Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-11-2008, 09:16 AM   #1
kielus
kielus began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Demo Unit

Hi Guys,

i asked a friend to buy for me a reader in usa... And she did, but bouhgt me a "demo unit"... I dont know how the guys in best buy didnt notice the red label in the back of the product. but now i am stuck with it. The reader works, but the setup options are not available i just get a "the seting not available in demo mode". and i dont know if something else works diferente since i have no comparation point.
Any sugestion how i can unlock the demo mode?

thanks!
kielus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:59 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've never seen a demo unit behave like that. I suggest you email Sony and ask them what they suggest you do.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:29 PM   #3
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Did you try using the reset button? There is also an option on the menu that returns you o the default settings.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:22 AM   #4
kielus

I sent a email at sony and they recomended the reset. All information lost but still in "demo" mode. They confesed to not have a clue of whats going on and chose the easy solution pack it and send it to USA to get fix / exchanged! Unfortunatly i am living in argentina and thats not a option. Can i re write firmware somehow?
Old 06-12-2008, 07:42 AM   #5
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Hmm - you could try the reflash procedure here, I suppose...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:42 AM   #6
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You may want to let the batteries drain completely, and then charge it up via PSP charger. I read somewhere that this helped someone else in the past.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:05 AM   #7
kielus

i will try it and let u know the results.. thanks guys!
Old 06-12-2008, 11:13 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kielus View Post
I sent a email at sony and they recomended the reset. All information lost but still in "demo" mode. They confesed to not have a clue of whats going on and chose the easy solution pack it and send it to USA to get fix / exchanged! Unfortunatly i am living in argentina and thats not a option. Can i re write firmware somehow?
Hi:

You mean you did do the reset, or that Sony told you that? -- What Sony said is correct. If you have yet to do it, that may fix your problem.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:51 PM   #9
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Reset and recharging information:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21337
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:01 PM   #10
kielus

it did not work

Hi all,

I tried the draining battery, no use. I tried loading a new image using the instructions in the forum, but the screen to reload the firmware does not came up. When i check the firmware version of the reader is "D.E.M.O. 10000"
So i guess it is screw up, the demo version of the fimrware does not run the scripts..
I ll have to wait to go to the states and ask sony to fix it.
damm

Any idea?

thanks!
ezekiel
Old 07-05-2008, 04:23 PM   #11
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Or phone/email Best Buy and see whether they will handle replacing it for you.
(Tell them that an audience from all over the world, including Cardiff, is waiting on their reply...)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:46 PM   #12
astrodad
Guru

Why not send it back to your friend and see if she can deal with the Best Buy people?
Old 07-11-2008, 12:20 PM   #13
kielus

Well, nor sony not best buy will offer a "remote" solution. The only option will be head back to the states. Unfortunatly my friends lives here, so is not just send it to the stated. Next time someone from my family travel to usa, i ll give it a shot
Shall i try to modify the script to flash the fimware?
thanks for you support!
Old 02-19-2009, 10:01 PM   #14
minhthn
minhthn began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
I also have a demo prs 505 I just bought from craigslist used. Din't know it was a demo at first when I bought it. but after I did the flash back thing. Demo went away and I'm able to update to newest version. just follow the instruction. Remember, after you unzip the files. Don't drag the folder to the sd. Drag the contents and folders in the first folder to the sd. If you need any help let me know. Now I do have a problem with the sony reader. There is a dead line in the middle of the screen. Any ideas?
minhthn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:45 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by minhthn View Post
I also have a demo prs 505 I just bought from craigslist used. Din't know it was a demo at first when I bought it. but after I did the flash back thing. Demo went away and I'm able to update to newest version. just follow the instruction. Remember, after you unzip the files. Don't drag the folder to the sd. Drag the contents and folders in the first folder to the sd. If you need any help let me know. Now I do have a problem with the sony reader. There is a dead line in the middle of the screen. Any ideas?
If it is under warranty, contact Sony and they should fix it. Unless of course, it's a broken screen in which case, contact the seller and send it back as well as get your money back.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote