Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #46
jsj
jsj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kobo questions...

There is nothing unclear about "55 hours of battery life with light on". That is a lot of battery life! You could go almost a month reading two hours a day, with the Glo feature on... and that's a LOT of reading.

What doesn't make sense is the "One month with the light off" statement. The device surely uses less power with the light off. The only explanation I can think of is this means one month of continuous use (1 month x 30 days x 24 hours a day = 720 hours). Although I doubt this is the case because that's a crazy long amount of battery life.

I wish manufacturers would simply state their battery life in terms of hours of continuous use instead of this "1/2 hour of reading per day" crap.

Incidentally, I have no idea if the Kobo Glo will support landscape mode... but if it doesn't, I'm afraid I'll end up sticking with Amazon and getting a Paperwhite.
jsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #47
Lunchtray
Connoisseur
Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Gen 1
I'd think the difference in the time is that the 30min per day includes the daily turning on (booting) of the device which drains more battery power than turning it on once and reading for 55hrs straight with the glo light on.

From my non-scientific experience with my touch I turn it on (boot it) approx 3 times a day and read between 1.5-2hrs (30 min a session) and it'll last around 40-50ish hrs of reading time before I have to recharge it which takes about 1 month.

Turning it on once with a Glo feature I would believe you could read with Glo on for 55hrs straight in one sitting...

Last edited by Lunchtray; 09-10-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Lunchtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #48
sombreastre
Enthusiast
sombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle 4 | kobo glo(?)
Lunchtray, on a sidenote, If you don't mind me asking, why do you turn it off and on? Doesn't kobo touch have a stand-by mode which should drain no battery?(unless indexing some new book).

Last edited by sombreastre; 09-10-2012 at 04:09 PM.
sombreastre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #49
PinkET
Enthusiast
PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Glo
I think I did read somewhere it has landscape.

I am not going into a discussion about the battery claims, because we would fill three pages with speculations and still not have an answer.
I am going to wait for an answer from Kobo.

Last edited by PinkET; 09-10-2012 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Utmwtsast
PinkET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #50
PinkET
Enthusiast
PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchtray View Post
From my non-scientific experience with my touch I turn it on (boot it) approx 3 times a day and read between 1.5-2hrs (30 min a session) and it'll last around 40-50ish hrs of reading time before I have to recharge it which takes about 1 month.
nice blooper
Old 09-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #51
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsj View Post
What doesn't make sense is the "One month with the light off" statement. The device surely uses less power with the light off. The only explanation I can think of is this means one month of continuous use (1 month x 30 days x 24 hours a day = 720 hours). Although I doubt this is the case because that's a crazy long amount of battery life.
Why? Given that eBooks are normally sold with 15.000 page turns, I'd say that this number sounds reasonable.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #52
PinkET
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Why? Given that eBooks are normally sold with 15.000 page turns, I'd say that this number sounds reasonable.
No, it doesn't. No e-reader battery even comes anywhere near 700 hrs.

Page turns are based on big fonts and fast readers.

Don't believe everything marketing is trying to sell you.

15.000 pages x 1 min per page = 250 hrs which still is far out of reach of any battery.

Meanwhile I'm hoping for an answer from Kobo
Old 09-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #53
Lunchtray
Connoisseur
Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombreastre View Post
Lunchtray, on a sidenote, If you don't mind me asking, why do you turn it off and on? Doesn't kobo touch have a stand-by mode which should drain no battery?(unless indexing some new book).
My settings are 15min "sleep" and 30min to Power Off. It's my understanding that leaving your Kobo in stand-by (sleep) mode all the time will use up a lot of battery itself since the kobo is still powering the memory for a fast on/resume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkET View Post
nice blooper
HAHAHA! oops missing punctuation but you all know what I meant anyways.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #54
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I'm torn. I can't wait for a side by side review and since I'm out here on the edge of the world, you guys in Canada and the US will likely be posting those reviews long before either the Paperwhite or Glo get out here.

I noticed on an Indigo launch video, where the guy put a Kobo Touch, side by side with a Kobo Glo and you can't tell the difference between the screens without the front light on. So, there will be a difference between the Paperwhite and the Glo in terms of displayed text.

I noted that Amazon mentions a new reading experience. I wonder if that is simply the whiter display and front light or if it is also an improved menu system. Amazon's current one looks like it is 20 years old. Kobo's is really nice. My only negative issue with Kobo that is holding be back from ordering a Glo right away is the experience I've had with the recent firmware revisions. It seems recently, every time I buy a new book, something does wrong and I'm either doing hardware resets or dealing with a bricked device simply because I paid Kobo a little more money.

Last edited by TongueTied; 09-10-2012 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Arggggggggh, autocorrect
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
My settings are 15min "sleep" and 30min to Power Off. It's my understanding that leaving your Kobo in stand-by (sleep) mode all the time will use up a lot of battery itself since the kobo is still powering the memory for a fast on/resume.
But do you use more battery shutting down & turning back on then you do in sleep mode? Unless of course you aren't reading for at least a few days.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #56
Lunchtray
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But do you use more battery shutting down & turning back on then you do in sleep mode? Unless of course you aren't reading for at least a few days.
Well it depends on use right...

I read on the bus ride to work starting around 9am for 30min
from work home 30min
before bed at around for 30min -1 hr (asleep @ 12am)

Total time actively reading 1.5 - 2hrs with 3 boots

VS.

Time in sleep mode never turning it off at that schedule would be;
1 Boot, Active reading 1.5-2hrs, Sleep powered 13 - 13.5hrs, Turned off

Sleep mode would in that case use the most power because of the extreme length of time the device requires power. Off/Boot/Reading not as much.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #57
PinkET
Enthusiast

Kobo states that in standby mode it will hold it's charge for more than two months.

In other words, put it in standby, put it in a drawer, take it out after two months and it will still resume instantly.

Standby hardly uses any power. Keeping the memory powered uses only 1.5 volts at less than 1 mWh.

Rebooting on the other hand costs loads of power because the CPU will run at full throttle as it checks hardware and reads the OS into memory.

So putting your Kobo to sleep will gain you some time before charging.

Greetings
Old 09-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #58
Lunchtray
Connoisseur

I'll need to test that out but I highly doubt that only running standby will increase battery life due to the 24hrs/day standby drain and reading vs powering up a few times a day and reading.

There's probably a limit where powering it up from off will tip the balances in favor of sleep but it's probably a large number of boots.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #59
thp1017
Connoisseur
thp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo, KT, KGlo, H2O, Libra
I guess it wouldn't really bother me, even if I had to charge once a week, but I tend to read for an hour or three in the evenings a couple of nights a week, rather than a bit here and there, so I turn it off when I'm done reading. Obviously, YMMV, but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I did a "test" some time ago and here's what I found out (about my Kobo's battery life):

WiFi was off in all 3 "tests" and I only read ePubs.

sleep: 15 minutes
power off: never
firmware 1.9.17

ca. battery life: 2700 page turns in 12 days

sleep: manually every time when putting the Kobo away
power off: 1 hour
firmware 1.9.16

ca. battery life: 4200 page turns in 24 days

sleep: 5 minutes
power off: 10 minutes
firmware 1.9.17

ca. battery life: 4350 page turns in 15 days
As far as the paperwhite vs glo screen - according to the eink website, both are using the ""E Ink Pearl Active Matrix Display", and they have the same resolution. I was reading a review on Anandtech (techie/computer hardware review website), and I think they have the best still pics in their gallery - the videos can be nice, but I really like having still pictures for this sort of thing:

http://www.anandtech.com/Gallery/Album/2287#1

To me, the screen looks, without the lighting, about the same as all of the other eink screens. With the leds turned on, however, it looks a lot more "white,", so to me I'm wondering if that is where they are getting the higher contrast, new name, etc... and so the kobo glo with leds turned on could have the higher contrast as well. I could be wrong though I'm still looking forward to seeing an actual, side-by-side comparison!
thp1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I'll need to test that out but I highly doubt that only running standby will increase battery life due to the 24hrs/day standby drain and reading vs powering up a few times a day and reading.

There's probably a limit where powering it up from off will tip the balances in favor of sleep but it's probably a large number of boots.
One thing to try in your tests is to keep the Kobo in sleep when you finish reading on the train until you finish reading in bed. The time there is too short to get an advantage out of a full shutdown/reboot.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote