to reduce the margins.

Last edited by =X=; 06-20-2011 at 05:12 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:40 AM   #68
savethebutterfly
Nameless Being

I too am annoyed by the necessity of being connected to the Internet while trying to read a book during the trial, it seems totally unnecessary, unless I am missing something. Our home network is wired and I only switch the wifi on for my Transformer tablet as I need it.

Last edited by savethebutterfly; 06-22-2011 at 04:47 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #69
GregoryP
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by savethebutterfly View Post
I too am annoyed by the necessity of being connected to the Internet while trying to read a book during the trial, it seems totally unnecessary, unless I am missing something. Our home network is wired and I only switch the wifi on for my Transformer tablet as I need it.
I double-checked our code for the trial activation and fixed the issue that caused the reader to ask the server for permission over and over again, sorry for that !
The fixed version will be released in a day or 2.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:52 AM   #70
savethebutterfly
Nameless Being

Thank you very much for the fast response!

Last night, I spent some time getting to know your reader and I have to say I am quite impressed. I am very new to Android and have been looking for an ebook reader for my tablet, so I have looked at quite a few. I am looking for one that can read .pdfs mainly, as I read epubs on my Sony Readers and will continue to do so, and RepliGo seemed to be the best I have tried so far. However, Mantano Reader is going to replace it, I think, because it is very customisable, much more than any other readers I have tried. I am looking for a reader which will display .pdfs, which will let me highlight the text and copy it to a text editor for later reference. I love the fact that I can just tap the bookmark sign and the page is bookmarked - so simple but so handy! For some reason, RepliGo does not have a bookmark feature and that loses it a lot of points.

I was also impressed how well magazines are displayed in your reader. The Sonys are really hopeless for this, the screen is just too small, but the 10" tablet is good enough for this.

I am going to do much more testing over the next few days but I am really glad I have found this tread because I think I have found the reader I have been looking for. The level of support so far is also excellent and the whole application looks very professional. I also downloaded the manual which is very well written and laid out.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:33 AM   #71
IngoBN
Enthusiast
IngoBN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IngoBN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IngoBN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IngoBN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IngoBN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IngoBN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IngoBN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IngoBN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IngoBN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IngoBN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IngoBN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7, Samsung Galaxy SII
Hi,
is the user interface multilanguage? Does it support german?
Thank You!
IngoBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:30 AM   #72
Karina
Enthusiast
Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Archos 101, Acer Iconia A500, HTC Incredible S...
Yes the user interface is multilingual but we did not include the german translation yet: we'll include it very shortly, it will be in a future release (maybe not the next one but it will come soon).
Cheers,
Karina
Karina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:40 PM   #73
loyukfai
Zealot
loyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura about

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by savethebutterfly View Post
...as I read epubs on my Sony Readers and will continue to do so, and RepliGo seemed to be the best I have tried so far. However, Mantano Reader is going to replace it...
I have a total of 3 PDF readers installed, ezPDF still is probably the better overall and most functional one, and I intend to continue to use it for reading non-book PDFs, but Mantano indeed shows its strength when your "read" a PDF.

Cheers.
loyukfai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #74
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
I just tried the trial version and so far like what I see. One problem is the size of the toolbar icons at the bottom. They are too darn small. I'm using a Galaxy Tab 10.1 and even on such a large screen, the toolbar needs to be larger. The text under the icons is particularly tiny. How about a setting to allow me to size the the icons and text?
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:24 PM   #75
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Are there any plans to add an image viewer to the reader, like the Kindle app has?

Right now it is near impossible to read tables and charts on a page.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote