Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-10-2010, 09:55 AM   #1
steveinphilly
steveinphilly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (via Blackberry Torch)
Her: heavy Kindle user; Him: wants just 1 or 2 books on Kindle Blackberry app

Hi,

Please pardon me if this has been addressed before, but I spent some time searching but didn't find any suggestions.

My wife is a heavy Kindle user. I prefer hard-copy books. But I also like the idea of some of the subscriptions available on the Kindle for use on my Blackberry Torch's Kindle app, and maybe buying an occasional book. She used my Amazon account to register her Kindle a couple years ago, and now it looks to me like if I want to use the same account, I will also have her long, long list of books to scroll through to get to mine. From what I can tell, there are no folders available (there may be some workarounds, but I don't know that they can be accomplished with the original Kindle that she has). Perhaps some day I will get a Kindle, but I'm fine for now using my Blackberry, and I really don't want to have to scroll through her couple-hundred book library to find, say, my book on Mickey Mantle.

So here's my question. If my plan is to use my Blackberry and not her Kindle to maybe have a few periodical subscriptions and a few books, and I have little interest in reading any of her books, should I just set up a second Amazon account for my own reading? Then I wouldn't have her books on my list, but I also could access them by signing out as me and signing in as her, right? And in the odd event she wanted to read one of my books, she could re-register her Kindle as me, right? But other than that, our lists wouldn't cross, right?

As an aside, right now my Amazon account must make me look like a schizophrenic--a buyer of popular fiction and romance novels on the Kindle, plus a buyer of non-fiction history books and classic rock albums in hard copy.

Thanks for any advice!
steveinphilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Yes it sounds like it would work a whole lot better if you get a separate account to read on your Blackberry. I think you need to register your blackberry kindle app to your amazon account and if you wanted to use your wife's account, you would need to deregister from yours and register your blackberry to her account. All very easy to do
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
steveinphilly
steveinphilly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (via Blackberry Torch)
Thanks, TheKindleWorm. I will keep monitoring this thread, but I think I know what I have to do!

Cheers!
steveinphilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, steveinphilly.

Sounds like you figured it out...
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #5
Chris Crouch
Enthusiast
Chris Crouch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3 & iPad
I haven't used the Blackberry app, but if it's anything like the other apps then the books get broken down into two sections: Home and Archive.

Archive contains all of the books available on your account but not yet downloaded.

Home contains all of the items that you've either sent to this device or downloaded from the archives.

So all of your wife's books will show up only in the archive, and your stuff should all appear on the home screen. I think you'll be fine if you register it to your wife's account.
Chris Crouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert