Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-17-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Nook STR Vs SONY & The World

I went to Best Buy today once more to check out a T1. I did the same a while ago and the unit they had was flashing like crazy when turning pages. So I didn't pick it up and figured I would come back to check another unit.

Well, I went today. I opened a book (the pre-loaded '80 days') and as I opened it, it started flipping pages... and that was it. It eventually stopped, but everything was frozen. Could not get it to respond at all. Taking it as a bad sign, I didn't, once more, purchase the device. Really glad I didn't now that I read that auto-delivery is not working at all right now on T1s...

Anyhow... long intro to say that, for the first time, I saw a Nook STR live. And OMG - the screen is SOOOO much better than anything else I have seen so far. The T1, next to it, has a darker background and lighter fonts... as do all other readers I saw there.

Now, I know this might belong in the Nook forum but it's the comparison with SONY I care about - anyone own both brands? Any insights on how the screens compare? Any other comparisons?

I am really tempted to look into the Nook as a backup reader. Would that be feasible? If I remove DRM, will I be able to transfer my SONY-store books over? Is that even legal?
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Most reports I've read say that the Nook STR seems to have a worse screen, fwiw. Although keeping in mind that they are all Pearl screens, I don't know if B&N Nook has a lower "grade" screen, or whether it was all random. I think the Nook STR, in terms of form factor, has everything I want in an ebook reader. Configurable side page turn buttons, touch screen, and wi-fi. I just don't think the implementation has been great, I don't like the restrictions around having non-B&N books, or the lack of a supported browser, etc. All of this may be fixable by rooting the STR and it's still on my "list" but I don't know if I should wait.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post

I am really tempted to look into the Nook as a backup reader. Would that be feasible? If I remove DRM, will I be able to transfer my SONY-store books over? Is that even legal?
You don't need to remove DRM from your ePubs. The NOOK can read regular Adobe DRM. You just need to authorize it using Adobe Digital Editions.

I had one. You may want to do some reading in the NOOK sub-forum particularly about the home screen. None of your sideloaded content will appear on the homescreen, except what you are currently reading. The bottom row is for books they would like you to buy. On the right of the screen is a list of their books/periodicals you recently added to your library. For these reasons, many bypass the homescreen altogether and sleep from the library screen.

You can't delete anything directly from the device. You must login to your online B&N NOOK account and delete books from there. You can archive stuff. I mention delete because they frequently force download samples to your device and you can't opt out of it. For sideloaded content you must connect to a computer and delete using a file manager.

Book metadata is not recognized. Not even book summary. You must manually place your books on shelves. This can't be done on a computer or online to be synced. If you do a factory reset, you will need to redo your shelves directly on the device.

Last edited by SCION; 10-17-2011 at 05:01 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:52 PM   #4
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The sooner you start remving DRM from your book collection, the less tears and hassle you'll have to go through later in life when you have more. The only people who shouldn't be worrying about it are the 'read and dispose' crowd.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
You don't need to remove DRM from your ePubs. The NOOK can read regular Adobe DRM. You just need to authorize it using Adobe Digital Editions.

I had one. You may want to do some reading in the NOOK sub-forum particularly about the home screen. None of your sideloaded content will appear on the homescreen, except what you are currently reading. The bottom row is for books they would like you to buy. On the left of the screen is a list of their books/periodicals you recently added to your library. For these reasons, many bypass the homescreen altogether and sleep from the library screen.

You can't delete anything directly from the device. You must login to your online B&N NOOK account and delete books from there. You can archive stuff. I mention delete because they frequently force download samples to your device and you can't opt out of it. For sideloaded content you must connect to a computer and delete using a file manager.
Thanks a lot. It's exactly this type of little quirks that I need to know about before making up my mind...
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks a lot. It's exactly this type of little quirks that I need to know about before making up my mind...
I added more. Just trying to assist with an informed decision.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
vxf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
Most reports I've read say that the Nook STR seems to have a worse screen, fwiw. Although keeping in mind that they are all Pearl screens, I don't know if B&N Nook has a lower "grade" screen, or whether it was all random. I think the Nook STR, in terms of form factor, has everything I want in an ebook reader. Configurable side page turn buttons, touch screen, and wi-fi. I just don't think the implementation has been great, I don't like the restrictions around having non-B&N books, or the lack of a supported browser, etc. All of this may be fixable by rooting the STR and it's still on my "list" but I don't know if I should wait.
I know all Pearl screens should be similar and I have never heard anyone saying that Nook's have better screens.... but that model I saw in store had a much better screen than the other models on display - SONY 350 and T1, various Kindles and Kobo Touch. The Nook just stood out...
Old 10-17-2011, 05:00 PM   #8
vxf
Guru

Quote:
I added more. Just trying to assist with an informed decision.
Very kind of you, thanks!
Old 10-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #9
vxf
Guru

I swear, I am tempted to buy a NOOK just so I can buy this cover:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/mast...=9781616825645

It's the coolest ebook reader cover ever!!!!
Old 10-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
I swear, I am tempted to buy a NOOK just so I can buy this cover:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/mast...=9781616825645

It's the coolest ebook reader cover ever!!!!
Oh my gosh!!! I love it. Makes me want to go back to the NOOK. Very cool, indeed.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I was impressed with the Nook STR when I saw it in demo mode at Best Buy and thought the text looked fantastic. Then I drove across the street to B&N to play with one not in demo mode. The text looked like night and day. Partial refresh on the STR is not for me. I suggest you look at one in non-demo mode before making any final opinions since everybody is different on what they like or don't like.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #12
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:

I had one. You may want to do some reading in the NOOK sub-forum particularly about the home screen. None of your sideloaded content will appear on the homescreen, except what you are currently reading. The bottom row is for books they would like you to buy. On the right of the screen is a list of their books/periodicals you recently added to your library. For these reasons, many bypass the homescreen altogether and sleep from the library screen.

Book metadata is not recognized. Not even book summary. You must manually place your books on shelves. This can't be done on a computer or online to be synced. If you do a factory reset, you will need to redo your shelves directly on the device.
Thank you for this. I really do like the "looks" of the Nook STR and the side page buttons, but I keep reading about all these little quirks in the software. I guess it's still down to the T1 being the frontrunner, even though I dislike its looks (glossy case and curved bottom, no side buttons). Maybe I can hold out one more year before upgrading. My 505 is nice, but I think the battery is really starting to hurt from 3.5 years of non-stop reading on it. and Wi-Fi, to download books directly from my cloud storage, would be freaking amazing.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:21 PM   #13
vxf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I was impressed with the Nook STR when I saw it in demo mode at Best Buy and thought the text looked fantastic. Then I drove across the street to B&N to play with one not in demo mode. The text looked like night and day. Partial refresh on the STR is not for me. I suggest you look at one in non-demo mode before making any final opinions since everybody is different on what they like or don't like.
The model I saw - and that impressed me so much - was indeed in demo mode. I will have to check out one in regular usage.

I just assumed screen quality would not be affected by it being in demo mode... but, given your comment, I'll look into it.

I would be willing to put up with quirky software, if the screen is as good as what I saw there.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:32 PM   #14
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
I know all Pearl screens should be similar and I have never heard anyone saying that Nook's have better screens.... but that model I saw in store had a much better screen than the other models on display - SONY 350 and T1, various Kindles and Kobo Touch. The Nook just stood out...
I actually went back to a Sony x50 with PRS+ after owning the Nook Touch.

I was happy with the wireless, delivery, etc. Just that while the Nook STR has greatly improved how the Nook handles side-loaded content, it is still worse than the Sony line has been for 2-3 generations now.

To me, the biggest deal is that the device gets out of my way when it comes time to read. The Kobo has the most useful home screen out of the box (IMO), because of this. The home screen can be my reading list. I can read a periodical and go back to my book with just a couple button presses. The Nook is pretty poor in this area with lots of wasted space on the home screen. The T1/x50 come in second behind the Kobo, but PRS+ can fix the x50s to my satisfaction, and I managed to produce a tweak to get the same out of the T1 as well (show recently opened on the home screen).

Having good categorization of books is the other big deal, and the fact that the Kobo doesn't have shelves in any sense, and the Nook doesn't expose any way for apps like Calibre to auto-shelve for me got old really quick. Even with the issues, the T1 is hard to beat in this area, except maybe by the x50s.

The Nook has been no more stable for me than the T1, but then again, I am not one of the folk hitting the T1 crashes. I can't deny that they happen though, and the Nook is probably more stable at this point. I just found out that really the only thing I like over the Nook vs the x50 is the font selection, and I got that with PRS+. Amasis on the T1 has less 'fuzzy' text in my books than the Nook did, as well, oddly enough.

It feels like a lot of companies are snatching defeat from the jaws of victory (Sony, Nook and Kobo are all doing it). I'd go Kindle if that didn't mean tying myself more closely to their ecosystem. Right now I like the fact that I can lookup, buy and download from most ePub sellers on the T1 without whipping out the PC.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:33 PM   #15
fishman69
Enthusiast
fishman69 began at the beginning.

Device: Sonys - 500, 505, 900, T1; Kindles - 2, 3; Nook - Touch
I have both a Nook STR and a Sony PRS-T1 and I think that the Sony screen is much more readable. I find the Sony to be clearer and especially better in that the print spacing is not squinched vertically in the Sony as it is in the Nook. Yes, while the Nook supposedly has a vertical spacing control, it does not work too well with many of the ePub books that I have. One more reason to detest ePub. Sony, PLEASE bring back BBeB, it was SOOOO MUCH more readable.

Harvey
fishman69 is offline   Reply With Quote