Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
agarner
agarner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.agarner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.agarner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.agarner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nookcolor
Nook Color Upgrade

Is an upgrade for the Book Color coming out to let it play movies similar to the Nook Tablet?
agarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by agarner View Post
Is an upgrade for the Book Color coming out to let it play movies similar to the Nook Tablet?
It already plays movies just fine when using CyanogenMod 7.1 installed on an SD card, or overwritten on the original B&N system. That means that Nook Color is quite capable of playing video with it's hardware, but what would be B&N's incentive to send out a Nook Color upgrade to do that when they are selling a more expensive device to do it?
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Next month update 1.4 will be released, with this software update the NC will get most of the features of the Nook Tablet including Netflix and Hulu.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
agarner
agarner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.agarner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.agarner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.agarner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thank you geertm, I thought I heard something about that.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
As pointed out, the Nook Color already plays your own files and it will also be updated to stream Netflix and Hulu content.

One area where the Nook Color has been picky is what types of files it plays, often requiring people to re-work the video (if they can even be bothered). The Nook Tablet appears to have greatly expanded support for video formats, and it remains to be seen whether that support will extend to the 1.4 update for the Nook Color.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Next month update 1.4 will be released, with this software update the NC will get most of the features of the Nook Tablet including Netflix and Hulu.
That said, the NC won't play HD netflix unlike the nook tablet. You'll be limited to SD quality.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KTouch-PW-WIFI Galaxy Tablet 7 Plus 32gb Galaxy Player 5.0-4.2
Quote:
Does anyone know if this new firmware 1.4 upgrade will somehow lock the bootloader so we can no longer use our sd cards with Cm7/N2A?

Is there a way to Block the ota upgrade?

Thanks for any help.
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #8
oppy
Connoisseur
oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post
Does anyone know if this new firmware 1.4 upgrade will somehow lock the bootloader so we can no longer use our sd cards with Cm7/N2A?
Doubt it.

Quote:
Is there a way to Block the ota upgrade?
Pretty sure if you flash CWM to your eMMC automatic upgrade is disabled.
oppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:29 AM   #9
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I've got MIUI on my Nook Color...I don't plan on going back, this thing freaking rocks.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #10
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
I've got MIUI on my Nook Color...I don't plan on going back, this thing freaking rocks.
What rocks about MIUI? I was running CM7 for about 6 months and got tired of some of the quirks. So I am back to stock 1.3.

I guess I am looking for something that I don't have to spend a lot of time tweaking.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #11
oppy
Connoisseur
oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
I guess I am looking for something that I don't have to spend a lot of time tweaking.
If you don't want to tweak, you should probably just stick with stock. To me, the tweaking part is what makes installing an alternate ROM worthwhile. That and I just can't resist.
oppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #12
agarner

A few days ago I downloaded 1.4 on my wifes NC and it loaded fine but wouldn't load on my NC. Called Nook tech and they told me they have been having problems with the new loads and that it was causing problems on the NC that it did DL on. They said they are working on the problem and will be reissuing the fixed version. What a pain now I will have to go back to the original factory setting on my wifes NC losing everything I put on it when the new load is ready.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:46 AM   #13
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
That said, the NC won't play HD netflix unlike the nook tablet. You'll be limited to SD quality.
I've been curious about this one for a while now.

Technically speaking, no tablet on the market that I'm aware of is capable of playing true HD video because none of them have the resolution to play HD, well, 1080p resolution anyway; I guess I should've clarified. I've even seen 1080p listed in the B&N Nook Tablet ads but that's a blatant lie. True 1080p HD resolution is 1920x1080 if I'm not mistaken and the resolution of the device is only 600x1024. I forget what the resolution for 720p is but I'm pretty sure it's a little more than most tablets are capable of. Do the math. Regardless of whether the video plays or not, you're not seeing it in true HD.

It's kind of the reverse of all the Blu-ray players that go on and on about being able to "up-scale" older SD DVD's. It doesn't matter what you do to it, it's still an SD video source. Same here in reverse. It doesn't matter if you can get the HD video to down-scale and play or not, the hardware isn't physically capable of displaying true HD video because the resolution isn't good enough.

I'm sure I'm missing something here. Anyone know what it is?

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #14
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfollowell View Post
I'm sure I'm missing something here. Anyone know what it is?

- Byron
What you are missing is the fact that the Tablet can play all video upto 1080P means that you can watch almost all existing videos without converting.
The Nook Color only can play video with a resolution upto 854x480, which means that a lot of existing videos need to be converted before you can watch them.
With the Tablet you can just put your video on it, and if it is MP4 format you can probably play it. This is a big advantage compared with the Nook Color, and also the Kinde Fire (which according the information I found using Google also accepts only 854x480 video).
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #15
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
What you are missing is the fact that the Tablet can play all video upto 1080P means that you can watch almost all existing videos without converting.
The Nook Color only can play video with a resolution upto 854x480, which means that a lot of existing videos need to be converted before you can watch them.
With the Tablet you can just put your video on it, and if it is MP4 format you can probably play it. This is a big advantage compared with the Nook Color, and also the Kinde Fire (which according the information I found using Google also accepts only 854x480 video).
OK, so what they're saying is it can down-grade and "play" HD content, it just isn't actually "displayed" as HD, since the Nook Color, the Nook Tablet, the Kindle Fire, and no other tablet on the market actually has the resolution to display "true" HD.

They can display the video, it just isn't in HD.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote