Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-26-2015, 07:41 PM   #1
jukin
Connoisseur
jukin began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air 2, Kindle Fire HD 10
Found a simple way to transfer books from Calibre on PC to an iPad

I was not able to get my iPad recognized by Calibre using the device plugin. I then went for a WiFi connection, connecting to the Calibre server. This displays the Calibre web page. It's absolutely fine except I could find no way to import more than one book at a time - I have 6000 in Calibre!

I looked around for an alternative and stumbled upon a freeware app called Syncios (there is a pro version also). I installed Syncios on the PC ensuring that iTunes was not running (as advised). It tells you to connect your device (iPad for me). Once it's discovered you have options to import music, videos, pdf files or books. The easiest way I found to import multiple books was to make sure that the books I want to import are in the Calibre library and that Calibre is running. Highlight the books you want, right click and select export to disc. This gives you all your books in one folder! In Syncios, I selected Import and browsed to the book folder I had created, highlighted all my books and clicked OK. All my books = 107 of them, were imported in under 30 seconds.

When you eject the device from Syncios. open iBooks and all your imported books will be there.

Not sure how clear this appears to you (my bad) but it really is so quick and simple - mo need for itunes, no need to use Calibre for other than giving you access to books in your library.

I just wanted to pass this on as it takes all of the pain out of transferring your books to an iOS device.

jukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:04 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@jukin I do similar with JRT Studio's Folder Synch for Android.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2015, 09:03 PM   #3
jukin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@jukin I do similar with JRT Studio's Folder Synch for Android.
Sounds good BetterRed, I'll check that out with my Android tablet.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:06 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukin View Post
I was not able to get my iPad recognized by Calibre using the device plugin. I then went for a WiFi connection, connecting to the Calibre server. This displays the Calibre web page. It's absolutely fine except I could find no way to import more than one book at a time - I have 6000 in Calibre!

I looked around for an alternative and stumbled upon a freeware app called Syncios (there is a pro version also). I installed Syncios on the PC ensuring that iTunes was not running (as advised). It tells you to connect your device (iPad for me). Once it's discovered you have options to import music, videos, pdf files or books. The easiest way I found to import multiple books was to make sure that the books I want to import are in the Calibre library and that Calibre is running. Highlight the books you want, right click and select export to disc. This gives you all your books in one folder! In Syncios, I selected Import and browsed to the book folder I had created, highlighted all my books and clicked OK. All my books = 107 of them, were imported in under 30 seconds.

When you eject the device from Syncios. open iBooks and all your imported books will be there.

Not sure how clear this appears to you (my bad) but it really is so quick and simple - mo need for itunes, no need to use Calibre for other than giving you access to books in your library.

I just wanted to pass this on as it takes all of the pain out of transferring your books to an iOS device.

But what if you do not want to use iBooks (because it's a piece of crap) and you want to use something else such as Marvin? Will Syncios work?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:15 AM   #5
jukin
Connoisseur

Pass. I have no problems with iBooks. Why not download the free version of the app and see what you can do with it?
Advert