Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-06-2011, 05:30 PM   #1
Smudge
Smudge began at the beginning.

Device: none
How do I get latest software updates?

I have had my Kindle since the end of December. I have version 3.0.2 on my Kindle. For some reason my wife, who also bought hers at the end of December, has 3.0.3 (it came with this version from Amazon). How are software updates delivered to the Kindle? I keep my wifi off unless I am downloading a book/newspaper. Will it automatically come to my device when I turn my wifi on (when the next version is available)? Thanks
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
I have had my Kindle since the end of December. I have version 3.0.2 on my Kindle. For some reason my wife, who also bought hers at the end of December, has 3.0.3 (it came with this version from Amazon).
3.0.2 never left Early Preview status and 3.0.3 is still in Early Preview status. Only when it goes into full release that Amazon push it out for automatic upgrade and the last one that went full release was 3.0.1 which turned out to have some major issues.

What version comes on your Kindle is just determined by when Amazon manufactured that Kindle. If your Kindle is "3.0.2 (553210206)" then it is not currently possible to upgrade to 3.0.3 and will require a new 3.0.3 update from Amazon or 3.0.4. Its a known issue.

Quote:
How are software updates delivered to the Kindle?
Via 3G, WiFi or manual loading by downloading from the Amazon Kindle Software Update page.

Quote:
I keep my wifi off unless I am downloading a book/newspaper. Will it automatically come to my device when I turn my wifi on (when the next version is available)? Thanks
I don't think it does do it immediately when you turn on wireless as the update process starts automatically and it involves a reasonably long wait during the update. My Kindle did the 3.0.1 update by itself sometime during the night as I normally leave wireless enabled.

I don't believe there are any major issues with the 3.0.3 firmware and there have been several important fixes from the 3.0.2 firmware so there shouldn't be any issues in doing a manual upgrade to 3.0.3. One warning is that it is currently impossible to downgrade a Kindle as the firmware updates are actually one way patches so there is no way of reverting them and there aren't any complete firmware packages available.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert