Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-06-2010, 07:46 AM   #16
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
That's it exactly, all this locking down just shows fear and distrust, not a very helpful climate for creating and exchanging ideas.

But there are still a lot of writers who don't even have their work out as ebooks. The whole drm question has not even arisen for them yet.

I hope all these are just teething problems of a new reality. But having such shortsighted legislations in place sure isn't helping.
It's going to be a rude awakening for some writers in the coming years. Free, as in freedom is rapidly becoming the gold standard. DRM is an irrelevant non-technology that cannot be maintained.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:54 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Without copyright protection for content producers, there is no commercial incentive to create content. Amateur writing is all well and good, and bravo to those who do write for the love of it, but if you want professional authors to carry on writing, there has to be an effective mechanism in place to allow those authors the opportunity to make a fair return from their work.

DRM is not inherently bad - most of us, for example, accept without complaint the DRM which is present on DVDs, and the reason for that is that all DVD players will play such DVDs. What is needed is an effective DRM mechanism for eBooks that is a universal standard, and does not impede customers from making reasonable use of their books.

Much as I'd like to see the abolition of DRM, I honestly believe that's an unrealistic goal.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 08:05 AM   #18
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Without copyright protection for content producers, there is no commercial incentive to create content. Amateur writing is all well and good, and bravo to those who do write for the love of it, but if you want professional authors to carry on writing, there has to be an effective mechanism in place to allow those authors the opportunity to make a fair return from their work.

DRM is not inherently bad - most of us, for example, accept without complaint the DRM which is present on DVDs, and the reason for that is that all DVD players will play such DVDs. What is needed is an effective DRM mechanism for eBooks that is a universal standard, and does not impede customers from making reasonable use of their books.

Much as I'd like to see the abolition of DRM, I honestly believe that's an unrealistic goal.
Those 'professional' writers won't last the next ten years in the face of what is happening to our culture and to our economic and social systems. Professional means very little in the digital world, a word that in reality means very little outside either. The difference between professional and amateur creator is the sanction by a publisher who is willing to gamble on monetary returns (more often than not wrong).

And I do not accept, nor have I ever accepted DRM on any product I buy. I strip the DRM immediately and content shift all my DVD/Blu-Ray/Book purchases into a non-DRM format.

The unrealistic goal is that DRM can survive in the face of the internet. It cannot. It will not. It should not.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:09 AM   #19
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Quote:

Why? Mp3s don't have drm, do they? And the music scene is as alive as ever.

A 'professional' artist is for me a bit of an oxymoron. But even so, I believe most people will want to reward a writer they like. They don't have to be forced by artificial means like drm. Speaking for myself, as I am of a contrary nature, being forced to pay for something (especially extra)will have a negative effect on me actually paying.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:49 AM   #20
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:

But even so, I believe most people will want to reward a writer they like. They don't have to be forced by artificial means like drm.
I can't write an entertaining story of any type. What I can do with my money is support new writers by buying their books.

Another thing I can do is to not buy DRM books. Publishers aren't going to notice that though. They'll just chalk lower sales up to piracy. They'll think that they need more laws and better DRM.

And to show you how UTTERLY STUPID they are, I have a true story.

In the mid '90s there was a lot of talk about the "Internet Supper Highway". There was a senator (I'm not sure which state he was from, somewhere around Montana or North/South Dakota) that asked "What can we do to prevent drunk driving on the Internet Supper Highway?"

Those that believe that the "government" can help us....

Well, maybe they shouldn’t drive drunk on the Internet Supper Highway.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 09:54 AM   #21
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4

It's painfully obvious that most legislators have no idea what they are talking about, at least in technological matters. But they never let that stop them. And the less you know, the more you fear of course.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:07 AM   #22
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
effective DRM
Well, these two works don't go together well. And never will.
Hey, name me a drm that wasn't broken ? They only make sure the paid product have less value, because it is locked.

And if you where speaking of drm on DVD, these are pain really. Make putting a copy on my portable player a bit of a mess. (Yes, MY player, for MY use.) An illegal copy would have just been copy / past.
And blue-ray are even worse. I'll think twice before buying an other one.
Customer don't buy someting to put it on torrent site. On the other hand, they want someting that "just works". And DRM succed in making things not working, a lot.

Music industry got the message, and ditched DRM. No we're wating for the movies, books and gamming industry to wake up.

Is dmca really applied ? I don't think anyone went to trial for de-drm for personal use right ?

Last edited by EowynCarter; 06-06-2010 at 10:15 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #23
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Without copyright protection for content producers, there is no commercial incentive to create content.
Why not? What empirical studies do you base this claim on?

Quote:
DRM is not inherently bad - most of us, for example, accept without complaint the DRM which is present on DVDs,
Nearly nobody in Sweden accepts it since nearly everybody buy a player that can play all regions and in this way circumvent the DRM. Also people are now regularly breaking the DRM on their DVDs to move the data to a hard drive. They want to put the DVDs in the cellar to save room.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It seems like simple common sense to me, Tommy.

Copyright law grants the creator of a work the exclusive right to control it and profit from it. I don't need to conduct "empirical studies" to tell me that if that exclusive right to profit from a work did not exist, neither would the motive to create it.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #25
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It seems like simple common sense to me, Tommy.

Copyright law grants the creator of a work the exclusive right to control it and profit from it. I don't need to conduct "empirical studies" to tell me that if that exclusive right to profit from a work did not exist, neither would the motive to create it.
But your claim was not that it was the copyright law that was the important thing. You said that DRM was necessary. I agree that some kind of copyright is a good idea (a short time like 14 years). But the statement that DRM is necessary for the copyright law to have the intended effect I strongly believe is false. In any case there is no empirical evidence to support your strong claim.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #26
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
if that exclusive right to profit from a work did not exist, neither would the motive to create it.
You should know that historically people have always created. And even when we have copyright it seems that exclusive right is nearly never a necessary condition to create.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:26 PM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No, I didn't say that. What I said - and the statement that you quoted - was:

Quote:
Without copyright protection for content producers, there is no commercial incentive to create content.
I certainly don't think that DRM is necessary in order to produce and sell commercial products. Publishers may think that it is (which is why I said that I think DRM is inevitable), but that is an mistaken belief.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #28
Avarwen
Connoisseur
Avarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of light

Device: EZ_ Reader, Nook wifi, Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphinome View Post
it came to the US years ago its called the DMCA
Ah I was wondering about that I'm still new to ebooks so I still have some things to learn.
Avarwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:18 PM   #29
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
In any case, they can't really enter your house or look at your readers and say: "Aha! You bought this as a kindle book and now you read it on your sony! Busted!" Or can they?
If your reader has internet access they wouldn't really need to enter your house.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:24 PM   #30
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:

Books will follow the same path as music. It has so far, with the same mistakes being made at each point along the way. So far the only thing that the book publishers did differently was that they didn't try to block the manufacture of standalone ebook readers like the music publishers tried to do with mp3 players.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote