Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #16366
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Orson Scott Card is one of those 'love his work, hate the author' type of relationships. I've enjoyed most of what he's put out and the Formic War series he co-authors with Aaron Johnston is also very good; at least the first one was.
That was generally my position, but I've finally reached the point where I simply will not ever read anything by Card. There are plenty of other authors I'd like to read in my TBR. I'll pass on any more from OSC.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #16367
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I finished Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card last night. I was a little bit worried about it, given how my opinion of the author has plummeted in the 20 years since I read Ender's Game but I ended up liking it quite a bit. It's really just the story of a family with problems. The big reveal about the aliens was obvious to me from the start, and Ender's genius often seems to revolve around pointing out things that other people really should have noticed ages ago, but for all that it is a decent story and the characters feel real.

I have no intention of reading the third book, or any of the many follow-ups and spin-offs.[...]
I think that's best. I really liked Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead (each so very different) but what I read of the books that follow - while each have their moments of brilliance - I tended to find them disappointing by the end.

I would also add that sometimes things can be obvious to a reader that need not be obvious to the characters. When reading science-fiction we have certain expectations, we're on the lookout. The characters in the story had been studying the piggies for years, it changes their perspective. It is not uncommon for an outsider to come in and see things that are in retrospect obvious, but are effectively invisible to those that were so deeply involved from the start.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:45 AM   #16368
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Just started Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:04 AM   #16369
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Orson Scott Card is one of those 'love his work, hate the author' type of relationships. I've enjoyed most of what he's put out and the Formic War series he co-authors with Aaron Johnston is also very good; at least the first one was.
What's he done that's so terrible, if I may ask? I certainly don't agree with his religious views, but the man's entitled to his own opinions.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:10 AM   #16370
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What's he done that's so terrible, if I may ask? I certainly don't agree with his religious views, but the man's entitled to his own opinions.
It's basically just his homophobic views that's got everyone up in arms. I definitely don't agree with them, but I'm not going to boycott his work because of it.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #16371
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Card has a right to his views, sure, but people have just as much right to boycott him.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #16372
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Reading Portal, by Eric Flint and Ryk E. Spoor. The third in the Boundary series. As others have noted, it's a bit weaker than the earlier ones, but still good enough that I'll finish it.

Next up is Detective Inspector Huss by Helene Tursten. I've heard good things about this series, so looking forward to it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #16373
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I'm reading Beat to Quarters (published in Britain as The Happy Return, I think that was a better title), the first book published of the Hornblower series. I read the first two of the Honorverse books by David Weber, I've heard them described as Horatio Hornblower in space, so I wanted to see for myself how they compared.

I'm also reading The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett. It was the first Discworld book I read, and now I'm reading it to my 6-year old daughter. She gives it high praise, she keeps asking for more when I'm done reading for the night.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #16374
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I'm currently reading "Flowers for Algernon" but it would be over this weekend. It's a sad story, but I like it so far.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #16375
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
I'm currently reading "Flowers for Algernon" but it would be over this weekend. It's a sad story, but I like it so far.
I loved that story, even though it was so sad. I'm glad the author didn't give in and change the ending.

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck is another that has remained in my thoughts over the years. It was many years before I found out about the background of Lennie.

Spoiler:
I was a bindlestiff myself for quite a spell. I worked in the same country that the story is laid in. The characters are composites to a certain extent. Lennie was a real person. He's in an insane asylum in California right now. I worked alongside him for many weeks. He didn't kill a girl. He killed a ranch foreman. Got sore because the boss had fired his pal and stuck a pitchfork right through his stomach. I hate to tell you how many times I saw him do it. We couldn't stop him until it was too late.
John Steinbeck, interview by The New York Times, 1937
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:06 AM   #16376
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Finished the fantasy novel Glory Road by Robert Heinlein from 1963. Not my kind of book. The characters and the story didn't really catch my interest.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #16377
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
After reading Ubik by Philip K. Dick which completely blew me away since I never read SF, and while I collect great recommendations by other members on similar writers in another thread, I am now reading PKD's
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. So far it seems I am in for another unforgettable read and I keep wondering how on earth did I miss reading PKD for all these years...
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #16378
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Norman Prentiss - "Invisible Fences"

This is what I just now finished this morning.

I want to highly recommend a novella by Norman Prentiss. The name is "Invisible Fences."

This is a such fine book.

It is a beautifully, carefully written story. And it is a story that is full of wisdom.

It's a horror story...and yet it transcends this classification to become a truly fine piece of fiction, one that examines the nature of love, friendship, and fears; it's about the things we remember and the things we forget. It is about ourselves.

Prentiss reminds me a bit of Ray Bradbury - not his style - but his concerns about the nature of remembrance and how we strive to understand the wonder that surrounds us. This is the material that Prentiss is working on.

The book is $2.99 from Amazon. Here's the link, so you can examine some of the reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Fenc...orman+prentiss

Prentiss is a member/author here at MobileRead. If you have the time, you may wish to visit his threads.

ADDED: "Invisible Fences" won a 2010 Bram Stoker Award in the category of Long Fiction.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-27-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #16379
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

Next is a change-up. Bloodchild and Other Stories by Octavia E. Butler.
This consisted of 7 stories and 2 essays with afterwords written by Butler. I really enjoyed the story entitled "Speech Sounds" but the others were only so-so. Butler sounds like a very humble, unassuming down-to-earth woman. A couple of her afterwords were quite interesting. Don't think I'll give this a rating. How does one grade a collection?

Next is a risky proposition. Three A.M. by Steven John. Goodreads' reviewers panned this while those on Amazon are more favorable. Harriet Klausner only gave four stars. Published by Tor last year and already hit the bargain bin. The story's description sounds intriguing enough to give it a try.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #16380
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
This is what I just now finished this morning.

I want to highly recommend a novella by Norman Prentiss. The name is "Invisible Fences."

This is a such fine book.

It is a beautifully, carefully written story. And it is a story that is full of wisdom.

It's a horror story...and yet it transcends this classification to become a truly fine piece of fiction, one that examines the nature of love, friendship, and fears; it's about the things we remember and the things we forget. It is about ourselves.

Prentiss reminds me a bit of Ray Bradbury - not his style - but his concerns about the nature of remembrance and how we strive to understand the wonder that surrounds us. This is the material that Prentiss is working on.

The book is $2.99 from Amazon. Here's the link, so you can examine some of the reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Fenc...orman+prentiss

Prentiss is a member/author here at MobileRead. If you have the time, you may wish to visit his threads.

ADDED: "Invisible Fences" won a 2010 Bram Stoker Award in the category of Long Fiction.

Don
Thanks for that. I bought the book last year but never got around to reading it. Will have to try and slot it in somewhere.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote