Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-17-2016, 12:56 PM   #1
Bobbe
Enthusiast
Bobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: sony prs 300
Question Password on Kobo ereader

Hello,

I changed the password to the kobo bookstore website. I'm logged in to my e-reader with my old password, of course. When do I need to change the password on the reader? Is that only on a new login? Or does the ereader store the old password or something? Thank you.
Bobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:11 PM   #2
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
You wont need to change the password for your device, it'll just know. Should you have to deregister/erase your device then you'll need to use the new password as the old one will no longer work. There's no reason to do this unless other factors are at play.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2016, 06:45 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbe View Post
I changed the password to the kobo bookstore website. I'm logged in to my e-reader with my old password, of course. When do I need to change the password on the reader? Is that only on a new login? Or does the ereader store the old password or something? Thank you.
When you set up the device, a key of some sort is generated and stored. This is used for authentication whenever the device connects to the Kobo store. The key doesn't get invalidated when you change the password. That's great because you don't have to change anything on the device. But, if the device was stolen, there is no way to stop the device from accessing your books. That also means they can buy more books if you have stored your credit card with Kobo.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:05 AM   #4
Bobbe
Enthusiast
Bobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: sony prs 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
When you set up the device, a key of some sort is generated and stored. This is used for authentication whenever the device connects to the Kobo store. The key doesn't get invalidated when you change the password. That's great because you don't have to change anything on the device. But, if the device was stolen, there is no way to stop the device from accessing your books. That also means they can buy more books if you have stored your credit card with Kobo.
Thank you, this is very useful information. Kobo should make a "help, my kobo is lost/stolen" button on their website, so that you could factory reset it through their website. I would also like a security code so that I could lock the device when it's sleeping. But not using a credit card for buying books works great in the mean time.. 😉
Bobbe is offline   Reply With Quote