Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-07-2011, 08:05 AM   #31
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicDee View Post
Thus it wouldn't surprise me to find that if you don't adjust the brightness of your LCD backlight for bed time reading, the device will actually keep you stimulated and awake. Personally, I prefer the LCD screen on my iPad in low light. My only complaints with the iPad are its weight (which make it hard to read in bed while holding it with one hand) and the lack of visibility in bright environments (such as sitting outdoors on a sunny day).

I'm looking for an eInk reader to cater for those two situations specifically - not because eInk is "better" than LCD, but because its the strengths of eInk are complementary to the weaknesses of LCD.
You mention one of the two reasons I wanted an e-ink device: readability in well-lightened areas. Weight I don't are about in bed, I just prop it up against one of the stuffed animals (or real one...) in bed. The other reason is longer battery life. I tried a clip-on light, but find it makes my reader even heavier and worse, top heavy. And I never manage to get the light just so that all the screen is lighted without one extreme bright spot...

I do have my LCD reader turned all the way down and a black background with gray letters. Even in a very dark room, it won't even light the environment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I'm sure when amazon comes out with their own tablet, this line of "research" will quietly disappears
Hmm, good point!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #32
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
Amazon has listed "technical reasons" as to why eink is easier on the eyes than LCD. Here are the reasons.

<snip>

I know that eink vs lcd threads have been done before, but I want to address what is specifically listed on the Kindle page at amazon.
These are the same reasons why during long term usage of a computer, it is recommended to take a break every hour or so, even with LCD screens.

As for the reverse contrast of dark background with light lettering, that actually causes massively more trouble for the eyes in dark situations since even the black is still "lighted" and can cause ghosting when used for longer periods.

All of this is a non issue with eink.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert