Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Which is your dominant hand, when using your reader?
I hold my reader in my left hand and operate it with my right hand 27 25.96%
I hold my reader in my right hand and operate it with my left hand 6 5.77%
I use both hands independently; I am ambidextrous 32 30.77%
I hold my reader between my feet and use my nose to operate it 1 0.96%
I use my right hand both to hold and operate my reader 19 18.27%
I use my left hand both to hold and operate my reader 19 18.27%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #31
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I picked "I use my left hand both to hold and operate my reader". I'm right handed. I do switch back and forth (for reading), but use the left hand ~65% of the time.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #32
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I vary it up but I seem to have a preference for holding it in my left hand and operating the left hand button.

I am right-handed.

I often read while eating so I use my right hand to eat and my left hand to read.

Sometimes I hold it in both hands and switch off which hand I use to press the button. It depends what position I'm in, where I am (I like to hold with both hands on the bus so I don't accidentally drop it), and what else I am doing.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #33
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
If I'm using the Sony reader, I operate it with whatever hand I am holding it. Sometimes I hold it with my right hand, sometimes with my left. The majority of the time, though, I'm holding it in my left hand.

My Aluratek I usually hold and operate with my left hand.

My Pandigital is usually held in both hands and I use either hand to turn the pages.

I am right-handed but left-eye dominant.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #34
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
I hold my eReading devices in both hands and operate the little buttons with whatever hand seems like it wants attention at the time. However, when I do manage to hold the entire hulking 8 oz or 5 oz machine in a single hand I still behave strangely and advance the pages whimsically, with either hand and very little reason for the decision.

Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:09 AM   #35
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
I don't think being ambidextrous would matter since there's no real dexterity involved.
That's sinister!
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 07:04 AM   #36
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

i only use my right hand when absolutely necessary. And when I do hold a reader, any reader I own, in my right hand it's usually less than a minute before it becomes painful and I must switch back to my left. I pretty much prefer a device I can operate exclusively left handed.

When I get a larger reader I do expect to use both hands unless it is a non-glass substrate display. Oh, and I am VERY right handed save for reading and, of course, catching a baseball.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:05 PM   #37
alyxie
Enthusiast
alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: none
I'm ambidextrous (should have been a lefty but Catholic schools tend to slap that out of you with a ruler). I switch hands when I switch sides reading. I frequently read in bed, lying down and I tend to use whichever hand feels right at the moment. I sometimes get in the funniest positions when I read lying down.
alyxie is offline   Reply With Quote