Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #16
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
And I think you're right. Sorry about that. I just did my best to notice the flash and I have to admit it's there. Not as noticeable as on some other current readers, according some video's I've seen online. I believe Sony uses a different technic witch gives is the least noticeable flash. Correct me if I'm wrong please.
The PRS-T2 has partial refresh and flashes only every 15 pages. That's a lot of pages and probably why it seems like it's not there! It also has a setting to refresh every page. The ghosting is hardly noticeable, and I like the partial refresh much better than I expected to.

The Nook Simple Touch by comparison flashes every 6 pages but also has minimal ghosting with the latest firmware update. It does not have an alternative setting to refresh every page.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #17
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
@Harry: I think you might be right about filtering the flash out... the more I use it the less I notice it. Its just that when I first bought it, a few pages in, I was ticked off enough to put it away and wonder why I bothered. I'll persist.
I was annoyed by the flash at first, but it soon became something that I don't really notice now.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #18
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I think I've learned to blink just as the screen refreshes. Either way, I found it excruciating at first, but had completely adapted before I finished ereading my first novel.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #19
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I've been out this morning and from observation so far: Kobo has the full screen black flash, like the PRS-650. The new T2 and Kindles only flash the text, rather than the entire screen, and this is much more tolerable. Given the circumstances, and the cost of purchasing another reader (and wanting a Paperwhite when/if they ever come officially to Australia) I'm going to persist with my 650, and my iPad. Will have to see what the new year brings. If I find I can't deal with the 650 after some time, I'll just use it for occasional library books (I currently have 3 on there which need reading in the next 10 days) and then see about the PW later.. and convert all my non DRM epubs to mobi.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I've been out this morning and from observation so far: Kobo has the full screen black flash, like the PRS-650. The new T2 and Kindles only flash the text, rather than the entire screen, and this is much more tolerable. Given the circumstances, and the cost of purchasing another reader (and wanting a Paperwhite when/if they ever come officially to Australia) I'm going to persist with my 650, and my iPad. Will have to see what the new year brings. If I find I can't deal with the 650 after some time, I'll just use it for occasional library books (I currently have 3 on there which need reading in the next 10 days) and then see about the PW later.. and convert all my non DRM epubs to mobi.
The T2 and Kindles do not flash just the text. What they do is not flash when changing some pages. They flash after so many pages has been changed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #21
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
The flash has never bothered me. It's certainly no worse of a disruption to reading than when you turn a page in a paper book.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:23 AM   #22
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I noticed the flash when I was new to e-readers, but I don't notice it anymore.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:26 AM   #23
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The T2 and Kindles do not flash just the text. What they do is not flash when changing some pages. They flash after so many pages has been changed.
My observation was of a text flash as opposed to the full page invert to white on black flash my PRS does. Theres a massive difference.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:33 AM   #24
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Did you do at least 6 Page turns? I believe they do a full screen refresh each 6 pages. KOBO also does this but perhaps that was turned off.
I could be wrong but I think maybe Kobo was the first reader to do this.

Last edited by Canuck_in_Japan; 12-02-2012 at 03:37 AM.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #25
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Did you do at least 6 Page turns? I believe they do a full screen refresh each 6 pages. KOBO also does this but perhaps that was turned off.
I could be wrong but I think maybe Kobo was the first reader to do this.
I'm sure none of the devices was set up to refresh any less often than every page. I just wanted to see how noticeable it was. I liked how the new Sony and Kindles do it. It may be a full page, but its not inverted to white on black and that is a VERY Good Thing.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #26
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I'm sure none of the devices was set up to refresh any less often than every page. I just wanted to see how noticeable it was. I liked how the new Sony and Kindles do it. It may be a full page, but its not inverted to white on black and that is a VERY Good Thing.
You really might want to go back and check again. From what you're describing the Kobo was set for a full refresh every page and the others were set for every 6. With the Kobo set for every 6 you get a small text flash every page, then a full black screen/white text flash every 6th and I'm pretty sure it's the same with all of them. The Kobo is adjustable from 1-6 pages for flash.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
My observation was of a text flash as opposed to the full page invert to white on black flash my PRS does. Theres a massive difference.
It's not a text flash. It's not a flash of any kind.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:45 AM   #28
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
I guess I'll just have to go play with some readers and see which seem best or better than what I have. If none seem any different, I'll stick with the PRS-650.

@Harry: I think you might be right about filtering the flash out... the more I use it the less I notice it. Its just that when I first bought it, a few pages in, I was ticked off enough to put it away and wonder why I bothered. I'll persist.
I think, if you were raised on e-readers, the annoyance of flipping physical pages over on a paper book would seem to be a major distraction. And yet, everyone in the past got over that without much trouble, and learned to use it to their advantage. We can adapt to just about anything if it's worth it, so why not give that talent a chance? We are amazingly versatile!

Edit: Whoops! Many have already said the same thing. I'll take that as a good sign.

Last edited by rkomar; 12-03-2012 at 12:48 AM.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:54 AM   #29
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
You really might want to go back and check again. From what you're describing the Kobo was set for a full refresh every page and the others were set for every 6. With the Kobo set for every 6 you get a small text flash every page, then a full black screen/white text flash every 6th and I'm pretty sure it's the same with all of them. The Kobo is adjustable from 1-6 pages for flash.
That's good news then. However, that said, as many have pointed out, the more you use it the less noticeable it is. So for now, I'll stick with the Sony and consider a Paperwhite in the new year.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:56 AM   #30
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's not a text flash. It's not a flash of any kind.
I'm awfully sick of being told what I do or don't see. I don't hallucinate.