Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
sparrowlight
Zealot
sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch as backup
Jailbreaking Kindle 5.1 Unsuccessful

Hello all,

I am trying to jailbreak my Kindle Touch using this method. I am not having any luck though it seems like I am following the steps exactly. When I restart my Kindle, it reboots normally and never enters into diagnostic mode. What am I doing wrong? Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks.
sparrowlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:38 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowlight View Post
Hello all,

I am trying to jailbreak my Kindle Touch using this method. I am not having any luck though it seems like I am following the steps exactly. When I restart my Kindle, it reboots normally and never enters into diagnostic mode. What am I doing wrong? Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks.
At the very top of this forum you will find a "sticky" thread about de-bricking the Kindle Touch.
This question belongs in that thread so that the next person with your same problem has a single place to look (the top sticky thread).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Try with this ENABLE_DIAGS file
Attached Files
File Type: zip ENABLE_DIAGS.zip (158 Bytes, 425 views)
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Ah, so - the "hidden by Windows, .txt extension" problem. My bad.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
sparrowlight
Zealot
sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
At the very top of this forum you will find a "sticky" thread about de-bricking the Kindle Touch.
This question belongs in that thread so that the next person with your same problem has a single place to look (the top sticky thread).
I thought debricking was for fixing unresponsive Kindles. My Kindle works, it just won't accept/run the jailbreak.
Advert
Old 05-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
sparrowlight
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Ah, so - the "hidden by Windows, .txt extension" problem. My bad.
I'm on a Mac. I'm trying the zipped ENABLE_DIAGS file now.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
sparrowlight
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
SUCCESS! Thank you so much, thomass! Now I will try the simple screensaver hack. I'm so relieved.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Hmmm.... ok. Taking thomass' idea one step further, I'll attach here a complete file for the steps 3-5 (and modify the Wiki accordingly).

Update: done. This unfortunately changed the numbering of the steps, but hopefully helps to prevent future irritations.
Update2: repackaged again, so only a single download is required. (see the posts below).
Attached Files
File Type: zip jailbreak_kt510.zip (28.4 KB, 9776 views)

Last edited by ixtab; 05-23-2012 at 12:11 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #9
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Hmmm.... ok. Taking thomass' idea one step further, I'll attach here a complete file for the steps 3-5 (and modify the Wiki accordingly).

Update: done. This unfortunately changed the numbering of the steps, but hopefully helps to prevent future irritations.
Why did you leave out the data.tar.gz file? This way they need to drop two files on the kindle...

IMHO there should be ONE file that drops everthing needed including the files above AND the jailbreak data.tar.gz. While updating this method, now that data.tar.gz extracts in diags, it would be nice if it deposited the /usr/local files needed by dropbear SSH... IMHO

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-23-2012 at 10:44 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #10
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Why did you leave out the data.tar.gz file? This way they need to drop two files on the kindle...

IMHO there should be ONE file that drops everthing needed including the files above AND the jailbreak data.tar.gz. While updating this method, now that data.tar.gz extracts in diags, it would be nice if it deposited the /usr/local files needed by dropbear SSH... IMHO
Well... yeah. Repackaging 3 files into only one isn't exactly a huge issue. Then again, unpacking 2 files instead of one isn't either.

For updating the data.tar.gz file, I admit that I'm not going to touch this one, because it got way over my head. What used to be a tiny and understandable script has now become about 600 lines of code(*), distributed over 3 different files, supporting multiple methods on multiple devices etc. I just don't know what is important and what is not in that version - so I simply don't touch it.

(*) Contrast with the 3rd paragraph of https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...64&postcount=4 (yes, this has also grown in the mean time).

Last edited by ixtab; 05-23-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #11
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well... yeah. Repackaging 3 files into only one isn't exactly a huge issue. Then again, unpacking 2 files instead of one isn't either.

For updating the data.tar.gz file, I admit that I'm not going to touch this one, because it got way over my head. What used to be a tiny and understandable script has now become about 600 lines of code(*), distributed over 3 different files, supporting multiple methods on multiple devices etc. I just don't know what is important and what is not in that version - so I simply don't touch it.

(*) Contrast with the 3rd paragraph of https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...64&postcount=4 (yes, this has also grown in the mean time).
It is elegant when you can do a lot with a little code.

And trying to support multiple kindles does get ugly. I just thought that if we need to support ENABLE_DIAGS without a hidden .txt file extension, we might as well go "all the way". I see your point about not wanting to change a script file inside data.tar.gz, so making it check for and install missing SSH files would only make it more complex and likely to fail in some spectacular way on some not yet released firmware version.

But "componentizing" the hacks the way they are can be confusing to beginners, especially when ENABLE_DIAGS needs extra "help" from a tarball.

Having all the "standard options" that everybody needs packaged together into a "one-button solution" and automatically installed with the jailbreak would just make life easier for some of us is all. Easy for users is usually NOT easy for developers, unfortunately.

EDIT: Eventually, it would be nice to see the jailbreaks with their own "native mode" eink GUI (using stuff from the "algorithmic art" and "sigcap" scripts) that supports touchscreen and keyboard on multiple kindles, so users can select which hacks they want to install. It is only a matter of time (a rare and precious item for some).

EDIT 2: There are other threads containing posts today that have problems caused by windows hiding file extensions. Windows users should change their settings to show hidden file extensions, and to show system and hidden files and folders. Otherwise what you see (from windows) is NOT what you get. Just do it...

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-23-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #12
ixtab
(offline)

OK, I repackaged everything into a single file. But as said, I did not actually touch the data.tar.gz.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #13
geekmaster

Quote:
OK, I repackaged everything into a single file. But as said, I did not actually touch the data.tar.gz.
Any suggestions about changes to data.tar.gz were just "wish list" items. What you did is all I really cared about now. Dropping one file on the kindle and extracting means that there are less things for end users to forget to do, so a higher chance of success without needing to ask for help (especially now that we need to run this in diags anyway).

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-23-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #14
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Geekmasters idea about the "all-in-one" solution for hack packages reminds me somehow of the package you (ixtab) made for the german localisation.

So we could create an extra thread where people could check on a multiple choice form the hacks they want and someone having nothing else to do puts the packages together and even delivers to a given e-mail adress. ;-)
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #15
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
Geekmasters idea about the "all-in-one" solution for hack packages reminds me somehow of the package you (ixtab) made for the german localisation.

So we could create an extra thread where people could check on a multiple choice form the hacks they want and someone having nothing else to do puts the packages together and even delivers to a given e-mail adress. ;-)
I was actually suggesting that the jailbreak contain a GUI with buttons and checkboxes (based on script code that reads keypresses and touchscreen events, and writes to the eink). You can do all of that with built-in commands (eips, waitforkey, hexdump, and dd). There was even an onscreen terminal posted, written complete in /bin/sh script, which used code from the "titty" script to draw text characters on the eink display using "dd". We could extend this into a jailbreak GUI that only needs to use built-in commands to do its "GUI stuff".

Tags
jailbreak, kindle touch