Notices

Old 11-12-2012, 10:58 PM   #106
jabolo
jabolo began at the beginning.

Device: Icarus Excel
Hi Erkkia,

Thank you for your response.

So I think I am getting closer.

Depending on where ( I mean depending on which folder in the terminal) I type your command to connect to run Thightvnc I get different results.

1. When located in the folder with the file that where uploaded by you, I get the following:

"C:\Icarus\serial vnc app v0.1\bin\tvnjviewer-2.5.2>java -Dcom14=comxx -jar tightvnc-jviewer.jar -jpegImageQuality=Lossless -ViewOnly=yes
Failed to connect on port: null exception:gnu.io.NoSuchPortException
at gnu.io.CommPortIdentifier.getPortIdentifier(CommPo rtIdentifier.java:273)
at gnu.io.NRSerialPort.connect(NRSerialPort.java:39)
at com.glavsoft.viewer.Viewer.initializeSerial(Viewer .java:139)
at com.glavsoft.viewer.Viewer.main(Viewer.java:171)
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
at gnu.io.NRSerialPort.getOutputStream(NRSerialPort.j ava:75)
at com.glavsoft.viewer.Viewer.initializeSerial(Viewer .java:140)
at com.glavsoft.viewer.Viewer.main(Viewer.java:171)"

2. When located in the unzipped folder downloaded from TightVnc website
I get the the window asking for the Remote Host. And after inputting the "Localhost", it connects, but nothing happens on the reader.

Any suggestions?

Thank you
jabolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #107
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Does anybody know why in the Onyx PDF reader when they do scribbling a local refresh (limited to the scribbling area) is possible while when they do highlighting they refresh the entire page?

Is this due to programming or due to eINK refresh limitations combined with some PDF process limitations (highlighting vs scribbling)
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #108
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
As M92 is based on Freescale i.MX508, it could be useful to know that this SoC has USB Downloader mode for downloading arbitrary code into RAM and executing it.

On recent Kindles (which are using the same SoC) this mode can be enabled with holding of physical key in (re)booting process:
Quote:
Originally Posted by https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169645
To get your kindle touch or k4nt into USB Recovery mode, plug in the USB cable, the press and hold the power switch until the power LED turns off, then press and hold the "Magic Key", then release the power switch, then release the "Magic Key". The "Magic Key" is a special button that is different on each model of kindle, and is used to enter USB Recovery mode.

Kindle Model, Magic Key:
Touch, Home button
K4NT, Five-Way Down button
In this mode device is recognized as NS Blank CODEX:
Code:
[13973.993075] usb 1-1: new high speed USB device number 11 using ehci_hcd
[13974.108477] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=15a2, idProduct=0052
[13974.108486] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[13974.108494] usb 1-1: Product: NS Blank CODEX 
[13974.108499] usb 1-1: Manufacturer: Freescale SemiConductor Inc
You can also look at Kindle 4 kernel sources with enabled USB OTG: http://www.christian-hoff.com/ (Kindle 4 is also based on i.MX508).
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #109
jabolo

Hi Eureka!

I assume this answer is meant to help me. Thank you for your post.
I am not sure what to do with this information. Would you be able to dumb it down ?
Old 11-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #110
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabolo View Post
Hi Eureka!

I assume this answer is meant to help me. Thank you for your post.
I am not sure what to do with this information. Would you be able to dumb it down ?
No, sorry, it will not help you. I just dumped info here.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #111
jabolo

I guess I will have to wait for Erkkia.

To clarify my older post, as it doesn't make much sense.

1. I get the message below when I run Erkkia's VNC client"
"C:\Icarus\serial vnc app v0.1\bin\tvnjviewer-2.5.2>java -Dcom14=comxx -jar tightvnc-jviewer.jar -jpegImageQuality=Lossless -ViewOnly=yes

2. When I run unmodified VNC client than it says its is connected, but nothing shows on the reader's screen.

Thank you,
Old 11-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #112
jabolo

I guess I will have to wait for Erkkia.

To clarify my older post, as it doesn't make much sense.

2. When I run unmodified VNC client than it says its is connected, but nothing shows on the reader's screen.

Thank you,
Old 11-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #113
erkkia
erkkia doesn't littererkkia doesn't littererkkia doesn't litter

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabolo View Post
Sorry, the readme is a bit unclear on this one.
Replace
Quote:
-Dcom14=comxx
with
Quote:
-Dboox_serial_port=COM14
erkkia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #114
jabolo

Erkkia!!

It worked!

When I looked at your post, the answer became obvious.

Thank you again!
Old 12-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #115
kekXs
kekXs began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
may I join the club?

Hey guys,

I'm new in the forum, since I have just ordered a M92 as ereader and it will be my first e-ink based reading device (so far I've been using an iPad for such endeavours, and it has performed pretty well I must say, but I still feel my eyes quite tired after 'long' -understanding that as 2 hours or more- reading sessions). I hope that the new M92 will help keep my eyes a little happier...

I've been reading quite a lot these last days about the device, and I must say I'm quite surprised (and happy) to have found this community of people devoted to improving the M92 and developing new software. As far as I can tell, the device is right now pretty popular and considered the state of the art -at least in the 9.7" segment of e-readers. And much of its success comes, without a doubt, from the work done by all of you (and the legendary Booxstor! ). I've been familiarizing myself with how the device is built, with its OS and the SDK...

By the way, I'm a consultant/project manager in my day job , so I'd be happy to try and contribute with something to further improve the device and its capabilities. During these last years I've been stuck in Windows development (mostly .net, both in Vb .net and C#), but I had my fair share of linux/bsd/osx, C/C++ to be comfortable there too (I´ve been using linux for more than 15 years... don't ask me how long it took me to get that thing hooked up to the Internets when there were only 14400 modems available... Luckily enough, the brain is selective in terms of the memories kept! ). But it's been quite a long time since last time I programmed under linux! And never for the arm platform, always x86, so some things might be new for me.

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself to the community. Sorry for the semilong post! I hope that, time permitting, we can build some interesting things for this little and charming device!

Greetings,

keks
kekXs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #116
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Hi kekXs! Welcome aboard!
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #117
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
My humble thanks to each and everybody for developing boox softwares and especially to "erkkia" for making my "Boox M92 as E-ink Monitor".

I just want to add some info. I am running on windows 7 64 bit and my system had problems installing/detecting the drivers. They installed but still gave some errors. So the solution is (if somebody else face the problem) -
a) Remove the drivers and disconnect the device.
b) download driver for device id vid_0525&pid_a4a7. It is acer gadget serial network chip v2.4
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/...8-4b88ada376fa
c)install the driver as legacy driver (without connecting the device) and reboot the system

Now the device will be detected without any problem. There might be problem with digital signature but that can be turned off easily.
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #118
itsdev
itsdev began at the beginning.

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post
My humble thanks to each and everybody for developing boox softwares and especially to "erkkia" for making my "Boox M92 as E-ink Monitor".

I just want to add some info. I am running on windows 7 64 bit and my system had problems installing/detecting the drivers. They installed but still gave some errors. So the solution is (if somebody else face the problem) -
a) Remove the drivers and disconnect the device.
b) download driver for device id vid_0525&pid_a4a7. It is acer gadget serial network chip v2.4
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/...8-4b88ada376fa
c)install the driver as legacy driver (without connecting the device) and reboot the system

Now the device will be detected without any problem. There might be problem with digital signature but that can be turned off easily.
Hi Feher,

I am also running Windows 7 x64 and cannot get the device to detect when I run start_usb_serial. The driver you have pointed to doesn't seem to support x64 architecture?

Can anybody suggest what might be causing my issues? The device won't be recognised by Windows when I attempt to run the serial connection.

I'm not sure where to go with this but I would love to get the M92 working as an additional monitor for a project I am working on.

Thanks.
itsdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:30 AM   #119
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Hi itsdev,

I have 64 bit system too and this driver worked for me.
I had slightly different problem - my device was getting recognized when i ran usbserial.oar but i would get the error drivers cannot be found or installed.
When you run unbserial.oar, do you see any new unidentified device in device manager? If so ,then check if our device id is same by Right clicking on unidentified hardware -> select properties -> under details tab, select "hardware id".

Follow the two steps and let me know if it works for you.
1. Install driver as legacy driver
a)Unack the archive
b)DIsconnect onyx boox
c)Goto Device manager -> Under action tab, choose "Add legacy driver" -> Install hardware manually -> Slelect ports (com and lpt) -> select acer incorporated and now choose driver from "have disk" option -> install the drivers .
d)restart the system
*Later you will see that new driver was installed if you go to the same option again

2. Turn off windows driver digital signature checking.

*I dont know if you have to folow this step or not. In my case i installed driver from some other sources initially, in turn my drivers got corrupted. So i had to turn off drivers digital signature verification.
To turn it off - press F8 when you restart the windows and you will see an option to boot windows without digital signature verification

Last edited by Feher; 02-14-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #120
itsdev
itsdev began at the beginning.

Hi Feher,

The problem is when I connect the device, Windows doesn't see anything, it doesn't appear as an unidentified device or anything. Device manager shows nothing. (After running start_usb_serial).

I also tried to install this driver as a legacy driver when I was trying to make it work yesterday but no luck. I find the .inf file and install it but each time it would show an error. I'm leaning towards drivers being the issue but I'm not sure why it doesn't recognise the device in the first place, even as an unknown device.

Last edited by itsdev; 02-14-2013 at 05:37 PM.
itsdev is offline   Reply With Quote