Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 12:17 AM   #61
krish
Connoisseur
krish began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 302, Kindle 3(Wifi), Sony PRS-950
I preordered 2x WiFi Kindle!!!! This is the perfect kindle for my and my wife's use. We do not need 3G. They improved a lot in the hardware also which I like very much compared to K2. Perfect price point tempting anyone to take the plunge!
krish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:18 AM   #62
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Wonder how long before the competition reacts? The prices for the Sony 300 and 600 now officially look like jokes.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 12:20 AM   #63
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Doesn't Amazon have some exclusive right to the new pearl screen? Something like six-months, I think. I may be misremembering that.
This is from the announcement:

Quote:
New Proprietary Screen Technology-Faster Page Turns, New and Improved Fonts: Kindle's all-new, high-contrast electronic ink display is further optimized with Amazon's proprietary waveform and font technology to make pages turn faster and fonts sharper.
I'm not sure what all "proprietary" applies to, but it is very interesting...

I pre-ordered the Graphite WiFi model to go with its big brother I just got, the KDXG.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:26 AM   #64
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've been waiting for months for this announcement. I just ordered one.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:32 AM   #65
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Wonder how long before the competition reacts? The prices for the Sony 300 and 600 now officially look like jokes.
I think if Sony does not step up to plate very soon they will loose this war like they did with Betamax (sp?). Amazon really surprised me this past month and Sony and B&N are now trailing far behind. The Nook seems to be on or near par with the K2, but this changes everything. I'm sure glad I just sold my PRS900!
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 12:33 AM   #66
Avex
Avex began at the beginning.

Device: iTouch 4th gen,Nook WiFi
Looks tempting especially the battery duration.

Can last a month (with the wireless off) and 3 weeks (with the wireless on)..Sound irresistible. I probably ask my uncle in UK to get me one.
Avex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:39 AM   #67
Mr. Dalliard
Zealot
Mr. Dalliard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Is Amazon dumping this to kill off competition, or are its competitors simply overcharging?

Anyway, extremely tempting, but my heart is set on 1 9+" reader.
Perhaps I should just get one anyway, to tide me over.
Mr. Dalliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:43 AM   #68
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avex View Post
Can last a month (with the wireless off) and 3 weeks (with the wireless on)..Sound irresistible. I probably ask my uncle in UK to get me one.
It's really disappointing we STILL can't buy one straight from Amazon though, isn't it. I guess I will have to have AMEX jump through the hoops for me again - for a fee, of course - in order to get a long promised Kindle for my wife.
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:54 AM   #69
jswinden
Nameless Being

Woohoo, you can sync up collections between two Kindles. From the manual;

Quote:
Adding Collections from Another Kindle

If you have more than one Kindle registered to your Amazon account, you can add the collections from another Kindle and merge them with collections on your current Kindle. This is useful if you've set up an organization system on another Kindle and you want use it on your current Kindle. The new collections will appear in Home on your current Kindle. Kindle books from the other device can be manually downloaded from Archived Items and they will appear in Home.

For example, suppose you have two devices named Tom's Kindle and Judy's Kindle. If Tom's Kindle already includes some collections, you can copy those collections and merge them with the collections on Judy's Kindle. After you copy the collections from Tom's Kindle to Judy's Kindle, then both devices will have the same collections.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:14 AM   #70
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Just ordered my new K3 in graphite with 3G. So excited!!!!
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:19 AM   #71
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaB View Post
Don't miss the new cover with a built-in light.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Lighted...Z165W/ref=_1_2
bah! looks awkward and STILL has the hooks! not doing THAT again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafaforza View Post
I have a PRS-505 and use Calibre to download news sources in the morning.

Is this possible on the Kindle? How would it work with wifi only?
the calibre works for news sources since K1
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:19 AM   #72
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
Just ordered my new K3 in graphite with 3G. So excited!!!!
Me too. I got the apple green cover for it also.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:22 AM   #73
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Amazon posted the specs and I see the new Kindle is only 0.5 inches smaller and a tiny bit thinner. They must be using it's thinness in calculating the 21% smaller.
Small changes get impressive when your base calculation in cm³ – then reduction comes with the power of 3.

Martin
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:48 AM   #74
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
they will be $99 for Christmas
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:52 AM   #75
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I would love one of these. The higher contrast screen would be great. If you download a book via wifi will it be cheaper? It should be because there will be no charge to the 3g network provider.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote