Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-09-2010, 05:51 AM   #1
mistermouse
mistermouse began at the beginning.

Device: none - YET
Which reader's best for me?

Looking around the forums, it seems as though the Sony 505, Onyx Boox/Bebook Neo, and the Hanlins/Bebook Mini/One seem to be the best regarded 5-6" e-readers. The Kindle's gotta go in there too.

I am particularly drawn to the soon-to-be Astak EZ Reader PLUS as it combines the shell of the one (6"!) with the zippy innards of the mini.

Can anyone (particularly with experience) recommend one of these over the others? Alternatively, if I've missed something elementary, point the way.

Big pro of the Kindle is access on the go. Does that outweigh inflexibility and mega keyboard?

Usage is e-books, I have some .lit/.epub, but will mainly be looking to buy new release. Feature wise, font flexibility and speed of page turn are important. Low/no glare screen is important. Besides that I simply don't know.

Do those with wifi find it's useful for purchasing and downloading books? Otherwise it seems an unnecessary feature for my needs?

Steer me!!

PS if anyone in Australia knows where in Sydney to look at models other than HN and Dymocks let me know!!
mistermouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:19 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The big downside of the Kindle if you live outside the USA is "geographical restriction" of books; you'll find that there are huge numbers of books that you can't buy. With a reader than supports the ePub format, you can buy books from any bookstore you wish.

My personal favourite is the BeBook Neo / Onyx Boox 60. I don't give a damn about the WiFi, but the Wacom touch screen works extremely well without impacting image quality, and feature-wise, it has everything I want.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2010, 05:15 AM   #3
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Organization of books on the reader is something you didn't mention. With the exception of Sony, none of the big players offer any sort of metadata or folder support to help you organize your books on the reader. They give us enough space to carry hundreds of books, but no way to organize all of them.

If you can wait a bit, the readers with SiPix screens look really promising. They were supposed to be out now, but the SiPix screen factory is evidently having some problems.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote