Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-21-2006, 03:48 PM   #1
markiehill
Connoisseur
markiehill doesn't littermarkiehill doesn't litter

Tips for using your device...

Okay i know this is beta software and thats cool, however one question perplexes me, how does anybody manage to read a book on the device when you cannot store your last position for your next session.

In my HTML viewer it shows my whole document as page 1 , and i have to keep scrolling down the whole document every time i start my illiad.

So tips for us newbies from you three week old vets might save time in getting our heads around some of the oddities of this fantastic bit of kit.

Mark
markiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:58 PM   #2
dehein2
dehein2 began at the beginning.

i have a question too, is normal that loading pages takes so long - especially when scolling html?
dehein2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2006, 04:21 PM   #3
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dehein2
i have a question too, is normal that loading pages takes so long - especially when scolling html?
there seem to be 2 problems:
e-ink itself, the display is not made for fast updates. If i got it right, it can do a full refresh in 1 second and a fast refresh in 0.5 seconds. The second problem is, that as far as i understand it, every display page (=everything that has to appear on the display) has to be converted to a bitmap, and after that the display is updated with the generated bitmap. (the device is just 400 MHz, try loading a big picture (~500-600kb) on a 800 MHz PC and you will see, why it updates slow.)

Everyone knowing that better correct me if i got something wrong please.
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:21 PM   #4
vvoi666
Zealot
vvoi666 began at the beginning.

at this time html is not the best choice (the viewer does not support pages, yet). you may want to convert your files to pdf. there is a dedicated thread for this.
vvoi666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:29 PM   #5
deadite66
Groupie
deadite66 began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad, uk Kindle gen3
hopefully mobipocket will take the hint, it's pretty good with html and pdb's
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2006, 05:23 PM   #6
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Since i got my ilead last week i read every free minute ... i love it. But i never use the html reader, i don't think its usefull without "pageview".

I use the pdf viewer and i create a empty jpg file named "bookmark" in the same directory where my books are stored. After i finish reading i open bookmark.jpg note down my book and page number and i am done. Next time i have just to check bookmark1.jpg for the pagenumber.

Good enough for the moment ... *has to go back to reading* :-)
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:36 PM   #7
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
I do something slightly different.

When I get the html I add a table of contents to the beginning with hyperlinks to the start of each chapter. Then I just remember what chapter I was up to.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote