Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-20-2011, 08:12 PM   #406
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Lets try to remember this is a G rated forum. lol.
spoilsport!
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:45 AM   #407
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I've been reading some of the books I bought.

Bought in June: 16
Read out of these in June: 7 reading book no. 8 right now.

TBR of bought books since August 2010: 16
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:42 AM   #408
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
I've been reading some of the books I bought.

Bought in June: 16
Read out of these in June: 7 reading book no. 8 right now.

TBR of bought books since August 2010: 16
Well, that's not too bad. My figures for the same time periods are:

Bought in June: 2
Read out of these in June: 2
TBR of bought books since August 2010: about 100.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:43 AM   #409
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i keep borrowing ebooks instead of reading the ones i got. something must be wrong with me D;
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:48 AM   #410
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amward View Post
spoilsport!
Thanks, I do my best.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:50 AM   #411
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
i keep borrowing ebooks instead of reading the ones i got. something must be wrong with me D;
Borrowing from a library's fine. Free books are fine. It's buying ebooks when you already have plenty to read that's the problem. My TBR is currently over 400. And that's not counting the numerous freebies I have.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:14 AM   #412
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

so it turns out that the used book i wanted to buy is dyed red on the edges. someone told me that books with dyed edges don't really keep very well aesthetically, but i don't think the book would be reissued anytime soon ! and the condition is very good, according to the seller D;
Old 06-21-2011, 05:33 AM   #413
GailN
GailN began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Talking I'm edicted to ebooks too

Me too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysmiles View Post
Im an addict of both the books and the machines . Im adding to it almost everyday .
I dare not have a to buy list. My TBR list is huge lost count how many books are in it. I keep just a few on my Kindle otherwise I spent more time choosing that reading.

I have around 15,000 maybe more know periodically I check to see how many. They date back to the late 90's when I switched from paper to electronic.

As for gadgets pretty much had them all Illiad, Cool-er ereader, Sony Touch, I'll no doubt buy a Nook when I'm in the US again. Though I'm tempted very much by the new tablets.. I've read ebooks on Palms, smart phones and my 10 in laptop.. love that it goes everywhere with me...

I never leave home without my Kindle
GailN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:05 AM   #414
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
so it turns out that the used book i wanted to buy is dyed red on the edges. someone told me that books with dyed edges don't really keep very well aesthetically, but i don't think the book would be reissued anytime soon ! and the condition is very good, according to the seller D;
That someone told you BS. The edges were gilded to minimize demage done to books by dust. Bibles do almost always have gilt edges. Today most of the gilding is done with dye only but for expensive books it is still done with gold.

If you are interested in book binding I recommend J. Mark Bertrand's blog

http://www.bibledesignblog.com/

it is shock full of information about binding, paper qualities and type faces/ type setting. It also contains information about different leathers. Bibles are one of the last books today to be handbound and done with craftmanship, for example smythe-sewn. Only a hundred years ago this was different.

The HC sold today will have a shelf life of approximately 20 - 30 years due to inferior paper qualities. I have books from 1908 - 1958 that look brand new. The paper as white as it was back than. Have a look at the books on your shelf. I bet there are books you bought 10 years ago whose pages are already yellowing.

Quote:
GILDING is the most beautiful method of ornamenting the edges of books; it suits almost any colour and any binding, and may be carried out in a variety of ways so as to produce many beautiful effects. Gilding is not mere ornamentation; it is also the best preservative that can be applied to book edges. Dust cannot penetrate between the leaves of gilt edged books, decay is retarded if not altogether prevented, and the action of fire is resisted to a remarkable extent; it is for this last reason that the edges of ledgers are sometimes very thickly gilt. Among the many varieties of gilding may be mentioned gilt on colour, in which the edges are fanned out and colored, and then gilt. Red is the colour most generally preferred, hence the com*mon expression" gilt on red," or " red under gold" but other colors are used. Gilding is also done on marble; it is called marbling under gilt, and as may be imagined, when well done is very beautiful. Book edges are also gilt and tooled, tools of a fine pattern being chosen and used warm.

The tools used by the edge gilder for ordinary plain gilding are the gilding press, which has long screws, a steel scraper, a gold cushion, gold knife, tip, burnisher, and a flat brush. The materials required are gum, Armenian bole, diluted glaire, and gold leaf.

Last edited by Poppaea; 06-21-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:18 AM   #415
wyndslash
Wizard

@popp: thanks so much! I've made up my mind and will get the book after all this is great info as well
Old 06-21-2011, 07:47 AM   #416
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Not entirely true... depends on paper used, many hardbacks have acid-free paper and will last equally well and are rated as at least 100+years without any deterioration...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
The HC sold today will have a shelf life of approximately 20 - 30 years due to inferior paper qualities. I have books from 1908 - 1958 that look brand new. The paper as white as it was back than. Have a look at the books on your shelf. I bet there are books you bought 10 years ago whose pages are already yellowing.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:49 AM   #417
wyndslash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Not entirely true... depends on paper used, many hardbacks have acid-free paper and will last equally well and are rated as at least 100+years without any deterioration...
well, the seller stated that the book is in "very good" condition, and the seller has a very positive rep, so i trust them...hopefully xP
Old 06-22-2011, 09:04 AM   #418
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
I'm clean now have bought NO eBooks for at least 1 month,

My Dr has me signed up on a PROGRAM ... Buying only pBooks!

My Probation Officer has me visiting dialy,

Anymore eBooks and I go down for the Long Stretch!
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:27 AM   #419
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I actually dug into my TBR pile & found a book I bought months ago. It was quite good.... I wonder how many more I have that are buried deep in all the books I've purchased.

Got to admit I miss looking for more books to buy... I think this buying books is an addiction I'm not going to overcome... Got to stay away from the new & upcoming books notifications. I always leave with a book that is already out & snuck into the new & upcoming books....Honestly I haven't looked lately....
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #420
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

I bought two books yesterday. Read one of them at once and went back to one of my other purchases. But they don't count anyway as they are of the single-handed-reading variety and will be consummated rather fast

No help wanted