Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-28-2013, 05:51 AM   #16
rayrex
rayrex began at the beginning.

Device: none
PDFs aren't too bad on the mini. I was just looking at one using PDF Notes and they look pretty good. One of mine I had to zoom a little bit. But it wasn't bad. I went from an iPad 2 to the mini. I also think txt looks fine on this device. I've seen the iPad 3 and yes retina is great and all but it really is not a deal breaker for the mini. The lightness and portability of this device is just awesome. When the get the full size iPad this thin that device will be astounding. I've learned over the weekend I carry the mini around more than the iPad. But maybe cause its new time will tell. So far no complaints. I find games are easier to play on the mini as well.
rayrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #17
karenmarrow01
karenmarrow01 began at the beginning.

Device: karenmarrow01
have any other app for pdf?
karenmarrow01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2013, 01:49 AM   #18
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I'd suggest giving "Documents by Readdle" a try - not only is it both a pdf viewer but also besides displaying documents, it can store files copied via USB or Wi-Fi, connect to various network storage systems and save pages from the web. Amazingly, it's free!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #19
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
Documents is decent. It's what I use now though there are a few features from other apps I like. Good is its iCloud support, lets you quickly sync files with other devices and a Mac. Much quicker than Dropbox which must sync the entire file.

Papers is good. It's specifically made for journals, with metadata for author, journal, and issue. Has a Windows and Mac version that lets you sync highlights too.
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #20
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Lightbulb

On the iPad, I use both GoodReader and PDF Expert.

At first, I thought PDF Expert would be better than GoodReader, but I have now changed my mind and prefer GoodReader. I can't find the option to use iCloud syncing in PDF Expert -- anyone know how to do this? (Note: PDF Expert is the "advanced" counterpart to the free Documents by Readdle, discussed above.)

PDF Expert seems to be displaying PDF files quicker than GoodReader, but GoodReader's iCloud syncing seems much preferable to me. Also, the access to freehand annotation tools is easier in GoodReader than in PDF Expert.

An irritating thing about PDF Expert on the iPad is, there's no option to switch off the display of iOS's status line (with time/battery status). I love how GoodReader completely switches off the display of everything except the current page of the PDF file that you're viewing. That's how it should be.

However, possibly the biggest reason why I still prefer GoodReader over PDF Expert, is that PDF Expert for the iPhone is a complete disaster. It offers something like 30% of the functionality of the iPad version, and is completely unusable for me on the iPhone. Which is all the more outrageous, because the iPhone version of PDF Expert is priced the same as the iPad version, despite offering much, much less in terms of functionality. So, you pay double, and end up getting very little on the iPhone. I complained to Readdle customer support, and I hope they will improve the situation in future.

In contrast, GoodReader for iPhone is just as fabulous as GoodReader for iPad, which is why I think GoodReader is the no. 1 PDF app on iOS.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #21
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Documents is really the best free app that you can get on iOS...
If you're looking for the full feature set, try PDF Expert by the same developer... I use it because it allows multiple open documents in tabs (and it also has freehand drawing and form signing etc)...

In reply to Faterson's post: iCloud sync is not enabled in Goodreader anymore for new users (you're lucky because you had previously used it), and no longer supported by the developer because they had serious problems and dozens of complaints from people losing documents. The main reason is (and I found that hugely annoying) that documents not used for longer periods are being deleted automatically and have ro be redownloaded. May be fine for stuff that you read in one sitting but is hugely annoying for books, especially larger files...

Last edited by johnnyb; 03-11-2013 at 05:20 PM.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad mini, pdf