Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-07-2009, 11:28 AM   #16
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I have tried OI and it has not proven to be that good for what I read and the files that I create myself.
Have you reported those difficulties in the OI ticket system?
Quote:
I have a lot of PDFs that I read that can not be converted due to content controls and I also create my own PDFs from word documents and by converting web page information to word then to PDFs that are formated to fit the display of the Ezreader.

Chuck
In that case, you are going to have to get used to occasional crashes and reboots. There seems to be some defect in the Linux kernel that Jinke uses, because all the Jinke derived devices have been having occasional crashes for over a year now. Jinke has never acknowledged the problem and they certainly have done nothing to correct it in any of the firmware images that I have tried. You may be right about it being a buffer overflow problem, but I am thinking the exception handler is not all that robust either. I have had all my Jinke crashes reading FB2 books.

Be that as it may, I have a Pocket Pro on pre-order, and will just wait for the OpenInkpot project to catch up.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:42 AM   #17
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I just loaded the latest OI firmware for a test run. I will say that it is looking great. But it seems very slow to me. And that may be due to the fact that most of my ebooks and files that I read are well ove a meg in size and I have a few that are as much as 20 megs.

Chuck
cvkemp is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #18
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
I noticed on OIP website that a version for the PEZ has not yet started. Does anyone know when it will begin? Do they need a device in-hand before they can start?
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #19
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I just loaded the latest OI firmware for a test run. I will say that it is looking great. But it seems very slow to me. And that may be due to the fact that most of my ebooks and files that I read are well ove a meg in size and I have a few that are as much as 20 megs.
FBReader reads the entire ebook into memory before it starts. So very large ebooks may not work at all, and will be slow to load. They should not be slow once they are read in though (they are in memory). I'm not sure if CoolReader works differently or not. It is available via a long press of the number key when selecting the file (if CoolReader supports that ebook format).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:10 PM   #20
cingkrab
cingkrab began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZReader Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
I noticed on OIP website that a version for the PEZ has not yet started. Does anyone know when it will begin? Do they need a device in-hand before they can start?
They've been talking about OIP with V5 here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55524

Sounds like it won't be too soon though.
cingkrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2009, 01:35 PM   #21
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I figured that it would be some time before OIP supported the new 5" device. Even though it may be some time before a new log is thrown on the fire, it's heartening to see that progress is not halting on the current devices.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #22
cingkrab

Quote:
I figured that it would be some time before OIP supported the new 5" device. Even though it may be some time before a new log is thrown on the fire, it's heartening to see that progress is not halting on the current devices.
Looking on the roadmap (http://openinkpot.org/roadmap), 0.2 seems to be nearly complete with only 19 open tickets remaining. Version 0.3 has a feature freeze except for the support of new devices, so there is hope that V5 support could sneak into the next major version of OIP. Perhaps someone involved with the project could add the request as a ticket.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #23
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

With the changes of a totally new Epson controller and the addition of a toggle switch, and TTS support, it might be some time before they will have a beta version once they do start. I'm not really expecting anything for at least 6 months.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:50 PM   #24
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
With the changes of a totally new Epson controller and the addition of a toggle switch, and TTS support, it might be some time before they will have a beta version once they do start. I'm not really expecting anything for at least 6 months.
TTS is not a requirement and is not likely to be in the initial release from OI. The toggle switch is easy but the controller may be a bit tricky. Even the current Hanlin 3 version is not yet in Beta. I suspect the 5 will be there at the same level as the 3 in a few months, maybe 1 or 2. They are pretty good on the OI team.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #25
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

As much as I would love OIP for the v5, I'd hate to think that slow down the support on the v3 for all of the users who have been waiting and longing for more updates. That's why I would be more than willing to wait several months before seeing any v5 support.

But if it's out sooner, I will not complain
Old 09-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #26
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
As much as I would love OIP for the v5, I'd hate to think that slow down the support on the v3 for all of the users who have been waiting and longing for more updates. That's why I would be more than willing to wait several months before seeing any v5 support.

But if it's out sooner, I will not complain
Generally the two devices are very similar although the v5 has much more firmware memory available so if someone decides to attack the controller issue and get the v5 to the point of the v3 then they will both move forward with the same source code so it may not slow down the current effort at all depending on who decides to attack the new controller. Of course this will mean the same features on both devices. To do custom stuff for the V5 might well impact the V3.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #27
cingkrab

According to the MobileRead wiki, the Kindle 2 as well as the PRS-600 and PRS-700 use the Epson controller, so the odds are good that support for this controller is on their to-do list somewhere if any new devices are to be supported.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:00 PM   #28
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
I hope someone with a Jenke book reader would tell me:

1. When the readers crash, how long does it take to restart the reader?

2. Do you have to hit the "reset" button, or just a start-up?

3. When it restarts, does it come back up in the book you were reading and the place you were reading, or do you have to start over?

This does sound like a nuisance doesn't it.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:15 PM   #29
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
3. When it restarts, does it come back up in the book you were reading and the place you were reading, or do you have to start over?
(
If it doesn't, that may be a deal killer for me, if these crashes happen fairly often.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:21 PM   #30
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Normally the reader reboots and goes to the bookshelf. The issue I had was that it rebooted and went to the bookshelf and did not remember where I was at in the book I was reading.

Chuck
cvkemp is online now   Reply With Quote