Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-06-2010, 01:47 PM   #76
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
How many people did it take the light the flame of our independence? 4 ? 5 ? 6 ? people? thats what it started with. a handful of people who said NO this is not how it should be.

Its much harder today. There are a lot more people. a larger percentage of them are skxwang and just don't care. They control the media to nearly 100% effectiveness. but WE still outnumber them thousands to one.

EVENTUALLY if we try had enough and we work hard enough to get enough people educated they WILL bend to our will.

Copyright is a PRIVILEDGE. don't forget that. Our founding fathers knew from day one that for the betterment of our society as a whole information should be FREE. They also understood that people did have a legitimate desire to profit from their hard work.

this priviledge was granted to foster more works on the market and balance it against the needs of the nation as a whole.

this system (copyright and patents) is now broken. they have manipulated it to the point where its just broken.

copyright should never last more than 5 years. If you want the period of time where they are the only ones who can PROFIT from the work? FINE but after 5 years non profit sharing should be 100% legal. no matter what.

this gives US the control. if they charge too much we go the free route. Its a form of natural price control.

can't be shorter than 5 years since people might simply "wait" for the free period but it should not be longer than 5 years since thats more than enough time for a monopoly to profit.

The patent system is all but useless to anyone but larger corporations. Us simple folk can not afford the $11,000 to $17,000 price tag to patent an object and even if we could we can not afford to DEFEND that patent if another violates it such as china.

The entire system is massively broken. the ONLY people who can fix it are US. NO politician is going to fix it since monetarily its NOT in their best interest unless WE compel them.

I will be straight - I have NO problems downloading mp3's I am fine with it morally as well.

I see NOTHING wrong with it. Downloading of mp3 is NO different to me than tuning into different radio stations.

they are both free (on both ends) the internet and file sharing is nothing more to me than a PUBLIC radio station on a massive scale.

the industry REALIZES the logical soundness of this comparison which is why they are now going after being able to CHARGE radio stations!!

If you hear something on the radio and you want it badly enough YOU go buy the CD just like if I hear something on joe public radio (torrent file sharing whatnot) that I like badly enough I GO BUY the CD.

Ebooks can never replace paper books to me any more than MP3 can replace CD's

the day I can not PURCHASE a CD or BOOK is the last day I will spend money on books or CD.

If I can not OWN IT. I will not PAY for it. I do not RENT my media. period. when you buy an ebook especially with DRM you effectively own NOTHING. (same with an mp3)

when I buy a CD or a paper book I OWN really physical properly. this property is MINE it would be exceedingly hard to "take" it from me law or not by anything less than physical force.

with digital content your rights are easily signed away and you have no real say and no real standing since you have no real property and ALL RIGHTS are derived from property.

no property NO RIGHTS.

I LOVE ebooks. I LOVE my Sony reader and my new kindle DX. but they can not replace my books. only supplement them.

to me my ereader is no different than my mp3 player. I rip my CD's and put them on my mp3 player for convenience.

I "rip" (or have someone else rip) my books and I put them on my kindle for convenience.

No difference and as far as I am concerned legal and morally sound.

if you want to sell ebooks you are not selling books. you are selling the convenience of converting MY BOOK to "ebook format" for me to put on my kindle.

IE if you own a paper book you should get the ebook for free (a convenience fee for the conversion is acceptable) but this should be under $1 ie about what the ebook is worth.

an ebook has no real property and therefore is valued in my eyes accordingly. IE nearly nothing. Same with MP3's

I do not buy licenses. I don't even RECOGNIZE licenses. I buy property. Plain and simple.

you should too.

Last edited by nerys; 07-06-2010 at 01:56 PM.
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:36 PM   #77
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I buy stories... from authors I like. Hardcover, paperback or ebook - I couldn't really give two craps. The value (for me) is in the words - and I'm willing to pay good money for the right to read those words, regardless of the medium. I'm not sure where all of this "ebooks are not property" stuff came from, but even if they aren't... I get the same enjoyment out of a good story conveyed via an ebook as I do a good story conveyed via a physical book. So words put together in an entertaining way, have value - sans medium.

I must be the only person who didn't buy an ereader thinking it was going to allow me to read cheaply.

Quote:
I do not buy licenses. I don't even RECOGNIZE licenses. I buy property. Plain and simple.

you should too.
I understand where you're coming from, believe me. I just don't agree. Nor do I care.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 02:43 PM   #78
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I must be the only person who didn't buy an ereader thinking it was going to allow me to read cheaply.
I didn't buy one expecting cheap either, although I do expect not to pay more than the print book in general. One of my biggest things was having a portable library requiring so real space to store it. I've got a couple thousand print books (which I'm working on reducing) and no room for more.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #79
nerys
Addict

"I understand where you're coming from, believe me. I just don't agree. Nor do I care. "

and that is your right. alas I and others will be FORCED to live with the consequences of the actions (or inactions) of people like you against our will.

And EVENTUALLY you also will suffer the consequences of your decisions as the actions of the powerful intrude deeper and deeper until it also effects you and by then it will be too late to effect a change.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:29 PM   #80
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
And EVENTUALLY you also will suffer the consequences of your decisions as the actions of the powerful intrude deeper and deeper until it also effects you and by then it will be too late to effect a change.
I will fully accept the consequences of my inaction.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 06:39 PM   #81
Granvillen
Enthusiast
Granvillen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2i., K3
I buy what I want, when I want and at what price I feel is reasonable. I WILL NOT boycott over a price, that is stupid. Grow up! Maybe you should come up with a way to burn all ebooks over $9.99. That would show them evil writers and publishers.
Granvillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #82
nerys
Addict

sure but I will also have to live with that decision if enough other people feel the same way. For me its not a boycott so much as I simply won't pay that much. what does the ebook at $9.99 give me over the REAL book at $6 and the download at $0 ?
Old 07-07-2010, 08:08 AM   #83
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Noticed Dune was 13.99 on Amazon. I'd like to read it, but I'll never pay that. Ridiculous pricing for a 40 year old book. Its supposedly a 40th anniversary edition, in ebook??
drofgnal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:14 AM   #84
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Noticed Dune was 13.99 on Amazon. I'd like to read it, but I'll never pay that. Ridiculous pricing for a 40 year old book. Its supposedly a 40th anniversary edition, in ebook??
sometimes (note: sometimes) a nudge sent to Amazon gets those prices dropped a bit. kind of an; "oh yeah" sort of deal
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:33 AM   #85
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Yeah, it's pretty crazy. Luckily the Philadelphia Free Library has it so I was able to re-read it that way.

The book has been out in paperback basically forever, with used copies everywhere, and yet since they've released a new Hardcover edition (which mostly only fans will buy I'd guess) Penguin has decided the ebook must cost more than what a paperback would cost (which you could argue would still be too high).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #86
masmullin
masmullin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 Sony
I wont be buying an ebook for more than $10. Im not boycotting, thats simply my price limit.
masmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:37 AM   #87
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***Are a few people on an internet forum really going to make enough of a dent that publishers will notice?***

The journey of a thousand miles, Brian, starts with a single step. There are 50,000+ of us here (all established ebook customers) and -- the internet being viral -- we certainly can make a difference.

Don't think for a moment that the guys in ties aren't keeping tabs on what's being discussed in huge and influential forums like MR. Mind you, I've never been accused of living in the real world. Worth a try, though, eh? Vote with PayPal or any major credit card.

Much as it hurts in the short term, don't buy DRM or overpriced ebooks ... and tell your friends that you'll kill their children (and/or household pets) if they don't follow your lead.

Hoots. Neil
Attached Images

neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:49 PM   #88
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Even $9.99 seems high to me. I paid more than that for a book I needed for reference for a script, but for fun reading, there's just a whole lot of NON-DRMed material out there for less than $9.99...less than $7.99...less than $4.99...less than $1.99!

There's just sooo much out there and so little time, I don't need to boycott, I just need to exercise my day-to-day practice of looking for good books at good prices.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:16 AM   #89
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
As with covers, though, Jan, cover price can be misleading. I'd rather pay twenty bucks for a masterpiece of the writing and story-telling craft than waste ten hours' precious recreational reading time on a free or $0.99 piece of nonsense. Your own Risen, for instance, humbly priced as it was, paid me back every time I turned a page. That, I consider, is value for money. And it would have been at several times the price. Hoots. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #90
DianaB
Voracious Reader
DianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel is

Device: Kindle Voyage
If a book by an author I've never read before is more than $9.99, then I put it in my books wish list on Amazon and wait until it comes out in paperback. If a new book by one of my favorite authors comes out and is $12-$14 (i.e., Costco-hardcover-priced), then I'd buy it.
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote