Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-15-2015, 09:12 PM   #76
dusktrader
dusktrader began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello, thank you for pre-compiling Sigil for linux, it helps me a lot! I'm running Lubuntu 14.04

I had no trouble with v0.8.5 but when I try to install v0.8.6 I am getting this output on the commandline:
Code:
/usr/local/share/sigil/sigil-real: error while loading shared libraries: libgstreamer-0.10.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I did first remove v0.8.5 before attempting the new install.

EDIT: wait a minute, I'm a dork... I use so many computers throughout the day. This is a 64-bit machine and I am trying to install the 32-bit version. Let me try the 64-bit installer and I'll report back...

EDIT2: yep, that was it -- I'm all good now -- Thanks!

Last edited by dusktrader; 06-15-2015 at 09:16 PM.
dusktrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:25 AM   #77
holocen
holocen began at the beginning.

Device: PaperWhite 1
32-bit edition work smoothly on Debian 8.1 Gnome unstable, thanks!
holocen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:57 PM   #78
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
64 bit edition of 0.8.6 working fine on Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca x64 Cinnamon here.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:31 AM   #79
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Now that 0.9.0 has been released, will there be an unofficial ubuntu package once the dust has settled? I see from the thread on the new release that there are a few bugs being patched, so I imagine that it would not be made available at least until all of these are fixed.

Dave
Old 11-13-2015, 02:49 PM   #80
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Now that 0.9.0 has been released, will there be an unofficial ubuntu package once the dust has settled? I see from the thread on the new release that there are a few bugs being patched, so I imagine that it would not be made available at least until all of these are fixed.

Dave
There will be something for Linux eventually. Whether it's a self-extracting installer or a .deb package is yet to be decided.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:54 AM   #81
norbusan
Zealot
norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, Kobo GloHD
Debian/unstable already has sigil 0.9, so if the Ubuntu people are lazy in copying, that is their fault! See https://packages.qa.debian.org/s/sigil.html

And soon 0.9 will be also in testing. So it is all up to Ubuntu, the baby child of Debian.
norbusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 04:56 PM   #82
philja
Zealot
philja began at the beginning.

Disappointing results with building on linux from source

I tried for a couple of hours to install sigil 0.9.0 on a laptop with Debian jessie 8.2 following the instructions in BuildingOnLinux.md. Installing Qt5.5.0 in /opt/ didn't present any problems and all the other listed dependencies downloaded and seemed to install ok.

The first failure was on the "sudo pip3 install lxml" where the pip.log states :
"/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lz
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
error: command 'i586-linux-gnu-gcc' failed with exit status 1"

As I didn't really understand that error message nor what I could do to fix it, I suppose the rest, albeit apparently well detailed, was bound to fail - which it did.

So, I was pleased to find this thread and in about ten minutes I had the 0.8.6 .deb package downloaded and installed. Sigil seems to run correctly and testing and familiarization will follow.

Thanks for a ready made deb package. Saves a lot of time.
philja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:25 PM   #83
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philja View Post
I tried for a couple of hours to install sigil 0.9.0 on a laptop with Debian jessie 8.2 following the instructions in BuildingOnLinux.md. Installing Qt5.5.0 in /opt/ didn't present any problems and all the other listed dependencies downloaded and seemed to install ok.

The first failure was on the "sudo pip3 install lxml" where the pip.log states :
"/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lz
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
error: command 'i586-linux-gnu-gcc' failed with exit status 1"

As I didn't really understand that error message nor what I could do to fix it, I suppose the rest, albeit apparently well detailed, was bound to fail - which it did.

So, I was pleased to find this thread and in about ten minutes I had the 0.8.6 .deb package downloaded and installed. Sigil seems to run correctly and testing and familiarization will follow.

Thanks for a ready made deb package. Saves a lot of time.
Sorry you had such bad luck building from source. Especially since I wrote the BuildingOnLinux.md instructions.

Your error message looks like a missing zlib dev dependency, btw. "sudo apt-get install zlib1g-dev" might have gotten you over that hurdle (and on to the next).

If you ever want to try building the latest from scratch again, I'd suggest installing the repo version of lxml instead of using pip: sudo apt-get install python3-lxml. I'll update the BuildingOnLinux document to reflect that "apt-get install python3-lxml" is probably the way to go if your Python3.4 was installed from repos. Feel free to bring questions about building Sigil on Linux to the main Sigil forum, as well.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-21-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:36 PM   #84
signum
Zealot
signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbusan View Post
Debian/unstable already has sigil 0.9, so if the Ubuntu people are lazy in copying, that is their fault! See https://packages.qa.debian.org/s/sigil.html

And soon 0.9 will be also in testing. So it is all up to Ubuntu, the baby child of Debian.
sigil 0.9.2+dfsg+dfsg-2 has now been migrated to "testing" at Debian. A .deb is available there, but it might not have KDE tweaks associated with it. How does one search for progress at (K)Ubuntu? I'm looking to target 64-bit Kubuntu Wily (15.10).
signum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:01 AM   #85
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by signum View Post
sigil 0.9.2+dfsg+dfsg-2 has now been migrated to "testing" at Debian. A .deb is available there, but it might not have KDE tweaks associated with it. How does one search for progress at (K)Ubuntu? I'm looking to target 64-bit Kubuntu Wily (15.10).
Why are KDE tweaks required??? (Since when does any program, except the ones written for and distributed BY KDE, need "KDE tweaks"? Eurghh!!!)

Just use the standard installation instructions. Sigil doesn't care whether your DE/WM is Gnome, KDE, xfce, lxde, Cinnamon, i3, dwm, or twm.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 02:35 PM   #86
dhdurgee
Guru

Has the 0.9.x release reached the point where it would make sense to update the links in the first post in this thread to offer them as the "current release" yet? I am still using the 0.8.6 release on my Linux Mint x64 system and installed from those links, thus the question.

Dave
Old 01-27-2016, 03:36 PM   #87
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Has the 0.9.x release reached the point where it would make sense to update the links in the first post in this thread to offer them as the "current release" yet? I am still using the 0.8.6 release on my Linux Mint x64 system and installed from those links, thus the question.

Dave
There are no "current release" packages to be updated to right now, unfortunately. Things have changed considerably from the 0.8.x series, and no binary packages for installation exist. I hope to make something available at some point, but until then, Linux users need to either look to their repos for Sigil, or compile Sigil themselves from source. Apologies.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:26 PM   #88
polaris7
polaris7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hello DiapDealer:
I have to say THANK YOU for sharing this Sigil package, I installed it more than a year ago in Ubuntu, but a few months ago I moved to Debian Jessie, Sigil is only available in the unstable Debian repositories and is a headache to install qt5, i gave up and installed your package again and seems that works properly. Is there a way to update to the last version?
polaris7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:50 PM   #89
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris7 View Post
Is there a way to update to the last version?
Not currently, no. It's something I keep working on, but Sigil has changed drastically (internally) from the 0.8.x series. Building from source is still your best bet to get the latest version up and running in the meantime.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:17 PM   #90
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
For some reason I couldn't get the newer or older versions to install on Debian 8 KDE. I tried using both gdebi-kde and apper, and even though it said dependencies were met it crashed the installer. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote