Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-29-2013, 06:50 AM   #61
ren41
Connoisseur
ren41 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Voyage, iPad2, iPhone 6S+, iPhone 8
Hi Harry

The earlier KF8 books I converted (to mobi) did come out left justified but those I downloaded over the last week or two are retaining their full justification after conversion.

I'd quite like to retain other 'advantages' of KF8.

I do miss the ability to set the justification on the fly, with the (hacked) KK.

ren
ren41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:51 AM   #62
ren41
Connoisseur

I should have asked, how do you think they might have changed it that makes it less responsive to formatting defaults set in Calibre?
Advert
Old 04-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ren41 View Post
Hi Harry

The earlier KF8 books I converted (to mobi) did come out left justified but those I downloaded over the last week or two are retaining their full justification after conversion.
As I said in my earlier post, it will depend entirely what method the book's creator has used to achieve full justification. If, for example, they've used something like:

<p align="justify">

on every paragraph, then you'd need to remove that (which could be done using Calibre's search and replace facility).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #64
ren41
Connoisseur

inline tags in every paragraph - what joy! Of course you're right. I have just found that if I convert from azw3 to mobi and then back again, it does left justify but would be good to avoid having to do that, especially as I'm not sure what else I might be losing in the process. Maybe converting to ePub & back would be better.

ren
Old 04-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #65
ren41
Connoisseur

I'll qualify that, it works with some books and not others. Removing p align tags has worked so far with another book, am about to try a few more.

thanks Harry

ren
Advert
Old 04-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #66
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
inline tags in every paragraph - what joy!
That's exactly what you'll find in any book which started life as Mobi, because inline tags are all that Mobi supports.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #67
ren41
Connoisseur

Ah, I thought Mobi supported style declarations as well; maybe that's just ePub.

ren
Old 04-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #68
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
inline tags in every paragraph - what joy! Of course you're right. I have just found that if I convert from azw3 to mobi and then back again, it does left justify but would be good to avoid having to do that, especially as I'm not sure what else I might be losing in the process. Maybe converting to ePub & back would be better.

ren
If you'd convert to epub, you can use Sigil to tamper with the layout. This gives you maximum control.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #69
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Ah, I thought Mobi supported style declarations as well; maybe that's just ePub.

ren
No. AZW3 supports CSS (as of course does ePub), but Mobi doesn't. The various Mobi creation tools will make an attempt to convert CSS into the appropriate inline tags, but the Mobi format itself doesn't support CSS in any way whatsoever.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #70
Donald
Donald began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Question

I have a different, but related question and so far this is the closest thread to it.

How do I get Calibre to send an AZW3 file to a Kindle Paperwhite? Even when I have a AZW3 file, it will convert, create, and send a mobi file, which seems to be a waste. It also does not list the AZW3 format in the send specific format choices.
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #71
Oletros
Connoisseur
Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by discopig View Post
I can vouch for azw3. Converting epub->azw3 on calibre has been amazing for me, no formatting issues like epub->mobi.
Does it syncs further page read through whispering?
Oletros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #72
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald View Post
I have a different, but related question and so far this is the closest thread to it.

How do I get Calibre to send an AZW3 file to a Kindle Paperwhite? Even when I have a AZW3 file, it will convert, create, and send a mobi file, which seems to be a waste. It also does not list the AZW3 format in the send specific format choices.
You should have posted in the Calibre forum (E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion) is probably the correct place.

As for your question, sounds like maybe you aren't running a very up-to-date version of Calibre (the current version is 0.9.29)? The option to send the AZW3 format does exist in Calibre. In fact it was set to the default format for sending to Kindles back in September 2012 (version 0.8.69) as that's when the Kindle Keyboard got the update to support the AZW3 format.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:03 AM   #73
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The lack of epub support borders on machiavellian.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #74
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
The lack of epub support borders on machiavellian.
No, it makes sound business sense. Amazon are in the business of selling content; they make little or no profit from the reading device. The last thing they want is to sell you a reader, essentially at cost price, only to have you buy books from elsewhere. They'd be fools to adopt ePub.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #75
Donald
Donald began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
You should have posted in the Calibre forum (E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion) is probably the correct place.

As for your question, sounds like maybe you aren't running a very up-to-date version of Calibre (the current version is 0.9.29)? The option to send the AZW3 format does exist in Calibre. In fact it was set to the default format for sending to Kindles back in September 2012 (version 0.8.69) as that's when the Kindle Keyboard got the update to support the AZW3 format.
Thank you for you reply, I thought I remembered seeing that, but I did not find such a setting. I am running "calibre version 0.9.30 [64bit] created by Kovid Goyal."
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, file formats, kindle paperwhite