Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-24-2010, 04:25 PM   #16
readingzombie
readingzombie began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you all for your continued advice regarding the Kindle. I have decided on a reader! Drum roll, please.... Kindle 2! ;D I'll let you all know when I get it. In the meantime I'll be checking out the threads here on MR to get ready for its arrival.

Last edited by readingzombie; 01-24-2010 at 09:07 PM. Reason: spelling correction
readingzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:52 PM   #17
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Late to the party, I know, since you've already decided to buy a Kindle 2. (Congrats, btw, on a great choice!) Nonetheless, another 2¢ here ... without the 15¢ Whispernet delivery surcharge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by readingzombie View Post
* Privacy. Can Amazon really see what personal content I have on my reader at all times? If I have de-DRM'd content on there, can they see it? Can they remove it?
I am going to go out on a limb and say, no, they can't see the content on your Kindle. They can see the file names, dates and sizes-- it's part of the sync process that allows you read from the same spot, and share the same bookmarks, on multiple devices (like your Kindle and your Kindle for PC). If they haven't attached a specific file to your account, it will be gibberish to them and ignored. So -- privacy is a non-issue.

Quote:
* The screen.
The reports of e-ink screen breakage are relatively few. Already 50-something, I have never lost my wallet or house-keys and I'v yet to drop anything inadvertently off the balcony. Treated with respect, like any portable electronic device, and it will be fine. I bought the officially sanctioned Amazon leather (it's real leather -- smell it! LOL) case with the Kindle 2 and that works very well for me. It's enough of a cushion for casual "ooopsies" to protect it. YMMV.

Quote:
* The size. How big is the Kindle compared to say my old Palm T/X or the Sony Readers? I want something smaller than my netbook because I'm tired of lugging it around ...
I has an ASUS netbook -- at around 2.5 pounds, closed and in its case, has a slightly larger footprint than the Kindle 2 in its case. Except the Asus would be horrible to read on for long-periods (it's terrific at what it does -- portable computing over wifi). And the Kindle 2 weighs 10 oz. It's a comfortable weight to hold and, in the case, has the same "feel" as a trade paperback without the tendency to close up.

I have yet to put it in a purse (I'd have to get a purse first. ) I carry it in my right hand, or slip it into my carry on when flying. Really, just bit the bullet and get the sturdy Amazon case.

Quote:
* I really want a device that just reads eBooks ...
Zing! Give that reader a gold star! Honest to bejezzus, the folks running around on websites and TV heralding the coming of the Apple Tablet -- that would be this coming Tuesday for those keeping score -- give me a royal pain. You hit the nail on the head: the Kindle 2 is an e-reader, stoopid, and it's really good at that. Yes, my Asus network and my Blackberry cell-phone can take pictures ... but I have a dedicated digital camera for holiday snaps. Same with reading: there is a place in my world for a dedicated reader and Kindle 2 delivers that functionality very well as it is.

Quote:
* If I shop at Fictionwise, or BoB, do I have to pay a fee to get the book onto my Kindle via the "whispernet?"
I live in Canada. All Amazon titles (including the "free" ones) cost $2 more than for you. Life is not fair, I suppose, but there it is. So, paying 15¢ per transmission to get something directly to the Kindle doesn't faze me and would not stop me from using the service.

More to the point is I can't find anything on Fictionwise Kindle store I want to buy and can't figure out the pay rebate system. It doesn't seem to apply Kindle titles. If someone wants to explain it to me offline, I'd be grateful.

Quote:
What is the one thing you love most about your Kindle that you can't live without? What is the one thing you wish your Kindle had/did that it doesn't?
I really like the Wikipedia option -- and that works outside the US free (I tried it in Mexico before I tried it in Canada).

I wish it allowed non-US accounts to save the $2 delivery wireless charge and accept delivery exclusively to the PC account.

And, while it's been announced, some sort of tagging / directory system is woefully needed unless, like me at the moment, you are content to load up the Kindle with a few dozen titles and leave the rest "on the mother ship PC".

Hope this helps!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #18
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Congratulations! Please let us know how you like it. And please check out Calibre - it is a wonderful adjunct to kindle, and it is easier to use it from the beginning, versus adding all your books to it later.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:12 PM   #19
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Yep, start building that Kindle library! And congratulations on your Kindle purchase! You're going to love it.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:33 AM   #20
simonp
simonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
"What is the one thing you love most about your Kindle that you can't live without?"

The ability to turn the screen into landscape mode (this functionality was added to the Kindle 2 in Canada in a recent patch). I mostly read fiction, but every once in a while I read some poetry on it (reading Paradise Lost now). On the normal portrait mode, stanzas are broken mid-line. With the landscape mode, you get complete unbroken lines.

Close second is the onboard dictionary. Not as good as the battered Oxford English Concise I have sitting around, but so handy.

"What is the one thing you wish your Kindle had/did that it doesn't?"

Only criticism I have now is the speed with which the file manager displays your library. Flipping pages in a book is fine, but it does take a few seconds more to read and display a page of the file-listing. Not sure if this is a cpu or an e-ink/display issue. Still it is relatively minor, and nitpicking really.
simonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #21
ConnieL429
ConnieL429 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonp View Post
"What is the one thing you love most about your Kindle that you can't live without?"

The ability to turn the screen into landscape mode (this functionality was added to the Kindle 2 in Canada in a recent patch). I mostly read fiction, but every once in a while I read some poetry on it (reading Paradise Lost now). On the normal portrait mode, stanzas are broken mid-line. With the landscape mode, you get complete unbroken lines.

Close second is the onboard dictionary. Not as good as the battered Oxford English Concise I have sitting around, but so handy.

"What is the one thing you wish your Kindle had/did that it doesn't?"

Only criticism I have now is the speed with which the file manager displays your library. Flipping pages in a book is fine, but it does take a few seconds more to read and display a page of the file-listing. Not sure if this is a cpu or an e-ink/display issue. Still it is relatively minor, and nitpicking really.
I could NOT live without Whispernet. I love having my stuff there instantly and my paper when I wake up. The only other thing I really must insist on is a better (or perhaps I should say "A" way) to organize content. Folders/Assignable Categories/Filters? SOMETHING. Other than that, I love it.
ConnieL429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:18 PM   #22
readingzombie
readingzombie began at the beginning.

A quick update: I've had my Kindle2 for about a month and a half and I love it. Now if only the publishers would stop ticking me off with their pricing demands I would be a totally happy reader.
Thanks again for all of your replies. Your insight was invaluable as I made my ereader decision.
readingzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #23
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
Quote:
A quick update: I've had my Kindle2 for about a month and a half and I love it. Now if only the publishers would stop ticking me off with their pricing demands I would be a totally happy reader.
Thanks again for all of your replies. Your insight was invaluable as I made my ereader decision.
Awesome, yea the publishers are really muddling the waters.
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote