Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-23-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
DJ Pooka
DJ Pooka began at the beginning.

Device: PSR 505
Quick question about capacity....

Ok - so I've picked one of these new toys up today, and being the fantastically daft person that I am, got the biggest memory card I could and dumped all my files on there....

And now it's taking an iceage or three to build the database.

Does anyone know what the max number of files this machine can support is? It took so long to try and build the database that it actually went to sleep/powered down before completing the process. Power it back on and the collection is showing as empty still!

I know I've gone for overkill, but then, I'm like that... anyone out there that can shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance, Pooka.
DJ Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
Who are you?
Groupie
Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 505
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30849
That tells you how to get 4000 books working on it, with some effort.

Unless you need a lot of reference books it's probably better to start of with a smaller number.
Who are you? is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Hi DJ Pooka, welcome to MobileRead and congrats to your new toy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Pooka View Post
Does anyone know what the max number of files this machine can support is? It took so long to try and build the database that it actually went to sleep/powered down before completing the process. Power it back on and the collection is showing as empty still!
Yes thats a known issue. It depends how many books are stored on the card and what ebook format(s) are used.
If you use LRF-ebooks it's recommended to use Sonys Software for transfering the ebooks to the reader because they get "pre-paginated" then which can speed up the time needed to build the "database".
I'm using a mix of formats (ePub, LRF, PDF) and don't store more than 800-1000 ebooks on the sd-card. Rebuilding the "database" is done within 5-15 minutes on my PRS-505...

Edit: I don't use Sonys software, i use Calibre.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:20 PM   #4
DJ Pooka

Thank you! Now all I need to do is wait for it to go to sleep, take out the card, delete everything and start again.

You win the internet!
Old 06-23-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
DJ Pooka

Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
Hi DJ Pooka, welcome to MobileRead and congrats to your new toy.

Yes thats a known issue. It depends how many books are stored on the card and what ebook format(s) are used.
If you use LRF-ebooks it's recommended to use Sonys Software for transfering the ebooks to the reader because they get "pre-paginated" then which can speed up the time needed to build the "database".
I'm using a mix of formats (ePub, LRF, PDF) and don't store more than 800-1000 ebooks on the sd-card. Rebuilding the "database" is done within 5-15 minutes on my PRS-505...

Edit: I don't use Sonys software, i use Calibre.
*Nods* I've just installed Calibre to try it out. I'll have to do some fiddling around I guess and try to limit what I put on there this time!
Advert