Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Does lack of SD card support effect you're buying of the Nexus 7?
Yes, I'm not buying because of this. 101 41.91%
No, not a problem at all. 61 25.31%
I'm buying the 16GB because of this. 34 14.11%
I'm not in the market for a tablet, but I like to vote. 45 18.67%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #31
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
It's not a COMPLETE deal-breaker, but it's pretty close. If the price of the 8GB version were higher, though, I'd definitely pass.

As it stands now, I'm still considering picking one up.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:01 AM   #32
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
It's not an absolute deal breaker for me.

I'm in the early stages of considering my first tablet. Don't want to go full in with an iPad or similar big ticket, but something in this price range.

Maybe a Fire, Samsung, Assus, or the Nexus 7.

Mostly going to be for books, secondary music device, and some video. Oh, and some apps, of course.

Bigger concerns for me are usefulness/functionality when offline (I don't live in a free wi-fi is everywhere kind of area) and getting content to the device when away from wi-fi.

Just starting to look at what might fit the needs & my budget.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #33
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Not a big deal for me. My ex-GF uses an iPad with the Apple camera connection kit. That lets you upload to the tablet from a card. Oddly, no download that way though.

So if some similar cable was available for the Nexus it'd do the deed well enough for me, combined with 16 GB of memory. A typical movie file size for tablets is 3 to 4 GB, right?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
A typical movie file size for tablets is 3 to 4 GB, right?
No, not even that big. An MPEG4 movie at 640x350 (which is absolutely fine for viewing on a tablet) is typically around 500-800MB.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #35
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
So if some similar cable was available for the Nexus it'd do the deed well enough for me, combined with 16 GB of memory. A typical movie file size for tablets is 3 to 4 GB, right?
I believe an adapter is available and you can get it pretty cheap, too (~$1). File size depends on the resolution/quality.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #36
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I'm NOT in the quaint position that some of you are in-- you have more than can fit on a 16 gig tablet but not so much that an sd card would allow you to carry everything.

I have more stuff than a tablet + sd card would allow for. I've picked up on a habit for portable devices quite awhile ago-- load what I want for a week or two and swap out content regularly. I don't get what the obsession is with having everything on a portable device.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #37
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Who's talking about everything? If I wanted to put all my media content on 32GB SD cards, I'd need around 595 of them.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #38
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
I'm NOT in the quaint position that some of you are in-- you have more than can fit on a 16 gig tablet but not so much that an sd card would allow you to carry everything.

I have more stuff than a tablet + sd card would allow for. I've picked up on a habit for portable devices quite awhile ago-- load what I want for a week or two and swap out content regularly. I don't get what the obsession is with having everything on a portable device.
For me it's not really about being able to store everything on a portable device (I'd need several terabytes worth of storage to do that). It's more the need to have enough of a selection to choose from for whatever mood strikes my fancy.

Besides, you can carry more than one SD card at a time. You don't need to be able to fit all your content on a single SD card. I've got one of these in my wallet:
Old 06-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #39
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Besides, you can carry more than one SD card at a time. You don't need to be able to fit all your content on a single SD card. I've got one of these in my wallet
That looks pretty cool. Does it work well for you?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #40
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
That looks pretty cool. Does it work well for you?
Some cards fit a bit too tightly, but yeah, it works quite well. I'd rather have a snugger fit than have the cards falling off. There are tiny boxes in the back for each slot so you can write labels.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #41
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
For me it's not really about being able to store everything on a portable device (I'd need several terabytes worth of storage to do that). It's more the need to have enough of a selection to choose from for whatever mood strikes my fancy.
This.

It's not about being able to store everything, it's about being able to store a selection of movies and music from various genres, as well as a selection of comics and all my books (well, why not? They take up very little space compared to the other stuff). Which amounts to quite a lot.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #42
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, it's a big deal. I think the Samsung Tab 2 7.0 is a better deal, even though it is a little more expensive.
If you want that capability, you're probably right, though I think we're going to see even better deals before Christmas (even better than we would normally expect) thanks to the added pressure from the Fire and the Nexus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
We should all vote (with our wallets) against companies that try selling us less functionality for the same or more money
And as the Nexus is $50 LESS than any comparable tablet with an sd slot, you should have no issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, not even that big. An MPEG4 movie at 640x350 (which is absolutely fine for viewing on a tablet) is typically around 500-800MB.
True, and this is why an sd slot, while desirable, is not a deal breaker for me.
I currently have dozens of apps, 4 feature films, two short films, several audio books and albums a few dozen ebooks, and a few of the free comics on my Fire and I still have almost 2 GB free.

That being said, I would NOT have bought the Fire (all three of mine) for $199. I got them on sale for $150 each.
At $200 or more, if I wanted another device, I would require a camera, a video out, GPS, and, yes, preferably an SD slot.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #43
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
There will be many, many accessories soon enough, including, I would expect card readers that play nicely with The Nexus 7 and USB OTG. Some of the ones out there may do so already. Looking through my own kit, I have a wired hub, a portable drive, a 64GB memory stick, a card reader--lots of shtuff. I'm guessing that a $10 cable will work with many of these on the rare occasions that might need them to.

Let's not lose track of the fact that there doesn't have to be one true way of looking at this. Different people require different features. As my granny would say, "there's a lid for every pot."
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #44
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I had a Nook color but lack a 7" tablet at this point. I don't really need one (I have my Nook STG and my 10" Thrive tablet).

We have 2 Nook Colors running CM7 for the kids that have MicroSD though.

If I was in the market again, I think I'd probably either spring for the Galaxy Tab 2 7" at $250 (although the screen resolution is lower and the tab is a bit slower) or wait for the Acer A110.

The problem is, I think I'd rather have the proper/quick updates from Google than the SD slot - I love having one, but waiting for updates is totally out of my power and getting annoying (still waiting for ICS on my Thrive).

I'd say not having an SD slot is a deal breaker, but getting proper/timely updates from google almost outweighs the lack.

BTW: Someone needs to make a USB stick with a micro-USB port on the other end...that would be really handy.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #45
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I'm pre-ordering an 8GB one today, since I don't need to have a ton of movies on it 5.92GB is totally fine.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote