Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 01:57 AM   #1
Saxguy
Connoisseur
Saxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toys

Device: K-3, Kindle Fire HDX 7" 2013
Access my library with Kindle wi-fi????

Is there any way to download my books of choice from my home PC (or a home server) to my kindle, wirelessly?
For example, if I was in bed and wanted to search my home library (Calibre), and pull down a book of choice, can I do it?

Thank you...
Saxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:19 AM   #2
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3 3G + WI-FI
Many on MR use www.dropbox.com to store there ebooks for retreveal.
BrowseTheStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 02:32 AM   #3
Saxguy
Connoisseur
Saxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowseTheStacks View Post
Many on MR use www.dropbox.com to store there ebooks for retreveal.
I’m a bit confused, how does this actually work with my kindle? Sorry, I’m not very computer savvy….
Old 09-28-2011, 02:56 AM   #4
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3 3G + WI-FI
You upload your ebooks to the site and then use the kindle's browser to download the book you want. Think of it as a online hard drive.
BrowseTheStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:07 AM   #5
Saxguy
Connoisseur

Thanks guys I will give it a go.
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 03:15 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The Calibre Content server can be used in conjunction with the Kindle browser to achieve this. However, although this works fine from a technical perspective, it does show up how 'clunky' the Kindle browser is when one has to use the Kindle keypad for navigation.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:34 AM   #7
Saxguy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
The Calibre Content server can be used in conjunction with the Kindle browser to achieve this. However, although this works fine from a technical perspective, it does show up how 'clunky' the Kindle browser is when one has to use the Kindle keypad for navigation.
Okay, I would like to give this a try.... I know its a big ask, but could you give me a heads up how I approach this? Or even point me towards a link . I am searching, but cant (yet) find anything dumbed down enough for me (a computer thickie)...

Thank you.

Last edited by Saxguy; 09-28-2011 at 03:36 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:10 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....reading-device
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #9
Saxguy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Thank you Kovid
Old 10-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #10
WendyR14
WendyR14 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle; ipad; netbook
When I wanted to do exactly this I used Calibre2opds. I keep my Calibre library in my Drop Box folder. I then use Calibre2opds to create a sort of web-based catalogue of it. I now can use my kindle iteself to browse the library, but author, genre, newly added titles and so on. I just worked (slowly - I'm no techie) through the instructions in the thread at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64095 You end up having to run this to create the webpages. So I do it after any significant additions to the library. I suppose that could be considered tedious but it seems OK to me.

And once the library was being stored in Dropbox anyway I've switched to using the portable version of calibre so my calibre settings are all the same whether I run it at home or at work.
WendyR14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:42 AM   #11
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyR14 View Post
When I wanted to do exactly this I used Calibre2opds. I keep my Calibre library in my Drop Box folder. I then use Calibre2opds to create a sort of web-based catalogue of it. I now can use my kindle iteself to browse the library, but author, genre, newly added titles and so on. I just worked (slowly - I'm no techie) through the instructions in the thread at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64095 You end up having to run this to create the webpages. So I do it after any significant additions to the library. I suppose that could be considered tedious but it seems OK to me.

And once the library was being stored in Dropbox anyway I've switched to using the portable version of calibre so my calibre settings are all the same whether I run it at home or at work.
There is detailed online documentation at the calibre2opds home site. This is a lot more detailed than the thread in this forum. Suggestions on improving the documentation are always welcome, especially if there are areas new users find are unclear or contain insufficient information.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote