Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 08-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
Paralel
Paralel began at the beginning.

Device: ALP
Which Is The Better Firmware For the ALP, Official ALP or JB?

Can anyone provide the pros/cons of the latest official ALP firmware vs. the latest JB firmware on the ALP?

I have an ALP and am wondering if it would be worthwhile to flash it to the official JB firmware to gain additional functions or not.
Paralel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Does this mean that you got your ALP flashed to the current ALP firmware successfully?
The suspense from your previous thread is killing me.

If you are still having problems flashing to the official firmware released for your device,
you might want to resolve those issues before trying to crossflash your ereader.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
Paralel

Yep, flashed to official ALP firmware .20i no problem.

Is there anything the JB firmware does better than the official ALP firmware?

Last edited by Paralel; 08-05-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
There are a few threads on here about flashing the JB FW on the ALP but I believe you don't really end up without issues.

The ALP's last few firmwares have been mostly about expanding Language support. The big improvement was FW 20g which brought the ALP almost at the same level as the regular JB. So if you have FW 20g installed you are at the same level of fuctionality as the JB minus the dictionary and the language translation dictionary.

A note about the JB dictionary. Although it sounds great it is really missing a lot of words. It appears that they sacrificed content to allow for multi language support.
It doesn't work with all the ebook formats as well. I would have preferred having the option of downloading a fW version that supports my language of choice with a more complete dictionary.
\
John
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:37 AM   #5
Paralel

Sounds good. I'll just stick to the official ALP firmware then. Thanks for the insight.