Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Do you buy books based on worst-case scenarios?

My imagination made me a cheap kid to raise, but it has made adulthood more expensive. One of the few things that can overwhelm my cheapskate gene (thanks dad!) is my imagination. I've rescued the President (of course) with my knowledge of cryptographic history, defeated the yakuza with my knowledge of kung fu, economics and awareness of the law of inverse ninja power (the last was admittedly a freebie), solved crimes, saved damsels in distress and located the bomb just in time with my lie detection skills and met the girl of my dreams several times over with a grasp of various areas of trivia that I had on hand at just the right moment. And if I don't buy THAT book, I just know I'll live to regret it. The urge is probably strengthened by my love of games that build character skills through in-game books, but is strangely unaffected by a lack of affirming feedback over the years.

Common dysfunction?

Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
You know what you mean to say here, but I honestly don't get the point?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
Grigory
Grigory began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
You know what you mean to say here, but I honestly don't get the point?
Translation: I always imagine worst-case scenarios and buy books for just such situations. Am I the only one that does that?

David, I used to be like that too. Actually, I think people like us are the main reason all those "worst case survival guide" books are so popular. I quit hoarding them after my last move, though. I was moving to another town, and had to give away or sell ~95% of my books because it was either that or hiring a haul truck hahaha. Now I just google whatever I need to know, when I need it.
Grigory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:49 PM   #4
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Is that sort of like buying an ebook reader that can store 20 years worth of reading in main memory instead of a mere 5 years worth, because you never know when you might be away from your computer for 20 years (but still have access to recharging?)
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
OMG, you are all so talking about me.

(My night stand drawer is equipped to help me survive if my bedroom is sucked through a wormhole while I sleep. Maybe I just read too much SF adventure at bedtime.)
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #6
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I have the 'Zombie Survival Guide' and 'Be Ready When The Sh*t Goes Down' for good reads while camping on the throne. I have often contemplated picking up a few other more practical guides just in case.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:18 PM   #7
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
There are plenty of skill or specialized knowledge books out there that I have no real use for, but with a little help from my imagination, I convince myself they are vital to... something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigory View Post
Actually, I think people like us are the main reason all those "worst case survival guide" books are so popular.
Indeed. My buys aren't always quite that on the nose, but they're definitely targeting people like me. You should try the Best-Case Scenario Handbook. I bet you'd get a kick out of it.

Quote:
Now I just google whatever I need to know, when I need it.
I've started hoarding links to instructables and the like, but of course, you'll want offline copies just in case.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:22 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I don't know of any books based on the worst case scenario which would be all publishers going agency forever and Apple becoming the dominant force in the eBook market with no way to ever strip the DRM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #9
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I do this, but for paper books I want which are likely to become unavailable once the initial and sometimes only print run is sold out (reference/artbooks in specialized categories can have a surprisingly short shelf life, so I stock up if it's a subject area that interests me and the book looks good enough to keep upon flipthrough/Look Inside).

And I stock up on French translations of my favourite other-language sf/fantasy titles because those things tend to disappear fast, rarely to be seen, much less reprinted, again.

But not really for e-books, which are mainly fiction and usually available to me via other sources anyway (library, used). I do stock up on them during sales, when say Fictionwise has a deep-discount coupon and I can pick up the new backlist releases of $AUTHOR whom I like since the last time there was that good a promo coupon.

But's just discount splurging and I don't think I buy them for the sake of buying them "just in case".

Though it turns out I really ought to have done in the case of Mike Resnick's novels on Fictionwise (now nearly 40% more than the original MultiFormat FW pre-coupon price and DRM-ed from the new publisher), and the Subterranean Press stuff on Baen (withdrawn from catalogue a mere week before I was planning to splurge ).
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote