Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 02:37 PM   #91
malligator
Enthusiast
malligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
danachee,
Thanks so much. I was going by the post I responded to, which said, "They should've at least included an alt key for the top row of the keyboard or something." Now that I actually looked carefully at the picture (I had looked at the engadget video which only showed a magnified view of the right-side keys), I see the Alt key.

And thanks for clueing me in to the manual on Amazon. I guess I never scrolled down that far. Yes, mine was a head-smacker of a dumb, useless post, but I'm very grateful for your help. Will now place my order.

I've also heard that, unlike the current software, when you bring up the SYM menu it stays open until you close it so you can choose multiple numbers or symbols without having to hit the SYM key each time.
malligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:40 PM   #92
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Webkit is the basis (rendering engine) for Google Chrome and Apple's Safari browser.
In otherwords, BUGS! I've seen bugs in the Safari using on the iPad.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 03:34 PM   #93
ChaoZ
Connoisseur
ChaoZ doesn't litterChaoZ doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
danachee,
Thanks so much. I was going by the post I responded to, which said, "They should've at least included an alt key for the top row of the keyboard or something." Now that I actually looked carefully at the picture (I had looked at the engadget video which only showed a magnified view of the right-side keys), I see the Alt key.

And thanks for clueing me in to the manual on Amazon. I guess I never scrolled down that far. Yes, mine was a head-smacker of a dumb, useless post, but I'm very grateful for your help. Will now place my order.
My fault, I guess I should've RTFM
ChaoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:12 PM   #94
Kurt
Connoisseur
Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Nook HD+, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
i don't think i understand the delirium

fairly new to ebooks which may be the problem but the e-ink readers i've viewed seemed slightly blurry as the "print' wasn't really black

also the books are more expensive - haven't paid more than $6 for anything and that was for a 3 book collection and had no DRM - everything else was less than $5 (all DRM free)

and from what i understand the kindle is pretty limited as far as magazines and newspapers (and more expensive subs)

is this kinda like Apple fanbois/goils
Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:31 PM   #95
BobLenx
Connoisseur
BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony505 K2 K3
The new K3 Users Guide is now available on Amazon in AZW or PDF format:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200317150

The manual appears to answer most of the questions I have been seeing in threads on the K3.
BobLenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 11:23 PM   #96
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
also the books are more expensive - haven't paid more than $6 for anything and that was for a 3 book collection and had no DRM - everything else was less than $5 (all DRM free)
Not likely for the same books that you're saying are more expensive though I wouldn't think.

If you can get what you want to read DRM free and cheap that's great, I love Webscription and some of the small pubs myself, but if you want to read anything from one of the big publishers it's going to have DRM and it's going to be priced basically the same no matter what reader you have or where you buy. The Kindle does however have the biggest selection out there (B&N might be close?).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:33 PM   #97
Kurt
Connoisseur
Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Nook HD+, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
again, responding as a noob in this arena
it really "feels" like the big publishers are going bye-bye relatively soon

although hopefully, there will still be lots of work for freelance editors - authors do need a bit of help
Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:38 PM   #98
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
again, responding as a noob in this arena
it really "feels" like the big publishers are going bye-bye relatively soon
To at least some extent I thin you're right they'll either start to die or evolve.

Quote:
although hopefully, there will still be lots of work for freelance editors - authors do need a bit of help
Absolutely.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:23 AM   #99
jetfin
Enthusiast
jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura One, KPW, K3, K2i, K2US
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Manual states on page 39:
Thank's for pointing out that the manual is available!

On page 141 the user guide describes the "turn wireless off" menu function:

Quote:
Turn Wireless Off— turns off Whispernet wireless service. When Whispernet is off, this option will change to Turn Wireless On. For Kindle models that include both 3G and Wi-Fi, turning wireless off disables 3G and Wi-Fi connectivity.
So, it seems to me that in HW terms the wifi and 3g are probably on the same mini pci-e card... -in any case my idea of turning power off to wifi only or 3g only is not possible.
jetfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:00 PM   #100
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfin View Post
So, it seems to me that in HW terms the wifi and 3g are probably on the same mini pci-e card... -in any case my idea of turning power off to wifi only or 3g only is not possible.
The more I think about it, the more it seems that Amazon is trying to force the device to use WiFi when a connection is available in order to save on 3G costs. The more 3G we all use, the greater the bill Amazon has to pay. I'm really surprised they did not do away with 3G web browsing, other than to Amazon.com, a long time ago. From a business stand point that would make a lot of sense. But if they can force the devices to use WiFi when it is available, they will save on 3G costs. I would sure hate to see book prices or Kindle prices go up because Amazon's 3G bill goes through the roof. So I think their WiFi strategy is a good one. I also think WiFi will be many times faster than 3G, at least from my experience with AT&T 3G in my area.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:27 PM   #101
ChaoZ
Connoisseur
ChaoZ doesn't litterChaoZ doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The more I think about it, the more it seems that Amazon is trying to force the device to use WiFi when a connection is available in order to save on 3G costs. The more 3G we all use, the greater the bill Amazon has to pay. I'm really surprised they did not do away with 3G web browsing, other than to Amazon.com, a long time ago. From a business stand point that would make a lot of sense. But if they can force the devices to use WiFi when it is available, they will save on 3G costs. I would sure hate to see book prices or Kindle prices go up because Amazon's 3G bill goes through the roof. So I think their WiFi strategy is a good one. I also think WiFi will be many times faster than 3G, at least from my experience with AT&T 3G in my area.
I think it's a good policy (use wifi where available), however, the confusing wording on the website for international users makes me think they are killing 3G web browsing completely, replacing it with Wifi.

I'm not going to be doing heavy-duty surfing on a Kindle, but I would like to have it in an emergency. In fact, I wouldn't mind them charging for 3G use outside of Kindle Store and Wikipedia, as long as it's per use and the rates are kept low. Of course, if I was paying for it, I'd expect higher speeds.
ChaoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:21 PM   #102
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The fact that there are no numbers on the K3 keyboard is a deal-breaker. Accessing them from the alt menu would be a pain. I'll stick with my K2.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:40 PM   #103
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The fact that there are no numbers on the K3 keyboard is a deal-breaker. Accessing them from the alt menu would be a pain. I'll stick with my K2.
I think you type numbers on the K3 with alt + one of the top letters.

Last edited by carld; 07-31-2010 at 11:32 PM. Reason: typo
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:42 PM   #104
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I think you type numbers on the K3 with alt+ one of top letters.
I hope you're right. I wonder if there's a user manual somewhere online for the K3?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:55 PM   #105
Bratzzo
Addict
Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I hope you're right. I wonder if there's a user manual somewhere online for the K3?
here it is:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...0627414&sr=1-1

To select numbers you have to press the Symbol Key (Sym) and select it with the 5-way (page 15/16 and 27/28 at the manual)

[EDIT]

And Alt-key is also possible (page 144):

Quote:
7.3 Kindle Shortcuts
Global Shortcuts
While typing, you can use the top row of the keyboard to enter numbers. From left to
right, starting with Q, the letters in the top row of the keyboard represent the numbers
1 through 9. The letter P represents the number 0. To enter a number: Press and hold
Alt and press a letter in the top row of the keyboard. For example, Alt + Q types
the number 1, and Alt + U types the number 7.
When typing, delete all the characters you typed: Alt + Del .
[/EDIT]

Bratzzo

Last edited by Bratzzo; 07-31-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Bratzzo is offline   Reply With Quote