Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-07-2009, 11:48 AM   #16
ssimon2000
ssimon2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 700
I've got a library of just under 5000 books. Load is slow, but I'd imagine that's more because I have the calibre database on an external HD. Actual operation is fine, even loading new books.
ssimon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:56 AM   #17
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssimon2000 View Post
I've got a library of just under 5000 books. Load is slow, but I'd imagine that's more because I have the calibre database on an external HD. Actual operation is fine, even loading new books.
I too have Calibre database located on an external HD just so I don't have to keep moving books over to that drive everytime I load a new one. I have about 1000 or so books in the library, I notice that when Calibre starts and my Kindle is connected it drags somewhat as it loads the database, but not anything to dramatic in terms of timing. A few seconds more than when I only had 300 or so books on. Like ssimon2000, actual operation is fine, loading new books is quick.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2009, 12:10 PM   #18
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
What? 5000? 7200? jeeze what is that the library of congress?

I'm just a nobody nothing with my measly 50 books.....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #19
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Some of my 'books' are things like recipes and documents for work...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:50 AM   #20
Beldus
Beldus began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
You don't mention what OS you are on.
If you have a Mac and (still) run it in Rosetta mode then it will be very sluggish.

Other then that the only thing I find a bit slow is the coverflow.
Beldus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 10:13 AM   #21
ssimon2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
What? 5000? 7200? jeeze what is that the library of congress?

I'm just a nobody nothing with my measly 50 books.....

I've got a lot of sermons (Charles Spurgeon, etc) and early sci-fi/pulp short stories.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #22
ssimon2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldus View Post
You don't mention what OS you are on.
If you have a Mac and (still) run it in Rosetta mode then it will be very sluggish.

Other then that the only thing I find a bit slow is the coverflow.
I'm on Vista with a 2.9GHz processor.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:25 AM   #23
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssimon2000 View Post

I've got a lot of sermons (Charles Spurgeon, etc) and early sci-fi/pulp short stories.

Gotcha. I keep searching for various short story collections but there don't seem to be a lot available but also have a few individual short stories on mine.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #24
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Well, the Baen Free Library all by itself is well over 1GB of books if I remember correctly, and might even be over two or three... And I've been reading on mobile devices since the original Palm DOC program, so that's a lot of files...

I run Calibre on multiple machines, a Core2Duo WinXP, a Core2Duo Macbook and an AMD Athlon Vista machine. I haven't tried a Linux version yet (tried to build it, but man oh man it has a lot of dependencies).

I find Calibre slow on all the machines that I've tried. Maybe my expectations for user responsiveness are too high, but I tend to think that even if the underlying operations take a long time, the UI should still be snappy because it really doesn't do all that much.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:31 AM   #25
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
I have 13,000+ books with no performance problems even when running several other heavyweight apps at the same time. Search takes under 2 seconds, adding 10 books less than 5 seconds, converting book formats can take 5 or 6 seconds per book.

Part of the performance answer may lie in system specs. I have a Phenom quad core, 8 Gb ram and 4 Tb hard disks running Xubuntu jaunty.
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:05 PM   #26
LessPaul
Connoisseur
LessPaul doesn't litterLessPaul doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021 / PC / iPad
While pondering the "snappyness" issue, it occurs to me that the overhead is most likley the manipulation of the actual files and embedded metadata, rather than the database itself.

Which makes me wonder if perhaps an option to queue updates to the files until idle / scheduled time / commit command might make sense.
LessPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:02 PM   #27
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
It's the 'loader' app that sucks cpu cycles. Processing news, converting. Database itself is not heavy, I think.

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:34 PM   #28
lcbannon
Enthusiast
lcbannon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Runs fine on my system but I am still collecting. On a side note here is a site with lots of short stories..

http://yuletidetreasure.org/archive/quicksearch.html
lcbannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:14 AM   #29
Ralob
Connoisseur
Ralob began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2, PW4
982 books with a start-up time of about 10 seconds with about 5 seconds per book added on a WinXP 2.0ghz dual core cpu and 2gm ram laptop.
Ralob is offline   Reply With Quote