Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-24-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
Freeze when moving from sleep to powerdown

I'm using firmware 1.4 and have noticed that sometimes when I put the Kobo in sleep mode (finished reading and hit the power button and it brings up the cover of the book) that the machine will freeze instead of going to the powerdown (the little busy icon in the upper right hand corner is frozen in place). I can restart using a paperclip but the power is draining (I've had the battery drain completely when this happened.)

This happening to anyone else/ is there a fix for this?
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:42 AM   #2
thewrinklyninja
thewrinklyninja began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Yup, I can confirm I too am having this error on 1.4. Freezes with the book cover showing and drains the battery, happened three times now.
thewrinklyninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 07:18 AM   #3
cnslcwby
cnslcwby began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Reader
We've seen this issue on my girlfriend's kobo as well. I reinstalled the 1.4 update and wiped the database last night in an attempt to fix it. I'll post back again if it fixes the problem.
cnslcwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
cnslcwby
cnslcwby began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Reader
I don't know if the firmware re-flash and the database wipe fixed this issue or not, because her kobo still doesn't hold a charge. (Charged it the day before yesterday and it was dead last night after less than 100 page turns). So that one is going back to Kobo for a replacement.
cnslcwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:35 PM   #5
brownieboy
brownieboy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (original)
Has anybody got to the bottom of this one? Did a firmware re-flash fix it for anyone?

It's a real pain. I'm constantly picking up my Kobo to find out that the battery has drained when I've not actually been using it.

Would a replacement even fix the problem if it's related to the firmware? I'm really thinking of taking my Kobo back for a refund unless this is fixed soon.
brownieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 12:58 AM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I would exchange it for a new one. This seems to be a fairly rare occurrence and it is unlikely that your replacement machine would have the same defect.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:38 AM   #7
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I have had an interesting experience three times now where I have attempted to turn off my kobo but I have put it into sleep mode instead of shutting it off. As it is supposed to turn itself off after 15 minutes I have just left it rather than muck around trying to turn it off.
However the next day when I return to read my Kobo has still been "sleeping" with the cover art showing rather than in shutdown mode. Twice it has started immediately but once it still took the 45 seconds to restart. I haven't noticed any drainage on my battery.
If I leave the Kobo and it goes into sleep by itself it always shuts down. I read most days and always turn my Kobo off when I finish and this has only happened 3 times. It always restarts (so far!!) and the battery seems fine.

At first I assumed that someone else had been reading and that was why it was sleeping but this last time I was the only person home.

Anyone else ever had this?
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:52 AM   #8
brownieboy

I filled out the form on Borders/Kobo support site and got a form response asking me to deal with the store where I bought it.

I called the store, described the problem to them and they asked me to bring it so they could "look at it". I delved further into exactly what they would do, and they said that they have "special reset", which can cure all ills, apparently. This isn't the paper-clip; I'd already explained to them that I do that myself on a regular basis.

I asked if I could do this "special reset" procedure myself, and nothing doing. Only the store can do it, they say, and won't exchange for a new unit until they've done it. I explained that it might take a day or two to know if it's worked. Too bad. I'll just have to bring it back a second time in that case.

Am I getting the run-around here or is there really a store-only "special reset"?
Old 09-06-2010, 04:02 AM   #9
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

My best guess is that they will reflash the device.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:27 AM   #10
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
It would more than likely be an SD card update.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:55 AM   #11
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
It would more than likely be an SD card update.
Yep, golden SD card, as it proved zillion times.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:16 AM   #12
brownieboy

Thanks, guys, but I don't think I can be bothered with all that.

The store staff would likely notice that the pre-supplied books are missing, and I'd probably have to explain how I'd deleted them with Calibre. That's right; I didn't use their godawful supplied desktop software, so I think that would make the whole thing my own fault in their eyes.

My quick and dirty workaround is to avoid sleep mode all together. If I hold down the power button for about 5 seconds, the Kobo goes straight to "Powered Off", so the problem can't happen. It's a bit of an inconvenience, but not as much has having a flat battery!
Old 09-09-2010, 04:09 AM   #13
zoran
himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownieboy View Post
The store staff would likely notice that the pre-supplied books are missing, and I'd probably have to explain how I'd deleted them with Calibre. That's right; I didn't use their godawful supplied desktop software, so I think that would make the whole thing my own fault in their eyes.

My quick and dirty workaround is to avoid sleep mode all together. If I hold down the power button for about 5 seconds, the Kobo goes straight to "Powered Off", so the problem can't happen. It's a bit of an inconvenience, but not as much has having a flat battery!
He-he! You forgot that human kind tends to be lazy. Why check your
device status at all? They will simply put SD card in it and reinstall. In
my eyes you bought the reader and have right to do whatever you want.
Where it reads that doing something on it breaks your licence? There is
no licence you signed.
Another option is to set your personal SD card and try yourself.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:48 PM   #14
jsd
jsd began at the beginning.

Device: palm
I bought my Kobo online in Canada from Chapters/Indigo on September 19,2010 and it did EXACTLY what this poster describes, froze after going into sleep mode for a while instead of shutting down. I had to do a pin reset and start again. I returned it to Chapters in Nanaimo, B.C. on September 28 and they replaced it. Today, Sept.29 the new one has done exactly the same thing. These have just recently gone on sale. Both Chapters/Indigo and Kobo must know by now this is happening and yet they are still trying to flog the units. They should fess up and replace the software immediately. The device has plenty going for it, IF IT WORKS!!
jsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:07 PM   #15
jsd
jsd began at the beginning.

Device: palm
I did a pin reset on Sept 29 and the kobo has worked perfectly since. I have changed how I use it though. I am very careful to wait about 20 seconds or more between any button presses involving sleep mode or on/off. For menus and selection I just press at the speed necessary for a response. I'm thinking that for sleep or on/off the thing needs extra time even after the display has changed. Try this anyway. The price and pleasant hardware might make it worthwhile to just be patient with the buttons.
Cheers
jsd is offline   Reply With Quote