Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-25-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
Shai
Shai began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR
Unhappy B&N Nook STR international

I'm from Israel, new to the e-reader scene. The Nook STR seemed perfect for my needs (and I get the impression it is better in some ways than the comparable Kindle), until I discovered that without a US IP I couldn't d/l directly from B&N to Nook. Is there a solution? What do you suggest?
Shai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:12 PM   #2
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Welcome to MR!

Happy Holidays!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:00 AM   #3
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Welcome to the boards and Happy Holidays, Shai
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:18 AM   #4
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Even if you cannot download directly to the Nook it's an excellent device. You can buy form many different places, download to computer and then transfer to Nook without doing any DRM stripping and converting (as you would have to for thing you don't buy at Amazon if you have a Kindle).
I have given Nooks (both the "old" model and the Touch) to several family members and friends here in Sweden and they are all thrilled!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:20 AM   #5
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
I'm from Israel, new to the e-reader scene. The Nook STR seemed perfect for my needs (and I get the impression it is better in some ways than the comparable Kindle), until I discovered that without a US IP I couldn't d/l directly from B&N to Nook. Is there a solution? What do you suggest?
You can use the B&N website to buy ebooks:
- Register your B&N account with an US shipping and billing address. You can use any valid US address, just Google something. The billing address is not checked, so your own non-US credit card will work fine.
- Install a US VPN like Hotspot Shield (free) or alwaysVPN ($8.50).

Before buying books first start the VPN to get an US IP-address. When the VPN is active buy the books.
There are no restrictions for downloading books (just when buying them). So after buying the books just sync the library of your Nook, and the books will be downloaded using Wifi.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #6
Shai

Geertm, thank you very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
You can use the B&N website to buy ebooks:
- Register your B&N account with an US shipping and billing address. You can use any valid US address, just Google something. The billing address is not checked, so your own non-US credit card will work fine.
- Install a US VPN like Hotspot Shield (free) or alwaysVPN ($8.50).

Before buying books first start the VPN to get an US IP-address. When the VPN is active buy the books.
There are no restrictions for downloading books (just when buying them). So after buying the books just sync the library of your Nook, and the books will be downloaded using Wifi.
Just to clarify, do you mean that the ebook gets downloaded first to my laptop, then synced to the Nook?
Old 12-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
Shai

Thank you!
Old 12-26-2011, 04:08 PM   #8
Shai

Thank you for the nice welcome!
Old 12-27-2011, 10:14 AM   #9
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Just to clarify, do you mean that the ebook gets downloaded first to my laptop, then synced to the Nook?
Yes. Turn on whichever VPN (I use Hotspot Shield) you use on your computer before going to B&N's website. Then after you have your US ip go to B&N, buy your book, then you would wake up your Nook and sync your library. It will be there (I always have my library to show most recent so my newest books are show first).

I have heard some people buy a US pre-paid credit card and can download books directly with their Nook as long as they have their address and billing address both US. I am going to Mexico and I want to see if I can buy books with my Nook while there so I guess I will find out if it works (I already have a US credit card).
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #10
Shai

Smile Thank you! have a happy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
Yes. Turn on whichever VPN (I use Hotspot Shield) you use on your computer before going to B&N's website. Then after you have your US ip go to B&N, buy your book, then you would wake up your Nook and sync your library. It will be there (I always have my library to show most recent so my newest books are show first).

I have heard some people buy a US pre-paid credit card and can download books directly with their Nook as long as they have their address and billing address both US. I am going to Mexico and I want to see if I can buy books with my Nook while there so I guess I will find out if it works (I already have a US credit card).
Thank you. from what geertm says, it seems one can get around the "US credit card" hurdle just by giving any genuine US address. So it would be interesting to see if you could succeed even using a Canadian credit card.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:52 PM   #11
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The books are not downloaded first to your laptop. When you buy an ebook on the website the book is added to the library of your B&N account. Your Nook syncs with this library.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #12
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post

A few month ago B&N made it possible for people with an US credit card (issued by a US bank) to buy books outside the US.
If you have such a credit card, you can buy ebooks anywhere in the world, without using a VPN.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #13
geertm
Guru

Quote:

Thank you. from what geertm says, it seems one can get around the "US credit card" hurdle just by giving any genuine US address. So it would be interesting to see if you could succeed even using a Canadian credit card.
Because some books are available to Canada, Canadian IP-address are allowed. So if you have a Canadian IP-address you do not have to use an US VPN, just changing the addresses to an US address is enough (with a Canadian address you will only be allowed to buy the small number of books available to Canada).
As the billing address is not checked, a Canadian credit card will work fine.

Tags
b&n, nook simple touch, nook str