Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #1606
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mXb View Post
"The Christmas Train" by David Baldacci

Kobo UK price £4.19

Kindle UK price £0.99 !

That is a SALE price.....pity I don't have a Kindle.

"Sick of Shadows by Beaton

Kobo UK price £5.39

Kindle UK price £0.99

"The Lighthouse" by James

Kobo UK price £6.47

Kindle UK price (daily deal) £0.99 (85% off...note, not "up to" ! )

Come on Kobo, give us a REAL sale !!
I agree with your point re Kobo's 'sale' ...... grrrr

But I assume that you're just using the expression 'pity I don't have a Kindle' as an illustrative expression? That you do realise that you can download Kindle for PC and buy all Kindle books, which you then (clean and then) convert into Epub via Calibre?

(Ooops if I've interrupted the pathos of your statement )
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:37 AM   #1607
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
"The Christmas Train" by David Baldacci

Kobo UK price £4.19

Kindle UK price £0.99 !

That is a SALE price.....pity I don't have a Kindle.

"Sick of Shadows by Beaton

Kobo UK price £5.39

Kindle UK price £0.99

"The Lighthouse" by James

Kobo UK price £6.47

Kindle UK price (daily deal) £0.99 (85% off...note, not "up to" ! )

Come on Kobo, give us a REAL sale !!
I've been able to buy basically as many books as I want for 40% off for over a month now. Now that is what I can a great sale! I'll take 40% off any book of my choice over 80% off some random books I may have no interest in any day.
For example, I just decided I wanted to buy Shantaram and so I used the 40% off discount code and got it for 543 yen or about $6.30US. Or I could have bought it on Amazon for a princely sum of $12. Now that is NOT what I call a REAL sale.

Last edited by Canuck_in_Japan; 12-29-2012 at 01:42 AM.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:04 AM   #1608
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I've been able to buy basically as many books as I want for 40% off for over a month now. Now that is what I can a great sale! I'll take 40% off any book of my choice over 80% off some random books I may have no interest in any day.
For example, I just decided I wanted to buy Shantaram and so I used the 40% off discount code and got it for 543 yen or about $6.30US. Or I could have bought it on Amazon for a princely sum of $12. Now that is NOT what I call a REAL sale.
Agree totally
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:03 AM   #1609
Turnstone
Zealot
Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
At least you all get something from Kobo. This year Germany was totally left out with Christmas specials. Last year we got a free book, but now I only read about discounts on books and ereaders for USA, Canada, UK, Australia and Japan... When I click on the links for the discounted books I only get a blank page.

But bargainmoose40 works fine. Too bad that all German books are agency books, but I can read English books, and so I do! German ebooks are way too expensive anyway.
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #1610
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Good some reactions at last.

Yes I could buy Kindle books etc and spend the rest of eternity converting them.

Yes I also have been using (over using ?) BargainMoose, and couldn't agree more that it is a great discount.

So why didn't Kobo advertise that straight, no messing around, reusable 40% off, instead of this (suspect ?) "up to 80% off" offer ?

All I am after is a genuine sale.

If you think their "up to 80% off" fits that bill thats your prerogative.

...no I don't really wish I had a Kindle, I am against Amazon's "closed" system. But they do give better deals, BargainMoose aside.
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #1611
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by septentrion View Post
Argh. Why isn't there a Christmas sale at Kobo France?
My thoughts exactly!
I know that the eBook market is ages behind in France, but it won't take off unless it's interesting to buy eBooks
So far, I considered being lucky when I received a code from Kobo for a 5% discount. And it was months ago.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #1612
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Finally used bargainmoose40 today :-D Actually went on a bit of an ebook-buying spree...
Thanks for the tip about buying a Kobo Voucher - now my credit card company won't be weirded out by all the mini-transactions!

However, just to warn folks that if you have credit on the account, buying a voucher uses credit. So, let's say you intend to buy €25 worth of various ebooks but only have €5 credit left in your Kobo account. You might only buy a €20 voucher... but they use your remaining credit up on buying the voucher, which means it costs you only €15 but then when you add it to your account you only have €20 in your Kobo account instead of the €25 you intended to have.

Did I write that in a way that makes sense?
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:01 AM   #1613
beardog
beardog began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Thanks Goat - some good deals- with the codes you said
"NOTE 2: You do have to make sure that you are buying a non-agency book." just wondering if you could clarify/expand on that for me - i'm new to this whole kobo thing... what happens if you use the code on an agency book, for example?

Last edited by beardog; 12-30-2012 at 04:06 AM.
beardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:50 AM   #1614
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardog View Post
what happens if you use the code on an agency book, for example?
You can't use a code on an agency book. The possibilty of entering a code is disabled.

Agency prices are fixed and the books cost the same in all stores. No discounts...
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #1615
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Good some reactions at last.

Yes I could buy Kindle books etc and spend the rest of eternity converting them.

Yes I also have been using (over using ?) BargainMoose, and couldn't agree more that it is a great discount.

So why didn't Kobo advertise that straight, no messing around, reusable 40% off, instead of this (suspect ?) "up to 80% off" offer ?

All I am after is a genuine sale.

If you think their "up to 80% off" fits that bill thats your prerogative.

...no I don't really wish I had a Kindle, I am against Amazon's "closed" system. But they do give better deals, BargainMoose aside.
Again I'm not so sure I agree. I think both services provide equally good value. Amazon puts on sale a hundred books a month at $3.99 and in a good month I'll find a couple that I'm actually interested in buying. Kobo's sales aren't that great either I find but they are pretty good at handing out 35/40/50% off coupons pretty regularly. I used to find that Amazon usually had slightly cheaper overall prices than Kobo but now that doesn't seem to be the case. I often find that Kobo has the same price or even cheaper than Amazon these days. Needless to say I get my books from whoever has them cheapest!
Old 12-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #1616
anonymoose
bookaholic
anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, Kobo Touch, Kobo app on iPhone
Quote:
Because the Bargainmoose coupon is a promotion for bargainmoose.ca readers that Bargainmoose arranged with Kobo. It's not a promotion by Kobo, it's a Bargainmoose promotion that happens to be for the Kobo website.
anonymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:06 AM   #1617
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Canuck_in_Japan.
Yes I agree, normally Kindle and Kobo prices are about the same. It's the sale prices that differ. In my opinion Kindle sale prices seem much more genuine than Kobo's upto 80% off.

anonymoose. Yes the BargainMoose40 code is a promotion by BargainMoose NOT a sale by Kobo. So what do Kobo come up with as sale for Christmas ? their, in my opinion, pathetic "up to 80% off" Sale !

That is all I am complaing about.

That's me done on the subject...

yippee I've reached a 100 and am now a Zealot.
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:33 AM   #1618
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I bought about 16 or so books on Cyber Monday which were 90% off... and I think that a 40% off code that works multiple times on every non agency book is not too shabby, either - and Kobo had to accept the deal with Bargainmoose to make that happen, didn't they?

I really like Amazon's deals as well, but it's not always what I want. Neither are Kobo's deals. But at least there are deals at all for books in English...
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:06 AM   #1619
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
mXb
Just curious, what do you mean when you say you feel Amazon's deals are more genuine? From my limited understanding, Amazon deals are often publisher promotions as well. IIRC, Amazon's free mystery and suspense titles in October were a Poison Pen Press promotion. Their other deals can often be found at other sites as well so I assume that these are publisher promotions also.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #1620
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard

And Bargainmoose is over! Well, it was certainly good while it lasted!

Tags
coupon, discount, ridiculous deals