Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #106
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
My first impression is that the Mini is too wide to fit in most sports coat inner pockets.

Isn't that one of the goals of the 5" screen?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:18 AM   #107
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Nate-the-great's Digital reader site has a link to some pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ssross99/

Hint: There is a very good reason it's called the Jetbook *mini*.
Now *that* is how you design a reader.
Ugly. Very ugly. I prefer a slightly longer longer device instead of a wider device. I agree with GA Russell, it'll be too wide for a pocket. While if it were a bit longer and smaller, it would probably fit, though it might stick out a bit.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 02:49 AM   #108
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
It looks awesome!

It's meant to be held and used one-handed -- and I use a bag, anyway, so if it is a little wide for a pocket, no loss to me. I like my Libre very much, but you cannot hold it with one hand in portrait for very long without getting a cramp trying to use it. It's too thin to use the drag-bar properly, and the button is in the wrong place. It's also not reversible when your hand gets tired, or you shift position. It's meant to be used two-handed, which is dumb.

I will definitely get one of these. And if it comes in day-glo colors, the more the better! Well-designed, functional and happy!

If they were touch-screen and had word-level bookmarking, they'd be perfect.
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:07 AM   #109
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capidamonte View Post
It looks awesome!

It's meant to be held and used one-handed -- and I use a bag, anyway, so if it is a little wide for a pocket, no loss to me. I like my Libre very much, but you cannot hold it with one hand in portrait for very long without getting a cramp trying to use it. It's too thin to use the drag-bar properly, and the button is in the wrong place. It's also not reversible when your hand gets tired, or you shift position. It's meant to be used two-handed, which is dumb.

I will definitely get one of these. And if it comes in day-glo colors, the more the better! Well-designed, functional and happy!

If they were touch-screen and had word-level bookmarking, they'd be perfect.
I simply adore the 3 ways of navigating on my BBMini. I can hold it on the bottom, in my right hand and in my left hand. When I was playing with my husband's Kindle3, I was really missing that bottom navigation method...
Old 09-02-2010, 04:54 AM   #110
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Where did you get a jetbook mini? I thought it hadn't been released yet?
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 08:21 AM   #111
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Ugly. Very ugly. I prefer a slightly longer longer device instead of a wider device. I agree with GA Russell, it'll be too wide for a pocket. While if it were a bit longer and smaller, it would probably fit, though it might stick out a bit.
Functional. Extremely functional.

The design is built around usability not marketting.
They are meant to be used one-handed in either hand and the curves are designed to be comfortably held, not pretty. Even the rounded ridge serves a purpose, maybe two. (It looks like it can lie on its face without activating any button.) True, the top and bottom buttons could be prettier but, on the other hand, there is no doubt as to where to press to activate them. (The PB360 is built on a similar philosophy but their top and bottom buttons are hidden under stiff plastic flaps. It looks gorgeous but it takes a few tries to figure out the sweet spot that activates them reliably.)

All it needs is a line of snap-on plastic covers with colorful designs. Maybe even a Barbie, Hot Wheels, or a Hello Kitty cover. (Gettem while they're young!)

If the software lives up to the hardware (and current Jetbook software is decent--not great but competent and very stable)--you'd have the equivalent of a cute young lady with a great personality. As opposed to an anoxeric fashion plate.

At the price point Jetbook operates at, function is more important than looks and the Mini is looking like it might be a lot of young people's first reader. So the dayglo plastic is appropriate; these are *not* intended to be seen in corporate boardrooms.

To me, they look like savvy "counter-programming" to the K3. They know nobody can match the K3 combo of features, ergonomics, looks, and price so they looked for a *different* value proposition; LCD instead of eink, bright colors instead of elegant graphite-gray, ePub instead of azw support, etc, etc. Throw in a price around US$99 and place it in department stores, pharmacies, etc, and go for the younger reader who *isn't* going to be buying a couple dozen books a year but *is* likely to be reading classics and tapping libraries.

It won't sell a couple million a year (just yet) but then, neither is anybody else this side of Kindle.

If the Ectaco guys really did crash the Sony launch event and snuck the Mini in then I bow to their savvy; a clever move that hints at a guerilla marketting campaign to come. I'd keep an eye on the product and the company. And it wouldn't shock me if the Mini outsells Sony in at least several markets.

Last edited by fjtorres; 09-02-2010 at 08:26 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:57 AM   #112
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Functional. Extremely functional.

The design is built around usability not marketting.
They are meant to be used one-handed in either hand and the curves are designed to be comfortably held, not pretty. Even the rounded ridge serves a purpose, maybe two. (It looks like it can lie on its face without activating any button.) True, the top and bottom buttons could be prettier but, on the other hand, there is no doubt as to where to press to activate them. (The PB360 is built on a similar philosophy but their top and bottom buttons are hidden under stiff plastic flaps. It looks gorgeous but it takes a few tries to figure out the sweet spot that activates them reliably.)
How can you hold it comfortably with your right hand? It has that huge bezel there, with those buttons. And there are no buttons on the left side and no buttons on the bottom. If I look how I use my BBMini, I use the bottom ones the most, then the left side, and only then the right...
Old 09-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #113
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
My first impression is that the Mini is too wide to fit in most sports coat inner pockets.

Isn't that one of the goals of the 5" screen?
Well, I think we will need to wait on final dimensions. My general impression though is that it looks like the bezel on the left side is so thin that it might well balance out the extra bezel on the right side such that it might actually be no wider than a standard Jetbook.

I like the idea of having the page turn buttons on the side like that.. though I have never had a reader with them, so I am not sure how much I would like it in practice.

Still I am glad to see Ectaco is staying in the game. I enjoyed my two years with a Jetbook.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:58 AM   #114
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
How can you hold it comfortably with your right hand? It has that huge bezel there, with those buttons. And there are no buttons on the left side and no buttons on the bottom. If I look how I use my BBMini, I use the bottom ones the most, then the left side, and only then the right...
If this is like the Pocketbook 360 it will allow you to flip the text in any orientation so you can put the buttons wherever you want them. I use my PB360 "upside-down" with the buttons on the left and the PB logo upside-down.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:05 AM   #115
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How?
Easy. I hold it like a book, not like a cellphone or PDA.
In otherwords, you don't grip it from the sides like a vise; you rest it on your palm and keep your thumb above the paging button.
More precisely; *I* rest it on the inner edge of my small finger, let the back of the reader rest on my other finger and then my thumb does what thumbs are supposed to do. Paging is a function of a bit of added pressure by the thumb.

On my BeBook, which is has pretty much the same layout of your mini, I put it into the case upside down so I can weave the fingers through the folder cover because it is too big to rest on my finger. he effect is still similar, but it only works with the left hand. Which is okay since I read that way more often than not, despite being an extreme righty. (Normally my left arm is only good to keep me from tipping over.)

On my PB360, I remapped the paging functions to the central rocker ring so that my thumb naturally and by itself (no stress!) falls right on the edge of the ring. If you look at the Sony vs JB Mini video you'll notice that is how the mini pages.

I can see that people would want their readers to be tall and thin if they see them as oversized cellphones (and, to be honest; a lot of the generic chinese designers are building them that way) but if you see them as small light books then proper ergonomic design is for one-handed use. The old rocket reader (still around as the Ebookwise 1150) used that design philosophy to great effect. Today that school of design is evident in the Jetbook/Aluratech readers, the PB360, the Papyrus One, and to a lesser extent in the K3, PB302iRex, and Nook. The combination of spine-mounted controls and vertical symmetry (with screen rotation in software) is also very lefty-friendly. So you're not only reaching out to that extra 12% of the market at no added cost, you also save on the manufacturing cost of the extra buttons. Which is why I said the horizontally-symmetrical K3 and PB302 follow the philosophy to an extent; instead of designing for rotation, they design for hand-swapping. Which isn't bad but adds cost.

Anyway, if I'm right and the rainbow hues of the JB Mini means tey're going to target younger readers the matter of whether or not it fits in a sport coat pocket is likely moot; the target audience is more likely going to pop it into a backpack or shoulder bag. I just hope they do offer a PB360-style snap-on cover. Cause it does look pretty thin.

The way I see it, the reader business is now reaching a point where metoo hardware designs are going to be at a disadvantage over the well thought-out iconoclasts. We're going to be up to our gills in Kindle-wannabees and iPad lookalikes. The survivors from now on are going to the ones that stand out from the crowd. Cause, as I said, I doubt anybody is going to out-kindle Kindle any time soon.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #116
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
If this is like the Pocketbook 360 it will allow you to flip the text in any orientation so you can put the buttons wherever you want them. I use my PB360 "upside-down" with the buttons on the left and the PB logo upside-down.

-Marcy
I would have to turn around the book every time I switch hands? Not very practical...

And fjtorres, I like to hold my device in the palm of my hand. I never grip it (my PDA just fits between the fingers, my Mini is actually already too large for that). I let it rest on my pinkie, with my index finger near the side buttons (and my thumb near the bottom buttons). Which is why I can't see myself holding that Jetbook Mini comfortably.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:41 AM   #117
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I would have to turn around the book every time I switch hands? Not very practical...

And fjtorres, I like to hold my device in the palm of my hand. I never grip it (my PDA just fits between the fingers, my Mini is actually already too large for that). I let it rest on my pinkie, with my index finger near the side buttons (and my thumb near the bottom buttons). Which is why I can't see myself holding that Jetbook Mini comfortably.
So you page with the numbered buttons?
I tried that on the BeBook and my thumb hurt after a few minutes.
And it tended to tip over on me. (Same issue I have with the Sony bottom-mounted paging buttons.)
Different strokes and all that.

As for rotating the reader when switching hands; yes. The PB360 has a motion sensor that automatically rotates the screen. It's no more effort that turning a page on a P-book. Like the black flash on eink screens you quickly get used to it and stop taking notice.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:04 PM   #118
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
That wide bezel is specifically for holding onto. I'm certain that there will be a screen rotation option (there is already on the Jetbook/Aluratek -- just add two more 90-degree stops.) Don't waste money on an accelerometer -- not for such a simple purpose.

I owned an REB1100 for years -- by far the best ergonomically-designed ebook reader; they even used the giant battery as a hand-grip and a way to prop up the device for reading. Once you've used something good, the rest of these terrible designs (including the Kindle) become obvious. As I've said, I like my Libre but it is a struggle to use naturally (ie: without conscious thought intruding.) I constantly have to consider strategies in how to hold it, or balance it, or push the buttons.

Holding this JBMini is going to be easy. If there is reasonable configurability on the buttons, it's going to become completely transparent. Pick it up, turn it on, your thumb will sit on the page-turn button. No struggle to find a way to curve your thumb backward to drag a slide-bar, or reach across the device to push a button, or balance it on your palm and little finger. Just hold it, like a tool, and push the frackin' button. Think about how you hold a car-remote, or a hammer.

Forgive my frustration, but I go a little nuts every time I end up having to use two hands to read. It's not like designers don't have hands, is it? Don't they drink coffee while reading?

I think the new Sony readers are beautiful. I would like one (and I may, after the price falls somewhat) but for all their beauty (and glorious touch-screens) my guess is that some genius somewhere decided that because a paper-book has a spine that causes us to hold the middle-bottom of a book, that's what we should do with our flat readers. So the buttons are at the bottom, along a narrow bezel, such that we need two thumbs on one hand to use it effectively.

I will buy this. It will work, be reasonably sturdy, feel pretty good in the hand, be useable by either hand, be widely available and probably be pretty cheap. It won't be wired to some corporate scheme to milk me of money, it won't spy on my reading habits, it won't flash when I change a page, and it won't have middle-of-the-road-let's-just-do-what-everybody-else-is-doing-and-not-shock-the-neighbors design.

And I can probably get it in bright yellow.

If they added a touch-screen, an indiglo backlight and buttons on the back, it would be perfect.
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:51 PM   #119
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
If they added a touch-screen, an indiglo backlight and buttons on the back, it would be perfect.
...and they could call it the Rock-it Book 2011, right?
Old 09-02-2010, 05:41 PM   #120
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
If they added a touch-screen, an indiglo backlight
That's called an electroluminescent display. Old Handspring (and maybe old Palm?) PDAs had them. Not the best looking things, but they're serviceable. One year a few years back a massive ice storm in the Southeast US meant I went 5 days without electricity. I spent those long, dark nights reading from my Handspring's electroluminescent backlight. (It fed off of AAA batteries-- if it was something that had to be recharged every few hours, I'd have been SOL the first day.)
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ectaco, ereader, jetbook, jetbook lite, jetbook mini