Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-08-2010, 05:21 AM   #16
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Fan Fiction is a hugly popular pastime and the fact the authors can easily convert their work into PDF's for others to download and enjoy while still partially protecting their own copyright is what makes it the number one format in Fan Fiction.

It wasn't an issue with the Sony readers, but with the Kindle we have to convert them in Calibre first. If it wasn't for Calibre i would still have a Sony reader, Calibre was the only application that made me switching to a Kindle possible.

Giving the Kindle PDF reflow is quite a big deal for me and other Fan Fiction readers. It may be the format most people hate but it is a very important format.

If you don't know (and want to know) what Fan Fiction is go here www.fanfiction.net

Last edited by Josieb1; 10-08-2010 at 05:23 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:34 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If PDF reflow is so important, why buy a Kindle and not a Sony or one of the others that do PDF reflow? It's not like Amazon promised reflow was forthcoming.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-08-2010 at 05:36 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 05:42 AM   #18
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If PDF reflow is so important, why buy a Kindle and not a Sony or one of the others that do PDF reflow? It's not like Amazon promised reflow was forthcoming
I naively didn't even know what PDF reflow was when i bought the Kindle. As my Sony displayed PDF's okay i assumed all ereaders did.

I found out via a You Tube video done by babyd once she got her kindle, and was devastated, i was all ready to return the Kindle and buy the Sony 650 (I had the 505 and the 600) but once I realised Calibre could reformat my PDF's to MOBI i was okay, but if Calibre hadn't been able to do that the Kindle would have been returned and i would have bought a 650.

We are not all technicall wizards who know what the correct terminology is. Prior to having the Kindle i spent over a year with two Sony ereaders and never visited this forum.

All i am saying is PDF reflow is important, and just because you (and others) don't like PDF doesn't mean it should be pushed to one side and ignored.

Last edited by Josieb1; 10-08-2010 at 05:44 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:27 AM   #19
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Fan Fiction is a hugly popular pastime and the fact the authors can easily convert their work into PDF's for others to download and enjoy while still partially protecting their own copyright is what makes it the number one format in Fan Fiction.
Why can't they do that in say, epub or mobi (or something designed to be read in an ereader, vs printed out)? What's so special about PDF?

Indeed, I've noticed that Feedbooks seems to publish a lot of fan fiction...that's converted to whatever you want when you download.

Anyway, that's probably exactly why Amazon doesn't support it. They really don't want you reading anything but ebooks from Amazon. That's how they make their money, they aren't really selling the thing at a huge markup like some other companies (Sony for instance).

I would suspect that's why their free classics are so poorly done, but that's probably more attributable to incompetence than malice.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:34 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
In what way does the PDF format "protect copyright"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 06:35 AM   #21
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Why can't they do that in say, epub or mobi (or something designed to be read in an ereader, vs printed out)? What's so special about PDF?
PDF is easy, most fan fiction writers are more concerned with writing (which after all is their hobby), they are only offering PDF downloads because people want speed and most fan fiction readers still read on PC's, not on ereaders.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:37 AM   #22
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
In what way does the PDF format "protect copyright"?
I am guessing the writer feels a story written by them and offered as a PDF is less likely to be copied and posted by someone else as 'their' story if it needs to be converted to a RTF first. If they offered RTF or word downloads then those stories would be easy to pass off as written by someone else.

Yes that happens in Fan Fiction, sad but true

I didn't even know until yesterday that a PDF could be converted back to a RTF using Calibre!
Old 10-08-2010, 07:01 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I am guessing the writer feels a story written by them and offered as a PDF is less likely to be copied and posted by someone else as 'their' story if it needs to be converted to a RTF first. If they offered RTF or word downloads then those stories would be easy to pass off as written by someone else.
Given that most fan fiction is itself breaking copyright law by creating a "derived work" without the original author's permission, I can't help seeing a certain irony in the authors of such work complaining about their "rights" being violated .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:28 AM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Given that most fan fiction is itself breaking copyright law by creating a "derived work" without the original author's permission, I can't help seeing a certain irony in the authors of such work complaining about their "rights" being violated
Thank you so much for saying what I've been thinking.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:37 AM   #25
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Given that most fan fiction is itself breaking copyright law by creating a "derived work" without the original author's permission, I can't help seeing a certain irony in the authors of such work complaining about their "rights" being violated .
Yes I agree with you (even though I read it) but we are okay in Supernatural as the creater of the show is quite happy with fan fiction, and even incorporated it into his show!

Last edited by Josieb1; 10-08-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:39 AM   #26
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
hmmm.. the little Ectaco Jetbook handles PDF's of all varieties as if they were epubs or mobis. This said, if a little, inexpensive 5" screen reader can do it, cannot Amazon figure a way? Perhaps they just don't want us buying someone else's pdfs. That unfortunately will be their loss. I use a utility that cuts the pdf in half (I think) then formats each piece as a page and converts to Sony format. Then I convert to mobi. Not as time consuming as it sounds considering the amount of time one spends reading one book. I don't mind taking an extra 2 minutes to format for my wonderful new Kindle 3and I really only convert or load the books I'm reading, not entire collections.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #27
MattP
MattP began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
conversion to epub or mobi is not the solution for me

Quote:
I naively didn't even know what PDF reflow was when i bought the Kindle. As my Sony displayed PDF's okay i assumed all ereaders did.

I found out via a You Tube video done by babyd once she got her kindle, and was devastated, i was all ready to return the Kindle and buy the Sony 650 (I had the 505 and the 600) but once I realised Calibre could reformat my PDF's to MOBI i was okay, but if Calibre hadn't been able to do that the Kindle would have been returned and i would have bought a 650.

We are not all technicall wizards who know what the correct terminology is. Prior to having the Kindle i spent over a year with two Sony ereaders and never visited this forum.

All i am saying is PDF reflow is important, and just because you (and others) don't like PDF doesn't mean it should be pushed to one side and ignored.
I have many documents in pdf which has some international characters. Nook does support pdf reflow and correctly display these characters, but when I convert them into epub or mobi, they don't display. pdf reflow is a huge plus for Nook, Sony, etc.
One another point: with pdf reflow, you retain original page numbers no matter how large the screen font is -with larger fonts, you have to turn more pages in order to jump to the next pdf page. this way you can reference an article downloaded as pdf into your ereader.
In addition to epub, pdf reflow is a huge issue that makes Kindle significantly less than a complete e-reading solution. Therefore, it has little to no use in academic environments.
MattP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #28
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
Why don't they just take some open source PDF reader app and compile it, wrap it in their terrible java gui, and incorp it into the next release, would take like a few nights of work to get going =X
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #29
BVLarson
Author
BVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
Yes, PDF was built to STOP documents from reflowing, that's the whole point, to make things like IRS printable documents no one could mess with and fit right on the page. Its tightly related to hardcopy, and therefore has no biz being used for website/ebook material unless you want to print it.
BVLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:43 PM   #30
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
and yet millions of idiots convert ebooks to pdf format, and put page numbers INTO THE GODDAMN PDF so that you can't convert them without seeing

once upon a time
body
body
body
body
body
body
body
body
body
body
this story sucks

Obviously you can manipulate the pdf to solve the problem, but it is a horrible and stupid mechanic. PDF has no right in the ebook world other than research journals and magazines, where pagination/layout is important to content/publishing.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote